Peshawari chappal adds colours to Eid celebrations

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

dsc08378_1.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Trend of wearing traditional footwear of Pashtoon called as Peshawari chappal is gaining popularity for celebrating joyful occasions like Eid and outlets of this product have ran into roaring business, these days.

Unique designs, durability and famousness is the hallmark of the Peshawari chappal which inherited years old history and has made deep inroads into cultures of all strata of society to collaborate special occasions like parties, Eid and wedding ceremonies with it.

"We are besieged with orders for Peshawari chappal which is no longer confined to any specific culture or age group, it is for all now and loved by all to give more colour to festivity of Eid, currently we cannot accept more orders due to shortage of time, power load shedding and above all fasting," Akthar Munir, a shoemaker observed while haggling with his scores of clients where Peshawari chappal was selling like a hot cake.

He said since Peshawari chappal gives both a traditional look on shalwar qameez and a trendy appearance when worn with jeans, this product is also used by iconic personalities like Imran Khan, thus trend to wear this Pashtoon traditional footwear on such prominent occasion gets boosted.

He was of the view it has indeed become a souvenir for the all citizens and now it is dispatched abroad to their loved ones as a gift for happy occasion like Eid as it could also be worn with jeans which has gained east-cum-west feature as well.

“Last Sunday I visited Charsada to buy chappal for my relatives and friends who are living in UK, they have especially asked for sending Peshawari chappal for this Eid as this traditional Pashtoon footwear is worn by mostly Pakistani community on such occasion," Kashif Riaz remarked.

Peshawari chappal is also designed for girls in different colours like yellow, black, green, white, plain black with print or plain red with print. These have been embellished with brooches and stones and are giving a different look and individual style.

"Captain’s chappal, associated with Imran Khan, is handmade genuine leather soft and light weight footwear, it is high in demand as politicians and rich people order for this Peshawari footwear," said Gul Zaman, another shoemaker.

He said his chappal, is rather costly than the rest of the shoes like ranging from Rs 5,000 to 10,000 while other shoes could easily be afforded by common man as one pair of shoes cost was around Rs 700.
Kaptaan Chappal

IMG_2359_1_1_large.jpg

913-E.jpg

Man58.jpg

peshawari_chappal_pakistan_chappal7-900x900.jpg

images

images

56446c7d9fda1-Brown-Leather-Handcrafted-Peshawari-Chappal-c.jpg

dsc08378_1.jpg

ISLAMABAD: Trend of wearing traditional footwear of Pashtoon called as Peshawari chappal is gaining popularity for celebrating joyful occasions like Eid and outlets of this product have ran into roaring business, these days.

Unique designs, durability and famousness is the hallmark of the Peshawari chappal which inherited years old history and has made deep inroads into cultures of all strata of society to collaborate special occasions like parties, Eid and wedding ceremonies with it.

"We are besieged with orders for Peshawari chappal which is no longer confined to any specific culture or age group, it is for all now and loved by all to give more colour to festivity of Eid, currently we cannot accept more orders due to shortage of time, power load shedding and above all fasting," Akthar Munir, a shoemaker observed while haggling with his scores of clients where Peshawari chappal was selling like a hot cake.

He said since Peshawari chappal gives both a traditional look on shalwar qameez and a trendy appearance when worn with jeans, this product is also used by iconic personalities like Imran Khan, thus trend to wear this Pashtoon traditional footwear on such prominent occasion gets boosted.

He was of the view it has indeed become a souvenir for the all citizens and now it is dispatched abroad to their loved ones as a gift for happy occasion like Eid as it could also be worn with jeans which has gained east-cum-west feature as well.

“Last Sunday I visited Charsada to buy chappal for my relatives and friends who are living in UK, they have especially asked for sending Peshawari chappal for this Eid as this traditional Pashtoon footwear is worn by mostly Pakistani community on such occasion," Kashif Riaz remarked.

Peshawari chappal is also designed for girls in different colours like yellow, black, green, white, plain black with print or plain red with print. These have been embellished with brooches and stones and are giving a different look and individual style.

"Captain’s chappal, associated with Imran Khan, is handmade genuine leather soft and light weight footwear, it is high in demand as politicians and rich people order for this Peshawari footwear," said Gul Zaman, another shoemaker.

He said his chappal, is rather costly than the rest of the shoes like ranging from Rs 5,000 to 10,000 while other shoes could easily be afforded by common man as one pair of shoes cost was around Rs 700.
Kaptaan Chappal

IMG_2359_1_1_large.jpg

913-E.jpg

Man58.jpg

peshawari_chappal_pakistan_chappal7-900x900.jpg

56446c7d9fda1-Brown-Leather-Handcrafted-Peshawari-Chappal-c.jpg

I bought two from Junaid Jamshed along with two Shalwar Kameez for this Eid by the way can any one tell that Kaptaan Peshawari Chappal are available in Lahore or not I mean these
kaptaan_chappal_original_buy_online_in_pakistan_men_s_all_world_odeal_pk_home_delivery_sale_wholesale_khan_shab.jpg

@Zibago

Last edited:
Keeping the tradition of Peshawari chappal alive

59443da631bdf.jpg

A cobbler gives final touches to Peshawari chappal at his workplace.

PESHAWAR: Although most people are unable to buy traditional Peshawari and Charsadda Chappal owing to its high price yet still it has not lost market due to its popularity, traditional touch and durability.

People began thronging Chappal maker stores at Namakmandi Chowk, Jahangir Pura Bazaar and other outlets in the city to buy variety of Peshawari Chappal for Eidul Fitr.

Nooruddin Chacha, a Chappal maker at Namakmandi Chowk, said that he had not increased price of famous Kaptaan Chappal, a pair of which was available for Rs10,000 and well off people including parliamentarians and government officials had placed orders three months ago.

A pair of famous Kaptaan Chappal being sold at Rs10,000

He said that he had already shipped pairs of Kaptaan Chappal to UK, the US, Canada and Gulf States.

“I have received an invitation from Italy earlier this month for participating in an exhibition where I would set up a stall for displaying my popular Kaptaan Chappal. I expect my stall would attract attention of the participants,” he said.

Mahtab Khan, a senior Chappal maker at Jahangir Pura Bazaar, told this scribe that popularity of Peshawari Chappal was still intact but common people couldn’t afford to buy it as its price increased every year.

He said that a pair of Peshawari Chappal was available for Rs800 to 1,000 last year but that year witnessed that a pair could be available for Rs1,200 to 2,500.

Raza Ali, a university graduate, said that young people mostly preferred new stylish, cheap footwear and easy walkers instead of traditional Chappal.

He said that not many designs and varieties were available in Peshawari Chappal.

“Young people want to buy every item matching to their dress. Most young people are not fascinated by traditional things. They need a fresh and modern commodity, which could make them look unique or at least different from others,” said Mr Ali.

Abdur Rahim, another young buyer, said that market was flooded with different kinds of shoes, slippers, boots and sandals but traditional Chappal was still admired by those, who could afford its price.

“I bought two pairs one each for myself and my cousin. Peshawari Chappal is our cultural identity. We need to safeguard the art of making Peshawari Chappal and also store keepers should bring down its price to make it affordable for common users,” said Mr Rahim.

Chappal maker Rokhan Gul while explaining the difference between Peshawari and Charsadda Chappal said that the former was round and the latter was open in its shape. He said that earlier only black colour Chappal was popular but now-a-days various colours and sizes were available in the market.

“People in villages and towns like traditional Chappal but young people in city cherish modern footwear because of new styles and fashion,” he added.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom