What's new

Pakistan's mango exhibition in Tehran from June 7

ameer219

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan's mango exhibition in Tehran from June 7

RECORDER REPORT

ISLAMABAD (June 06 2010): The Pakistan Horticulture Development and Export Company (PHDEC), a subsidiary of Commerce Ministry, is starting Pakistani mangoes exhibition in Tehran on June 7, 2010. Bashir Hussain, Chief Executive Officer of the Company, told Business Recorder that Iran is one of the emerging markets for Pakistani fruits, especially mangoes, which is the main reason to exhibit mangoes.

The mango exhibition will be attended by officials of Pakistan Embassy in Tehran, besides Iranian officials and general public. Pakistan has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Iran with regard to mango exports.

Bashir said that mangoes exported to Iran have to be hot-water-treated at 450C for 75 minutes, and the processing facilities are to be approved by Iran's Plant Protection Organisation (PPO). Durrani Associates, Karachi, has set up state-of-the-art hot water treatment facility, already approved by Iranian Plant Protection Organisation, as also by China and Jordan.

A four -member delegation, led by Muhammad Iqbal, COO of PHDEC, left for Tehran on Saturday. Babar Khan Durrani, Director, will represent Durrani Associates. The delegation, in addition to mango promotion, will meet relevant government officials and traders to further promote business.

PHDEC has designed a comprehensive mango promotion plan for the current season which has been much appreciated and supported by Commerce Minister Amin Fahim. According to Bashir, the longest of this festival will be in the United Kingdom, where PHDEC, along with growers and horticulture exporters, will hold a 14-day festival in collaboration with a big retail store, providing opportunity to the visitors not only to see Pakistan's leading Sindhri and Chaunsa varieties on display, but also to treat their taste buds with these fruits during the tasting sessions.

These festivals are part of the efforts and action plan to meet the target of exporting 150,000 tons of mangoes this year. The UK festival is likely to start early in June. "Visitors to this mango festival would be served with mango milkshake and mango 'Lassi', a very popular drink among Asians as well as other communities living in the United Kingdom to familiarise them with the Pakistani varieties."

Copyright Business Recorder, 2010
Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]:bounce::bounce:

Hell yeah, that's what i'm talkin' about!

mangoes_from_pakistan.jpg

Living in Canada I don't get the opportunity to taste mangoes from Pakistan anymore. All I can get are the ones shipped from there but they are not as good as the ones from the street vendors on the streets of Karachi.
I miss those days.

thtz good. i lub mangoz. sindhdi aam gud 4 milkshk, chonsa very sweet, anwr rathor chosny k ly.

A couple of friends brought over the tasteless Mexican mangoes but I refused to eat for I do not want to ruin the image of the king of fruits in my mind.

I am yet to taste a good fruit outside South Asia. All fruits are crappy here, thanks to GM and the need for the-bigger-the-better. Import and smuggling of vegetables from China is ruining our vegetables back home. The kind of crappy vegetables that our brought into the market are no match for desi vegetables.

The finest mangoes are now in Desi bazaars , Mangoes with kachi lassi and after noon nap :lazy:

DO YOU SHIP TO THE UNITED STATES?

OH GOD PLEASE.

Just fly to Toronto and enjoy the bounty !

Refer to the the thread:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/economy-development/62086-pakistani-mango-enters-us.html

Americans flock to Toronto to buy coveted Pakistani mango - thestar.com

Americans flock to Toronto to buy coveted Pakistani mango
Published On Wed Jul 28 2010
Noor Javed Staff Reporter

It was an impulsive act of love, almost bordering on obsession, which led Waseem Haider to do the unthinkable: smuggle a harmless, yet forbidden, substance across the U.S.-Canada border.

The goods – two cases of sweet and juicy Pakistani mangoes of the chaunsa variety – didn’t get very far.

Haider hid the tropical fruit, banned in the United States due to restrictions on agricultural imports, in his luggage in the trunk of his car. He knew it was a risky move, but one he was willing to take, so his family in Virginia would also have a chance to taste the coveted fruit.

But when he reached the border, the aromatic delicacy was sniffed out, confiscated and thrown out.

“I got busted,” said Haider, a federal government worker. “They didn’t even tell me they took them away. I only realized when I went back to the car.”

