What's new

"Please save Pakistan's sinking textile"

tinguzzz

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
KARACHI: Mohammad Ahsan is worried. The father of three was laid off last year when power outages and recession forced his bosses to close the garment factory where he worked.

Ahsan spent months searching for work and finally a small garments factory based in a suburban industrial park offered him a job. But he now fears that a similar spell of unemployment is round the corner.

Global yarn production is down. Pakistani producers are cutting local contracts and exporting to China, where prices are higher than at home. For Pakistani manufacturing already on the brink, it’s a death sentence.

“It seems the situation is getting worse again,” said Ahsan.

Living in Karachi’s impoverished Mauripur neighbourhood, he earns Rs.9, 000 (US $107) a month. His wife works as a maid and contributes 2,000 rupees to the household kitty. “It’s difficult to make ends meet. We are hearing about further lay-offs. We’re doomed,” he said.

The textile sector is one of the key drivers of the Pakistani economy, accounting for around 55 per cent of all exports, according to the official figures.

Last week, thousands of workers in Pakistan’s key textile hubs Faisalabad, where they blocked traffic and damaged properties, and Karachi went on strike to demand a ban on exports of yarn and cotton.

Manufacturers fear large-scale redundancies are on the horizon and some senior government officials agree with them.

“Export of Pakistani yarn -- lifeline of our value-added textiles -- makes our own country uncompetitive and benefits our rivals,” said Khurram Mukhtar, chairman of the Pakistan Textile Exporters Association.

If our industry collapses, millions of workers and their families would be deprived of their bread and it would be a huge catastrophe.

“It is true that uncertainty in our most rewarding export sector could force job cuts,” said Mirza Ikhtiar Beg, an adviser on textiles to Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.

Beg said at least 38 per cent of the country’s workforce was involved in textiles.

In response to last week’s protests, Beg said the government had imposed a 15 percent regulatory duty on yarn exports for two months. But cotton producers, furious at an intervention they say will cost them money, retaliated with their own strike.

“We shut 450 spinning mills across the country to protest against the regulatory duty, which is one-sided and just to appease those in value-added textiles,” Yasin Siddique, a spokesman for Pakistani yarn merchants, told AFP.

He said spinners will strike at least once a week until the government withdraws the new tariff.

The government’s intervention has also sparked independent criticism. “It will discourage free market strategy and deprive the yarn exporters of the profits they deserve,” warned an economist Ashfaq Hasan Khan.

Fellow economist A.B. Shahid also criticised the move. “The government’s economic policies are so insensible and imprudent, they are going to foment serious instability in our country, which is already plagued with terrorism and serious law and order situation,” he told AFP. “The government’s intervention in the textile controversy and imposing tax on the yarn export without consulting the concerned parties is bound to create a further economic uncertainty.” He suggested that last week’s protests could be just the tip of the iceberg.

“Such policies will especially create unrest in our cities because people in the urban centers are aware of their rights and could take to the streets for violent demonstrations,” Shahid warned.

Ahsan just hopes his factory stays open. “My family suffered a lot when I was rendered jobless last year. We don’t want to suffer the same way again,” he said.

KARACHI: Mohammad Ahsan is worried. The father of three was laid off last year when power outages and recession forced his bosses to close the garment factory where he worked.

Ahsan spent months searching for work and finally a small garments factory based in a suburban industrial park offered him a job. But he now fears that a similar spell of unemployment is round the corner.

Global yarn production is down. Pakistani producers are cutting local contracts and exporting to China, where prices are higher than at home. For Pakistani manufacturing already on the brink, it’s a death sentence.

“It seems the situation is getting worse again,” said Ahsan.

Living in Karachi’s impoverished Mauripur neighbourhood, he earns Rs.9, 000 (US $107) a month. His wife works as a maid and contributes 2,000 rupees to the household kitty. “It’s difficult to make ends meet. We are hearing about further lay-offs. We’re doomed,” he said.

The textile sector is one of the key drivers of the Pakistani economy, accounting for around 55 per cent of all exports, according to the official figures.

Last week, thousands of workers in Pakistan’s key textile hubs Faisalabad, where they blocked traffic and damaged properties, and Karachi went on strike to demand a ban on exports of yarn and cotton.

