What's new

Pakistan's Private Defence Industry

Quwa

Research Partner
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan's private defence industry is still small, but I think the construction of 2 private shipyards in Southern Pakistan could mark a milestone. To me it appears that the PN will partially rely on the private defence industry to produce naval ships...not sure if they are combatants, but it is possible.

If indeed the Gwadar and Port Qasim shipyards do receive contracts from PN to produce hulls of modern corvettes, frigates and submarines - then couldn't this give the rise of more private companies? For instance a Pakistani FFG project...4 ships were awarded to Gwadar...and the overall value of the 4 FFG is about $1.2bn USD. Now Gwadar received the hulls...what about the development and production of radars, sensors, weapon-systems or even propulsion? Granted that even the state-owned industries cannot produce those systems alone, but wouldn't large contracts given to 1 private entity incite others to take up the remaining contracts?

Hence...could the Gwadar and Port Qasim yards give birth to private Pakistani ventures in fairly sophisticated areas...such as radars, sensors and weapon-systems? Is there a chance of a large Pakistani corporation rising and pushing for license production of foreign propulsion technology, etc?

Mark.
The idea is good and it is certainly a positive step. Regarding the avionics it is a distinct possibility, as air weapons complex has gone ahead and established a facility of this nature. Who knows with a little bit of help from our friends, we might just do it. However, propulsion system may be a problem. I dont think we have the metallurgy skills yet to achieve that. I think we are still a decade away from any meaningful progress in this field. The other point is whether it is economically feasible. I am afraid I do not know the answer to that. If it is not, then we may yet continue to assemble the propulsion unit with help from whoever we have a contract with.
Regards
Araz

Such things are primarily hampered by finance. My suggestion would be to invest minimally -- employing the more affordable technocrats, and going for the simpler and smaller projects. instead of tenders i'd recommend prototypes. not only do i think it can be done -- i think anyone having as less as a crore can do it.

Back
Top Bottom