“It was really quite upsetting and my family was really sad.”

It is difficult for some to understand the obsession that drives those in mad pursuit of the Pakistani mango. Two popular varieties, chaunsa and anwar ratol, are often described by mango connoisseurs as a sweeter version of its popular Indian cousin alphonso, commonly available in the U.S. But for those who have an acquired taste for the former, the difference between Pakistani mangoes and those from India and Mexico is like “apples and oranges.”

“You can’t even compare the taste. If you really have a knack for mangoes, you won’t like anything but Pakistani mangoes,” said Haider, who made the 12-hour drive last weekend from Virginia to Toronto, his third trip this summer, just to eat the seasonal delicacy. After his past failed smuggling attempts, he brought his family along this time for a weekend binge.

The U.S. has banned Pakistani mangoes for decades because the fruit doesn’t meet United States Department of Agriculture requirements for pest management at the orchard and postharvest level. So, like Haider, a number of mango-crazed Americans, mostly of Pakistani descent, make the trek to Toronto where Pakistani mangoes are found in abundance in ethnic groceries from the beginning of May until mid-August.

It’s a national obsession that the American government has also gotten a whiff of. In a move toward sweetening diplomatic relations between the two countries, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently offered Pakistan help with exporting mangoes to the U.S., part of a $21-million program to boost the country’s agriculture industry.

During a visit to Islamabad last week, Clinton enthusiastically endorsed the mango – considered to be the country’s national fruit – and said Americans could get a taste of the Pakistani mango as early as this winter when the first trial shipments are planned.

Shahzad Shahid, who runs a home delivery mango company through buymangoes.ca in the GTA has been profiting from the U.S. ban on mangoes for the past four years. Many of his clients are Americans desperate to get their hands on mangoes from the homeland. So incessant were their demands that a few years back he too tried to smuggle a few crates across the border.

“I was getting a lot of response from U.S., so I tried to take some boxes over. But I got caught, so I never tried again,” said Shahid, who gets a shipment of 600 to 700 crates of mangoes every Tuesday directly from Pakistan. He charges $11 for half a dozen and sells out in two days.

Since he can’t get the mangoes to them, his American clients preorder the crates and drive north to eat the coveted fruit a few times a season. “Two weeks ago I got a call from a guy in Chicago who was coming to Ottawa and wanted me to send four boxes through a courier service so he could have them when he arrived. We somehow got them there by road instead. I don’t think they would have been in good state if they went by mail.”

This isn’t the first time mangoes have influenced politics on the subcontinent. Three years ago, the Bush administration bolstered relations with India when it opened up the U.S. market to Indian mangoes – just days before the two countries finalized a civilian nuclear agreement.

Within the region, the two nuclear-armed rivals, India and Pakistan, have also used mangoes to soften tensions in the past, although they still argue over whose mangoes are better. Former Pakistani President Zia ul-Haq is believed to have started the tradition when he swapped mangoes with Prime Minister Indira Gandhi in the ’80s. And in an ironic twist, conspiracy theorists say it was a crate of mangoes sprayed with a poisonous gas placed in Zia’s plane before takeoff that led to the crash that killed the military general in 1988.

Haider says news of the thaw in mango diplomacy and the arrival of the first shipment will be closely monitored by thousands of Pakistanis in the states.

In the meantime, he might make another trip to Toronto just before the season ends to satisfy his craving – despite questions from co-workers and friends who still don’t quite get it.

“My friends always say to me, ‘what’s wrong with you man, it’s just a fruit.’ I tell them it’s not just a fruit, it’s the mango.”

DO YOU SHIP TO THE UNITED STATES?

OH GOD PLEASE.

US has approved Pakistani Mangoes and we are ready to ship. However, the wait is on USDA/customs to execute landing/import paperwork. US requires Pakistani Mangoes to be treated in a specific way to kill any/all pesticides. The treatment is a bit expensive but it must be completed for US export. Mango treatment within Pakistan for the US is another item that is taking its time!

If all gets done, we should see Pakistani Mangoes in the US next year.