Manufacturers fear large-scale redundancies are on the horizon and some senior government officials agree with them.

“Export of Pakistani yarn -- lifeline of our value-added textiles -- makes our own country uncompetitive and benefits our rivals,” said Khurram Mukhtar, chairman of the Pakistan Textile Exporters Association.

If our industry collapses, millions of workers and their families would be deprived of their bread and it would be a huge catastrophe.

“It is true that uncertainty in our most rewarding export sector could force job cuts,” said Mirza Ikhtiar Beg, an adviser on textiles to Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani.

Beg said at least 38 per cent of the country’s workforce was involved in textiles.

In response to last week’s protests, Beg said the government had imposed a 15 percent regulatory duty on yarn exports for two months. But cotton producers, furious at an intervention they say will cost them money, retaliated with their own strike.

“We shut 450 spinning mills across the country to protest against the regulatory duty, which is one-sided and just to appease those in value-added textiles,” Yasin Siddique, a spokesman for Pakistani yarn merchants, told AFP.

He said spinners will strike at least once a week until the government withdraws the new tariff.

The government’s intervention has also sparked independent criticism. “It will discourage free market strategy and deprive the yarn exporters of the profits they deserve,” warned an economist Ashfaq Hasan Khan.

Fellow economist A.B. Shahid also criticised the move. “The government’s economic policies are so insensible and imprudent, they are going to foment serious instability in our country, which is already plagued with terrorism and serious law and order situation,” he told AFP. “The government’s intervention in the textile controversy and imposing tax on the yarn export without consulting the concerned parties is bound to create a further economic uncertainty.” He suggested that last week’s protests could be just the tip of the iceberg.

“Such policies will especially create unrest in our cities because people in the urban centers are aware of their rights and could take to the streets for violent demonstrations,” Shahid warned.

Ahsan just hopes his factory stays open. “My family suffered a lot when I was rendered jobless last year. We don’t want to suffer the same way again,” he said.

Thanks for ur concern, indian friend :coffee:

Latest news is that the Fecking APTMA has withdrawn their strike call and are willing to talk to the GOP. Its ridiculous to see a body that is supposed to consider the interest of the whole textiles industry is going on strike to please just a small portion of the industry. Its also ridiculous because for the benefit of our economy we need to strengthen the finished goods sector of Textiles as it yields the maximum profits. I myself work in the Textile Industry and i know for a fact how we are rapidly loosing business to China, India and Bangladesh because of these price hikes. Its high time the GOP takes some action in this regard unless it wants to close down the textile industry except spinning and ginning.

can you provide me the source please

When this industry was recession hit you i didnt read such title and now when everything is on track once again - all sectors are recovering - you are asking us to save Pakistan's sinking textile?

Either its an old news or the journalist has gone nuts

never mind

found the link

yarn608x325.jpg

DAWN.COM | Business | "Please save Pakistan's sinking textile"

can you provide me the source please

When this industry was recession hit you i didnt read such title and now when everything is on track once again - all sectors are recovering - you are asking us to save Pakistan's sinking textile?

Either its an old news or the journalist has gone nuts

Dude everything is not on track, let me explain the scenario.

Europe and USA have just started emerging from the recession by the end of 2009. People of USA and the European countries who were saving money because of recession and were only buying bare necessities came out and started shopping for clothes. The large brands who were refraining from building up inventories judged the situation as improving and in an effort to build up inventories started placing large garment orders. (If you are not aware most of the base fabric for these garments is bought from China, Pakistan, India and Bangladesh/Sri Lanka.) Simultaneously, the cotton crop yielded less than previous years internationally and thus while the demand for cotton increased, the supply decreased. China although is one of the biggest exporters of cotton is the largest importer of cotton in the region. What the govt. of China did was that they held their own stocks of cotton intact and started imported more cotton and yarns (the fibers which make our clothes or "Dhaga" as we call it in Urdu) from India and Pakistan. When the ginners (the cotton purifiers) and Spinners (factories who convert cotton into yarn... "Dhaga") saw that they were getting better rates for their products from China and other countries, they started exporting their products which in turn created a shortage of cotton and yarns in the local market. In the mean time, India banned export of cotton and yarns which further increased the demand of Pakistani cotton and yarns and further reduced cotton and yarn stock available for the local industry. This shortage of yarns and cotton directly affected the finished products industry like Weaving ( factories that make fabric out of yarns) and finishing (factories that process the fabric like dyeing and finishing) which in turn affected the garment manufacturers who bough fabric from these finish and weaving mills. Below is the total process of textiles,

