What's new

Pervez hoodbhoy interview moroo podcast

Is there a culture in the forces that lead's to this issue or our own culture in the whole country or a mix of both?

Or maybe it's the time's or the atmosphere

This is the same period or a year or two after

Ayub Khan pretty much said racist things about every ethnicity in Pak except probably his own, like old school, wild type a racist crap you'd hear in 50s US (not taking away from the fact that he was an able leader)

My family, who have served and continue to serve since partition, said it was the atmosphere and feeling of superiority. One relative pointed to the below quote from Ayub Khan's book to show the mindset of the "elites" in West Pakistan, not the general population.

3 (a) The people of Pakistan consist of a variety of races each with its own historical background and culture. East Bengalis, who constitute the bulk of the population, probably belong to the very original Indian races. It would be no exaggeration to say that up to the creation of Pakistan, they had not known any real freedom or sovereignty. They have been in turn ruled either by the caste Hindus, Moghuls, Pathans, or the British. In addition, they have been and still are under considerable Hindu cultural and linguistic influence. As such they have all the inhibitions of downtrodden races and have not yet found it possible to adjust psychologically to the requirements of the new-born freedom. Their popular complexes, exclusiveness, suspicion and a sort of defensive aggressiveness probably emerge from this historical background. Prudence, therefore, demands that these factors should be recognized and catered for and they be helped so as to feel equal partners and prove an asset. That can be done only if they are given a considerable measure of partnership,

Page 193 of 263
Microsoft Word - Cover.docx (sanipanhwar.com)

What I find comical about Ayub Khan and others is how he says they have not known "any real freedom or sovereignty" had he an ounce of the brain functioning correctly just 23 years back, you were a colony with no absolute freedom or sovereignty either. Worse yet, he was serving the sovereign crown under the British Indian flag, a sad case of white sir leaving and brown sir taking its place. He was the true definition of a house negro of South Asia.

Overall, he wasn't an able leader or administrator, he first brought the religious card to use against Fatima Jinnah, and we've seen the treatment that was meted out to the nation's mother. He was a failure like all those after him. But that is a whole different discussion.

Last edited:
They did not accept Pakistan due to its identity but because of mistreatment. It's on record and historically documented by Pak Army officers of the abuses the higher ranks dished out on Bangeli-origin officers under them. I believe it was @Big Tank who once shared with me a link to the pages of a book written by officers stationed in present-day Bangladesh who wrote down things that were said, to the point telling junior officers he would sleep with their wives, to breed taller and fairer skin men.

When you have situations like this, who would want to stay as part of the family?

The other issue is political; Bhutto lost and was wrecked in the elections, but that soor ki aulad ai Gandi nasal ka bacha refused to step down and uttered the famous lines "we here, and they there, whoever goes there I will break there legs," and my that friend sealed the fate.

Pakistanis tend to be their own worst enemy; we do not need outside interference to destroy us. We are capable of doing it on our own.

Have been reading books about it since always. The major causes were:

1: East Pak was in horrible state. When Major Saliq got posted there, his wife hired 4 maids which he objected due to finances. To his surprise, his wife told him to relax by revealing that we could hire 4 on the price of 1 in West Pak. Not only that, they had a massive rush of women willing to work for them outside their house once they came to know that a *west Pakistani* got posted.

2: Bangalis were treated like third class citizens. Racism from the side of West Pakistani officers wasn't rare. While there were good officers as well.

3: Bangalis used to be taken off from the trains in case a West Pakistani officer's guest needed some place, as documented in the books.

4: Bangalis had their own identity and language. I never see it as an objectionable demand. They wanted their language and culture recognized.

Finally, I used to believe in the far right propaganda that we were kinda angles there, who did nothing wrong. But we did everything wrong. There's no doubt that Mukti Bahini caused massive atrocities but when there's civil war, you have all kind of stuff going on.

Back
Top Bottom