What's new

Plebiscite would never happen in Kashmir, said Ayub Khan in 1959

Alpha Fighter

Reaction score
Country
India
That's our history." In an exclusive conversation with TOI, Haqqani says the space for "friendship" between India and Pakistan is shrinking

Why is your book important in this crowded market of India-Pakistan writing?
I have broken the pattern of Pakistanis who only blame India for the impasse in the relationship and also share details, which Indians will find surprising, about how India contributed to making this relationship adverse.

For example, I have listed occasions where Indians have missed opportunities to try and reach out to Pakistan, try and help Pakistan overcome the psychosis that has fed the culture of fear in Pakistan. On the other hand, I have listed and pointed out how Pakistan has been virtually consistent in its hostility to India.

One very interesting detail is the exchange of letters between the US secretary of state James Baker and PM Nawaz Sharif in 1992. To think that 24 years ago Pakistan was saying similar things to what it is saying now on terrorism and the international community was saying exactly what they are saying now. It shows that for a quarter of a century, there has been absolutely consistency in Pakistan's conduct as well as its excuses.

To ask you your own question, why can't India and Pakistan be friends?

One of the little incidents I did not write in the book -- in 1949, Prime Minister (Jawaharlal) Nehru was invited to the United States. It was the first visit by independent India's PM. According to the declassified minutes of the meeting with President Truman, he asks Nehru, "what can we do for India?" Nehru talked to him about how India needed to modernize its agriculture and build institutes of technology similar to MIT. He also asked for American assistance in these massive projects.

A few months later, Pakistan PM Liaquat Ali Khan was invited to Washington. He too met President Truman, who asked him the same question. Liaquat took out of his pocket a list of the military equipment Pakistan needed and handed it over. This episode of two prime ministers right at the beginning encapsulate the different national priorities. The consequence of those priorities is what we are living with today.

Read Full interview ....... Wow PAK, since its inception don't want to develop.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...id-Ayub-Khan-in-1959/articleshow/52195541.cms

Back
Top Bottom