What's new

Partitioning India over lunch

Newsflash: Right or wrong, it HAPPENED. Get over it, and that goes for both sides.

Now can we please move along?

Very true. Owen Bennet Jones and other historians have mentioned the same. Most importantly, the handover of the districts of Gurdaspur and Ferozepur, in violation of the rules of partition, were to ostensibly give India a means of physical access to Kashmir, without which the Maharajah's accession to India would have been much harder, if not impossible.

The only redeeming part of this was the condition of plebiscite in case of a disputed accession, but that has been ridden rough shod over in the quest for territorial expansionism.

This brings up another interesting issue. Quite often we hear the refrain of '25 percent Hindus before partition reduced to one percent'. This claim is repeated ad nauseum without referencing the impact of the massive migration of millions of Hindus and Sikhs out of Pakistan and the millions of Muslims out of India into Pakistan.

The census of 1951 puts Pakistan's population at about 33 million, obviously it was smaller in 1947, but when you look at the change in population through migration - 14 million in and out - thats almost fifty percent!

This does not even take into account whether the 20 percent figure was for West Pakistan alone or West and East Pakistan, and that makes a difference since East Pakistan had a larger number of Hindus than the West.

The point here is that there is way too much figure fudging with these numbers for the purposes of demonizing Pakistan. This and the numbers of atrocities that occurred in Bangladesh, and it is a deliberate smear campaign to dehumanize Pakistan in India and spread hatred.

for bolded part> if that's true then both Brits and Nehru must have reached a secret agreement.

Nehru must have offered something so valuable that Brits decided to favor India.

Brits in my opinion wanted a powerful nation which can maintain peace in south Asia.

they chose India cause they believed without India's dominance in south Asia things may happen which may hurt their interests.

Jinah did a BS by insisting on Partition.Together India and Pak would have been not only a strong nation military but in Asia ours would have been a no.1 economy of which even china would have been jealous of.Together with a population of 1.2 billion and a distinctive reach to ASEAN and central Asia ours would have been a peaceful and a natural superpower with no terrorists.But jinnah did what is abhorrent and nehru just agreed to it becoz he wanted power as quickly as he would have.It is something that has made us fight with each other and destroy our economy which China is very happy to see that it has no formidable enemy in Asia.How much i want to go back in time and kill Jinah the day he was born so that a unified India pak become a realty and even U.S. would bow to us instead of using us.

I am so glad we had the Partition! I sincerely believe most of my fellow Pakistanis 'DO NOT' want to be a 'Associated with' India or Indians!

Indians should wake up from 'La La Land & smell the Coffee (or in this case TEA) (So to speak)!

The above mentioned quote does not sound interesting, at all, to any Pakistani!

Indians need to understand one thing that us Pakistanis don't want to have any association with them! Simple!!!

Lastly, even if we were together we would be fighting like hell! It's better like this!

parititon is the best thing that happened to the hindus of india.Previously they were fighing each other like crazy over silly issues,now after all this,they seemed to have woken up and live as one entity.

parititon is the best thing that happened to the hindus of india.Previously they were fighing each other like crazy over silly issues,now after all this,they seemed to have woken up and live as one entity.

Mr .Subramnian you are 100% correct . THANKS .

yeah,seriously.I mean if we had remained united,we wud have a civil war,a bloody one at that and the worst thing being u ll have a lot of stupid pacifists who ll extend the war with their stupid ideas.

ap bhi khush hum bhi khush to masla kya hai ? lolz we are so happy that at least we have a country and you guys are happy that you have india .

hum toh khush hain janaab,bas hamare punjabiyon khush nahin hain.Unka Doaba mila aur app log punjab mein rehte ho.Baaki logon ko koi tension nahin hain.

yeah,seriously.I mean if we had remained united,we wud have a civil war,a bloody one at that and the worst thing being u ll have a lot of stupid pacifists who ll extend the war with their stupid ideas.

See i might get peanalised for this comment actually pakistan was created because muslim elite did not wanted that their jageers to be given to poor as congress wanted(Labour & Land Reforms) to do in independent india . Had there been no partition most (80%) hindus would be living like what these feudals are doing to poor(Haaree & Kammee) in present day pakistan .Kindly no hard feelings towards pakistan&pakistanies as a whole kindly forgive if you think otherwise .thanks .

See i might get peanalised for this comment actually pakistan was created because muslim elite did not wanted that their jageers to be given to poor as congress wanted(Labour & Land Reforms) to do in independent india . Had there been no partition most (80%) hindus would be living like what these feudals are doing to poor(Haaree & Kammee) in present day pakistan .Kindly no hard feelings towards pakistan&pakistanies as a whole kindly forgive if you think otherwise .thanks .

Thats one problem but if there was no partition,we would be like srilanka,there ll be armed rebellion and crazy fighting.Hindus and Muslims would be totally polarized and be at each other's throats.

It is actually the other way around..Gandhi and Nehru are known as a British creation as they both played into the colonial policy of sidelining Muslims as second class citizens.

Was Gandhi a British Creation? | Indian Realist

i dont understand your conclusion from the article.Basically when the british started the civil service and western education for indians,the hindu upper class happily dived in and participated.The muslims elite also did but not so openly and only after syed ahmed khan,until this date muslims of india even in south india dont embrace modern education so openly.

Muslims being backward,u come to south india Muslims were the earliest to get educated along with hindu upper castes and british controlled south india completely.

Back
Top Bottom