Regards,
Honey Mangoes

As per PHDEB - Pakistan Horticulture Development & Export Company
Pakistan Mango Export Programme 2010 for USA

Pursuant to agreement in principle allowing Pakistan mango access to USA market, a delegation from Pakistan visited the USA from 8-18 May, 2010 on the invitation from Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). The tour was facilitated by the Foreign Agriculture Service of APHIS in Pakistan through the Ministry of Food and Agriculture, Government of Pakistan. During the visit to USA the delegation held discussions with the counterparts USDA experts on the organizational structure of APHIS and its regulatory process, US irradiation treatment programme and studied the irradiation pre- clearance programme. Comprehensive presentations were also made by the Pakistani delegates on the role and functions of DPP, Pakistan Horticulture Development and Export Company and the status of M/s PARAS Foods (Pvt.) Ltd as an approved facility for irradiation of mangoes in Pakistan. The Pakistani side had already provided list of mutually agreed Pest Risk Analysis to the USDA as a step towards allowing market access for Pakistani mangoes to US.

The delegation was given a comprehensive briefing through presentations by the APHIS side on Agriculture Quarantine Inspection, Plant Protection & Pest Identification by the Customs & Border Protection at the Port of Chicago. This was followed by a visit to the USDA approved fruit irradiation facility at Sioux City IOWA (M/s SADEX Corporation). However, the process of certification, re-certification and audit of irradiation facility will require some time.

To process export of mango to USA during this season, there were two viable options available. These included (i) the establishment of pre-clearance programme from National Plant Protection Organization /MINFA along with an Operational Work Plan for commodities shipped through pre-clearance to meet APHIS Phytosanitary entry requirements and (ii) consignments may be treated in US for mitigation of mango pest risks pending approval of pre-clearance programme. The latter appeared to be quicker. The mango shipment will be irradiated at IOWA irradiation facility in USA. It was also agreed in principle that initially mango producers certified under Global Gap with experience of produce export markets may be considered under this programme.

The Pakistan Horticulture Development and Export Company would act as cooperator in both cases. Such a measure would open the gates for marketing of Pakistani mangoes in US market this season. It will also help the economic masters to carryout economic analysis and feasibility study to assess the potential and scope to market mangoes from Pakistan to US. The mangoes treated at the US plant (only for this season) will also give a feel of the market response to Pakistani mangoes which will further help to plan out a sustainable and viable mango export strategy.

In the wrap up meeting, both the sides expressed their desire to enhance collaboration between APHIS/USDA and NPPO/NAPHIS, MINFA in exchange of information and technical expertise aimed to exploit the opportunities and possibilities, through creation of an enabling environment and expressed their satisfaction with progress made under the Framework Equivalency Work Plan (FEWP) signed between the two countries. The FEWP was also renewed by both the sides during the visit. The co-operation between the two countries reflects the level of confidence building with exists between the US and Pakistan and is a symbol of friendship between the peoples of both the countries.

It is now hoped that the comment period expires in Mid August in USA and the Pakistani side shall gear up for 1st trial shipment in Late August 2010.

Updates

The APHIS, USDA has published the notification to allow Pakistani mangoes into their Federal Register. If no negative comments appeared from any US Agency or Private Sector, the comment period will expire on 16 August and USDA will officially notify to allow import of mangoes from Pakistan.

A test consignment will be undertaken from Government to Government, of course in association with commercial operators under the “Domestic Irradiation programme for the year 2010” which means that Pakistani mango trial consignment of 1300 Kg will be shipped to USA and it will be irradiated in their Irradiation facility at IOWA.

The Pakistani NPPO i.e., DPP, is in process to notify the orchards which will be used for export of mangoes to USA.

The NPPO is registering the Pack house of the exporter for quality and food safety standards compliance

The mango consignment will follow SOP’s for handling, packing and export which have been mutually developed and conveyed to APHIS, USDA by NPPO

The PARAS Food as Irradiation facility will be approved by APHIS Inspector next year which will allow export of mangoes from Pakistan under the supervision of APHIS Inspectors from the mango season 2011.

The Pakistani side is now preparing for test consignment to USA during last week of August. Possible route will be: Orchard (Lodhran)--PARAS Foods Irradiation Facility Lahore--Lahore Airport--Chicago Airport--Irradiation Facility Iowa USA--Pakistan Mission in USA.

The Embassy of Pakistan Washington will be consignee.

May be not in terms of export value, but in mouth they do..Mexcian mangoos are tasteless.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom