What's new

Philippines finalises historic peace deal with Muslim rebels

Frank Martin

Reaction score
Country
India
The Philippine government and Muslim rebels have agreed a peace deal for the country's troubled south, President Benigno Aquino announced on Sunday, signalling an end to a 40-year conflict that has killed more than 120,000 people and crippled the region's economy. The long-awaited agreement sets out a roadmap to create a new Bangsamoro autonomous region in Muslim-dominated areas of the south of the mainly Roman Catholic country before the end of Aquino's term in 2016. Bangsamoro refers to Muslim and non-Islamic minority people in the southern Philippines. "This agreement creates a new political entity and it deserves a name that symbolises and honours the struggles of our forebears in Mindanao and celebrates the history and character of that part of our nation. That name will be Bangsamoro," Aquino announced via a live broadcast from the presidential palace. "This framework agreement is about rising above our prejudices. It is about casting aside the distrust and myopia that has the plagued efforts of the past," said Aquino, surrounded by his cabinet ministers. While obstacles still lie ahead, the deal signals a major breakthrough in trust between the government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) separatists, who have long viewed Manila's motives in the talks with suspicion. The deal, reached during talks in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur over the past week, will set up a 15-member Transition Commission, which has until 2015 to draft a law creating the new entity to replace the current autonomous region. The new entity and its jurisdiction will be determined through a plebiscite after the passage of the organic law. The Muslim area will gain more political and economic powers, including imposition of taxes to cut central government subsidies, a bigger share in revenues from natural resources and a more active role in internal security. The deal comes as the Philippines defies its reputation as an economic laggard with strong growth and a resurgence in investor interest. The south's volatile and often violent politics could still hamper the plans. There is a risk that radical Islamic factions could split off from the MILF and continue fighting in a region that has a history of links with al Qaeda militants. Another threat comes from powerful clans who control some areas in the region and may fear a loss of political influence. After four decades of conflict and nearly 15 years of violence-interrupted talks, the MILF leaders are ageing and, analysts say, eager to see some fruit from the years of peace negotiations. The leadership may also be motivated by the prospect of royalties from huge untapped deposits of oil, gas and mineral resources in rebel areas, part of an estimated total of $312 billion in mineral wealth in Mindanao. France's Total has partnered with Malaysia's Mitra Energy Ltd. to explore oil and gas fields in the Sulu Sea off Mindanao.

Philippines finalises historic peace deal with Muslim rebels - Page 1 | Firstpost

Philippines, Muslim rebels reach peace deal

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/07/world/...html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- The Philippines has reached a preliminary agreement with Muslim rebels, the president announced Sunday, marking a major milestone after decades of militant insurgency in the nation's south.
The Moro Islamic Liberation Front has fought for decades for an independent Islamic state in southern Philippines. It has been blamed for rampant attacks in the region.
President Benigno Aquino III described the deal as a "framework agreement" for establishing a new autonomous region to be administered by Muslims in the south.
It comes after negotiations between his government and the rebels in talks mediated by Malaysia.
"This framework agreement paves the way for a final, enduring peace in Mindanao," Aquino said. "It brings all former secessionist groups into the fold; no longer does the Moro Islamic Liberation Front aspire for a separate state."
It also provides a framework on issues such as power structure and revenues in the southern region.
"This means that hands that once held rifles will be put to use tilling land, selling produce, manning work stations and opening doorways of opportunity for other citizens," he said.
The new autonomous region will be named Bangsamoro.
"It deserves a name that symbolizes and honors the struggles of our forebears in Mindanao, and celebrates the history and character of that part of our nation," the president said.
The preliminary deal marks a major milestone after years of negotiations with the Moro group to help end an insurgency that has killed tens of thousands.
The Moro group is estimated to have 12,000 members, but military sources say it may have been splintered when government troops conducted offensives in 2000.

This exercise has been witnessed several times in the past. The Philippines Govt is totally dominated by the Catholic Church who cannot reconcile with Muslim presence in this nation where a Caliphate had existed and which had also suffered terrible atrocities under the Inquisition.

Well if you ask me i like President Erap solution but if its for peace why not support it! but if this groups make trouble its total war but for the time being its support the peace plan. and about the Philippines being controlled by the catholic church that's in the past they have influences but its not as strong unlike the time of my lolo's(grandfathers) and lola's (grandmothers) because of education and information and relations between Muslims and Christians in this country and minorities for that matter hasgotten better no prefect but better than the 1800s and the 1970s so cut it out with the bs of church control over the state speaking of religious control who do you think is in control of Arab states other Islamic states and you talk about tolerance>? i wonder hahaha?

And other thing this is the first time i hear that my country was once a Muslim Caliphate was around?

The Philippines was made out of brangays (city states) and Raja kingdoms and confederations of both barangays and Raja kingdoms Manila is one example and yes sultanates sulu lanao and magindanao are examples but never a caliphate?

This peace deal might incite a Christian rebellion...I'm against to this peace deal of our gov't with these bandits. I don't think they are REAL Muslim rebels. They don't represent the Muslim and Lumads. The MILF engages in terroristic and criminal activities. I think Pnoy made a grave error. Our Philippine gov't should have just used Erap's solution in dealing with these thugs.

10 thousand strong guerilla army? Thats huge for a country like philipine! Peace is the only way i guess. congratz!

Congrad Philipines for settle internal issue, now it time to focus on and bigger issue.

Back
Top Bottom