What's new

pilot explains hal dhruv and its cockpit

Cool, thanks buddy. Pls paste the same content in Sticky thread of LCH, LUH, Druva thread.

Looking at the success of Dhruv, and rapid development of LCH, I've very optimistic about LUH. Hopefully they'll post a video on it's first flight soon.

I also wanna see the HTT 40 flying soon. Hopefullyy, being less complicated, it will go to induction pretty soon.

I also wanna see the HTT 40 flying soon. Hopefullyy, being less complicated, it will go to induction pretty soon.
Let's hope so, this MoD's pandering has meant that the IAF has an outstanding requirement for 100+ BTTs that should have gone to Pilatus for more PC-7 Mk.2s but instead has been promised to HAL. Every day HAL doesn't deliver this requirement remains unfulfilled and a serious constraint remains on the already pilot short IAF.

I'll be happy if they can come up with a light attack version of it.
Why? There is zero requirement for such a plane in the Indian armed forces, maybe for export but that is a LONG way off.

Let's hope so, this MoD's pandering has meant that the IAF has an outstanding requirement for 100+ BTTs that should have gone to Pilatus for more PC-7 Mk.2s but instead has been promised to HAL. Every day HAL doesn't deliver this requirement remains unfulfilled and a serious constraint remains on the already pilot short IAF.

Why? There is zero requirement for such a plane in the Indian armed forces, maybe for export but that is a LONG way off.

Look at it this way....

The F 22 is the Bentley of the world, highly capable but extremely expensive and an overkill for most countries in the world that don't have the GDP to afford even one. Most of the countries in the world (think Trinidad, Bhutan etc.) are better off with Light planes wayyyyy below even conventional jets like LCA for practical security and reconnosaince reasons. Instead of a jet fighter that'll cost several 1000 USD per hr, a highly efficient low maintenance prop which costs a few hundred is more practical for them. They need a Maruti of fighter jets/ reconnaissance planes.

The thinking is that a country like India that developed a complex product like LCA:

- Building a light prop plane should be easy (like HTT 40 which is anyway being built for IAF)
- Putting in the good stuff for a potent light fighter should be easy (MMR, fighting systems 'inspired' by LCA, cannon and precision bombing etc.)

@Skull and Bones imagine an HTT 40 with unstable config and miniature AESA....that would probably take over the market :lol:. Of course you need lots of power and miniaturizing heavy AESA pretty damn near impossible, but just thinking out loud.:enjoy:

Look at it this way....

The F 22 is the Bentley of the world, highly capable but extremely expensive and an overkill for most countries in the world that don't have the GDP to afford even one. Most of the countries in the world (think Trinidad, Bhutan etc.) are better off with Light planes wayyyyy below even conventional jets like LCA for practical security and reconnosaince reasons. Instead of a jet fighter that'll cost several 1000 USD per hr, a highly efficient low maintenance prop which costs a few hundred is more practical for them. They need a Maruti of fighter jets/ reconnaissance planes.

The thinking is that a country like India that developed a complex product like LCA:

- Building a light prop plane should be easy (like HTT 40 which is anyway being built for IAF)
- Putting in the good stuff for a potent light fighter should be easy (MMR, fighting systems 'inspired' by LCA, cannon and precision bombing etc.)
I understand the market for such armed light aircaft but am saying there is zero market for such in India and India's needs should be met first so I hope HAL don't invest much time in that aspect until the trainer version is in service.

I understand the market for such armed light aircaft but am saying there is zero market for such in India and India's needs should be met first so I hope HAL don't invest much time in that aspect until the trainer version is in service.

Of course the Trainer should be delivered first. If they can't even do that properly we might as well shut them down.

Of course the Trainer should be delivered first. If they can't even do that properly we might as well shut them down.
I have no doubt they can do it but the biggest question/issue is WHEN. As I have pointed out, there is a huge outstanding requirement for these aircraft from the IAF (and IN in the future) and they are essential to the IAF boosting its pilot intake. If this plane is only ready 10 years from now it will be a collossal failure, already it should have been far closer to production than it already is. As it stands, it won't be before 2019/20 before this bird is in service in any meaningful number but by 2018 Pilatus could have supplie a further 120+ and the matter would have been settled. Alas, no point in crying over spilt milk, this GoI/MoD will continue to make inconsistent and counter-intuative moves.

I have no doubt they can do it but the biggest question/issue is WHEN. As I have pointed out, there is a huge outstanding requirement for these aircraft from the IAF (and IN in the future) and they are essential to the IAF boosting its pilot intake. If this plane is only ready 10 years from now it will be a collossal failure, already it should have been far closer to production than it already is. As it stands, it won't be before 2019/20 before this bird is in service in any meaningful number but by 2018 Pilatus could have supplie a further 120+ and the matter would have been settled. Alas, no point in crying over spilt milk, this GoI/MoD will continue to make inconsistent and counter-intuative moves.

You know that's the problem with this particular order.....even 10 years later we'll still need them. A basic trainer is needed at all times.......that's why they should have built this 10 years ago.

You know that's the problem with this particular order.....even 10 years later we'll still need them. A basic trainer is needed at all times.......that's why they should have built this 10 years ago.
It's so true and I don't understand why it took so long for HAL to get off their a$$es to start doing this. When Deepaks were falling out of the sky and killing young pilots and instructors- nothing, but whent the GoI/MoD was forced to go for a fast track option of buying 75 BTTs off the shelf from Pilatus (which were delivered in exceptional time and the company deserves a lot of respect for that) only then did HAL start crying and asking the MoD "why didn't you give us the order?"

HAL have known about this requirement for DECADES but only in 2016 are they conducting a flight trail? This is crminal negligence and yet the MoD is rewarding their bad behaviour with a 120+ unit order based on paper specs and a wooden mock up, seriously- only in India.

The fact is, BTTs will always be required but the IAF's needs of today aren't even being met- let alone those of tomorow.

@Skull and Bones imagine an HTT 40 with unstable config and miniature AESA....that would probably take over the market :lol:. Of course you need lots of power and miniaturizing heavy AESA pretty damn near impossible, but just thinking out loud.:enjoy:

If you think about it from the point of an engineer :D , it is better to install data link than to put in a radar. That will save on both power and weight. But I'm more interested in putting a Optical Pod for anti armor roles and laser designating targets for precision attacks, even for other platforms.

Back
Top Bottom