Ginning (Purifying cotton) -----> Spinning (Making Yarns from cotton)------>Weaving (making fabric from yarns)-----> Processing (Dyeing, Printing and finish of raw fabric)------> Garment Making

So if anybody bothered reading the whole explaining that I have given you can well understand that under current situation, only the first two sectors are flourishing while the remaining textile industry is in disarray.

F86 Sabre:
Fairly accurate picture about the cotton industry. I see some posters ridiculing India's ban saying it is meant to hurt pakistan. What they understand is that their governments policies are ina short term leading to shortage of raw material for local industry and in a long term to shifting of the industry to Bangladesh due to low costs there.

I seriously dont get why Pakistan dint ban the exports. They should have gotten a hint atleast after India did that. I thought Pakistan itself buys excess raw material from India. Now they are exporting to countries like China and filling their pockets.

Hey.. we are now working hard to source our cotton from Africa and helping the African farmers to create buffer stock in Bangladesh or in some intermediate country like Dubai so that their lead time in shipping to come down to a reasonable level. I know next year Indians will come down here and crying to sell their cotton... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

well if they are saying that gov should provide electricity then they are right. but if they are asking gov to give subsidy to textile then i dont agree. if they still havent evolved themselves to keep them floating then forget it. many other sectors will replace them.

Lot of textile/garment factorizes have closed down over the few years, in lahore area. My uncle lost a lot of business due to the factories closing down, used to be a really good buisness.

well if they are saying that gov should provide electricity then they are right. but if they are asking gov to give subsidy to textile then i dont agree. if they still havent evolved themselves to keep them floating then forget it. many other sectors will replace them.

They are asking govt. to provide them with subsidies because they current economic/domestic situation of Pakistan is not suitable for this business. They are getting electricity on much higher rates than India,China and Bangladesh/Srilanka. Moreover they are forced to run their units on diesel/patrol generators for hours which adds up to the cost. Our gas prices are also higher than the above mentioned countries which happen to be our major competitors in this sector (not to forget gas load shedding which decreases productivity).

Our spinners are exporting yarn to China for better offers which has created a shortage in domestic market, hence the prices have shoot up. In these circumstances it is becoming very difficult to run a feasible value added textile unit. We are loosing our markets to India/China. Already 10s of units have been shut down and if govt. does not takes appropriate measures we could possibly end up in a bigger mess due to decrease in our exports and unemployment.

Last edited:

Actually its complicated. APTMA (All Pakistan Textile Mills Association) is supposed to be looking after the interest of the whole industry. But as the GOP has imposed 15% duty on yarn export to support the finished goods sector, APTMA has called for strikes only of the spinning units to pressurize the GOP to rescind the duty. This is absolutely ridiculous because finished goods bring more revenue and higher profit and benefits the overall industry and the economy. While APTMA should have taken steps itself to ensure there is no shortage of yarn and cotton in Pakistan, which they have not, they are now behaving even more irrationally by revolting against the duty imposed.

I heard somewhere 65% of Pakistan exports is textile. So i think this is cause of concern.
As economist say - never sell Raw material, sell the finished good.
I know India sells lot of Iron ore to China, and the same ore is converted to toys /other goods and dumped back to Indian and world at value added cost.

But this is open economy. Selling or not selling Raw material is Independent countries choice.
British robbed India by doing same, Took the Raw material and dumped the finshed goods accross the world, and brought prosperity to their mother land. China is doing same, and why not.

And there is huge potential for Pakistan if it gets access to Indian market. I remember Zardari talking abt Cement factories in Pakistan will be highly benefited if they are allowed to enter India, as they can sell Cement at much lower rate.

what's the current situation of spinning sector? are spinning mills currently profitable?

Back
Top Bottom