What's new

PIA plane flies in Indian airspace for almost 10 minutes

villageidiot

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
After failing an attempt to land, the pilot went on a go-round but lost his way due to heavy rain and low altitude

1067775_2212240_boeing-777_updates.jpg

A Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) plane flew in Indian airspace for almost ten minutes after it failed to land at the Lahore Airport owing to heavy rain. The plane traveled 125 kilometres over the Indian Punjab and was in Indian airspace for almost ten minutes before turning back.

The incident took place on May 4, at 8pm, when the PIA flight PK248 returned from Muscat. The pilot attempted to land at the Allama Iqbal International Airport but could not due to the heavy rain. Acting upon the instructions from the air traffic controller, the pilot went on a go-round. However, while coming back, the pilot lost his way due to heavy rain and low altitude.

The aircraft entered the Indian airspace from the Badhana police station in Punjab at 8:11pm, flying at an altitude of 13,500 feet with a speed of 292 km/hr. The plane turned back from Naushehra Pannuan within 40 km, passing through the cities of Taran Sahib and Rasulpur in Indian Punjab.

While flying in Indian airspace, the captain took the plane to a height of 20,000 feet. The plane flew in the Indian airspace for seven minutes and entered Pakistani territory near the village of Jhugian Noor Muhammad in Indian Punjab. The flight again entered the Indian territory, flying over the villages of Kasur in Pakistani Punjab.

Three minutes later, at 8:22pm, the plane re-entered the Pakistani airspace from the village of Lakha Singhwala Hithar in Indian Punjab. The aircraft was at an altitude of 23,000 feet, flying at a speed of 320 km/hr.

After entering Pakistan's airspace, the plane flew to Multan, passing over Hujra Shah Muqeem and Dipalpur. The plane traveled a total of 120 kilometers in the Indian territory for almost ten minutes.

Can PIA finally just upgrade its fleet to integrate enhanced vision systems? Multan has dust storms, Lahore has heavy rain, the north has mountain peaks. A relatively modest price to pay for an upgrade that increases the safety margin considerably.

This could have become a Korean Air 007 type incident.

Last edited:
I’m glad the Indians didn’t shoot it down. Highly incompetent pea brains as our neighbors.

Don't worry, they will spin this as them shooting down 4000 F16s and then make a Bollywood movie about it.

It doesn't mention if the pilot was under instruction by ATC. In case of bad weather the tower will generally vector you to stay in a holding pattern or try a different approach (if too windy etc), if running low on fuel, they'll send you to the nearest airport (even across a border) to land.

Besides, air traffic from Pk overflies India all the time. I remember post that last skirmish both sides had denied the other overflying rights and Indian carriers to the gulf were taking a much longer route. Not sure if that is still in place.

El-Al (Israeli carrier) does not overfly Iran and some other countries, they take a very long route down the red sea and then a left to India. They also always have armed sky marshals aboard after the 426 incident.

@Imran Khan

It doesn't mention if the pilot was under instruction by ATC. In case of bad weather the tower will generally vector you to stay in a holding pattern or try a different approach (if too windy etc), if running low on fuel, they'll send you to the nearest airport (even across a border) to land.

Article says "he lost his way and entered Indian airspace".

Article says "he lost his way and entered Indian airspace".
lol, bc bael gaadi chala ra hai kya kohre me ? :sarcastic:

Visual approach and landing can be tough in low visibility conditions but "lost his way" doesn't make sense. Unless they were instruments out too, in which case they'd declare a bit of an emergency.

Besides, air traffic from Pk overflies India all the time. I remember post that last skirmish both sides had denied the other overflying rights and Indian carriers to the gulf were taking a much longer route. Not sure if that is still in place.

El-Al (Israeli carrier) does not overfly Iran and some other countries, they take a very long route down the red sea and then a left to India. They also always have armed sky marshals aboard after the 426 incident.

@Imran Khan
PIA also has armed sky marshals. Almost every nation does after 9/11.

On every flight ? :o

its damn near impossible to smuggle any sort of weapon in your carry on luggage, much less firearms.
It’s not “smuggle” it’s part of a diplomatic agreement.

Official security forces “don’t smuggle weapons”.

The weapon is handed over to the Marshall at boarding, the weapon and ammo is handed over to local police st airports abroad and collected airside when boarding.

You clearly don’t know how this works but that’s okay.

It’s not “smuggle” it’s part of a diplomatic agreement.

Official security forces “don’t smuggle weapons”.

The weapon is handed over to the Marshall at boarding, the weapon and ammo is handed over to local police st airports abroad and collected airside when boarding.

You clearly don’t know how this works but that’s okay.

of course, how silly of me.. wasn't thinking. :P

still, so most airlines around the world been doing this since 9/11 ?

The whole news report is wrong.
PK248 was from Dammam and no way is a pilot going to lose his way on a freaking 777. Looking at the route, it looks like it was cleared to enter Indian airspace to go around the storm.

Amateur journalism.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_093117_Flightradar24.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_093117_Flightradar24.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 26
Can PIA finally just upgrade its fleet to integrate enhanced vision systems? Multan has dust storms, Lahore has heavy rain, the north has mountain peaks. A relatively modest price to pay for an upgrade that increases the safety margin considerably.

This could have become a Korean Air 007 type incident.

I as a computer scientists did publication on this. If all communications are lost a good camera on belly will find straight path or road with 0 to minimum traffic to do emergency landing. In conclusion I mentioned if some sensors are added it would boost the planes capability to find and land in proper place in case of emergency. I was ms computer sciences student then. With my limited knowledge I did introduce the concept in my institute.

I used hough transformation technique.

Its poor men's journal, 0 references 😥 😭
But not interested in these publications anyway.

Detection of Road for Landing of Aircraft in an Unfamiliar Environment: A Comparative Study

Last edited:
After failing an attempt to land, the pilot went on a go-round but lost his way due to heavy rain and low altitude

1067775_2212240_boeing-777_updates.jpg

A Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) plane flew in Indian airspace for almost ten minutes after it failed to land at the Lahore Airport owing to heavy rain. The plane traveled 125 kilometres over the Indian Punjab and was in Indian airspace for almost ten minutes before turning back.

The incident took place on May 4, at 8pm, when the PIA flight PK248 returned from Muscat. The pilot attempted to land at the Allama Iqbal International Airport but could not due to the heavy rain. Acting upon the instructions from the air traffic controller, the pilot went on a go-round. However, while coming back, the pilot lost his way due to heavy rain and low altitude.

The aircraft entered the Indian airspace from the Badhana police station in Punjab at 8:11pm, flying at an altitude of 13,500 feet with a speed of 292 km/hr. The plane turned back from Naushehra Pannuan within 40 km, passing through the cities of Taran Sahib and Rasulpur in Indian Punjab.

While flying in Indian airspace, the captain took the plane to a height of 20,000 feet. The plane flew in the Indian airspace for seven minutes and entered Pakistani territory near the village of Jhugian Noor Muhammad in Indian Punjab. The flight again entered the Indian territory, flying over the villages of Kasur in Pakistani Punjab.

Three minutes later, at 8:22pm, the plane re-entered the Pakistani airspace from the village of Lakha Singhwala Hithar in Indian Punjab. The aircraft was at an altitude of 23,000 feet, flying at a speed of 320 km/hr.

After entering Pakistan's airspace, the plane flew to Multan, passing over Hujra Shah Muqeem and Dipalpur. The plane traveled a total of 120 kilometers in the Indian territory for almost ten minutes.

Can't Pakistani airliner flyover indian territory just as indian does over pak airspace?

Or is that another failure of pak?

Back
Top Bottom