What's new

Pakistan's Growing Human Capital

^^ My intention was not to ridicule. I was just telling him it is better if he concentrates his efforts in improvement of Pakistan instead of feel good articles with statistical jugglery and dishonest misrepresentation of facts. I know we are only marginally better when it comes to educating the poor and need to do a lot but at the same time total misrepresentation of facts need to be countered.

^^ My intention was not to ridicule. I was just telling him it is better if he concentrates his efforts in improvement of Pakistan instead of feel good articles with statistical jugglery and dishonest misrepresentation of facts. I know we are only marginally better when it comes to educating the poor and need to do a lot but at the same time total misrepresentation of facts need to be countered.

That will mean undoing what comes naturally as a Pavlovian response for the last 7-8 decades (and I hope I didn't underestimate the period) and moving on to do something positive.

I am not hopeful. He has been conditioned to post one negative post about India after one post about Pakistan (typically the same half cooked, too clever by half scavenged stuff) that he can repeat while ******.

Here are a few excerpts of a recent NY Times Op Ed on sad state of education in India:

It is now almost four years since I first walked through a series of winding by-lanes in a Mumbai slum toward my new job as a teacher at a low-income school. I was forced to confront India’s educational inequities squarely in the eye. Students filed into a dilapidated old school building, and my own musty classroom, crammed with cupboards, barely left any room to move.

What was more jarring than my physical surroundings, however, was the magnitude of my students’ achievement gap. Only a handful of my third-grade students could read first-grade books, and almost all struggled with elementary arithmetic. Despite this being an English-language school, few teachers – and fewer students – could speak the language at all. Indeed, most of my students were unable to recognize basic alphabets or perform simple addition.

This was compounded by the sobering fact that families in my slum scrounged to send their kids – boys and girls – to the very best schools they could afford. Why? Because they recognized that education was their only weapon against penury and struggle. They dreamed of their children going on to build livelihoods in a burgeoning economy and pulling them out of the slums.
Rubina, a fourth grade student at the Umedbhai Patel School in Mumbai, Maharashtra, in this Aug., 2010 photo.Courtesy of Rakesh Mani Rubina, a fourth grade student at the Umedbhai Patel School in Mumbai, Maharashtra, in this Aug., 2010 photo.

Unfortunately, the poor quality of instruction (and high levels of teacher absenteeism) across the proliferation of shoddy schools ensures that they will hardly be able to compete – whether for university admissions or for jobs – with students who can afford expensive, high-quality schooling. Moreover, according to the National Family Health Survey, India now has the highest rate of child malnourishment on the planet – almost twice that of sub-Saharan Africa.
------------
The situation across the rest of the country is not much different – according to recent figures, 4 percent of Indian children never start school, 57 percent don’t complete primary school and almost 90 percent — around 172 million — will not complete secondary school. These numbers should deeply anger Indians and force them to question society’s priorities and values.
---------
In just a few more decades, the implications of India’s apathy will have profound implications – not just within the country, but around the world as well.

What Are You Doing to Fix India's Broken Education System? - NYTimes.com

Now the facts:

Literacy rates:

India: 74.04%

Pakistan: 54.9%

In higher education, as per the great enlightened moderate (or moderately enlightened depending on how you look at it ;) ).

The socio economic condition of the Muslim world, I think we are may be the worst in the world all social indicators are the worst in the world, we are the poorest out of 36 poorest countries of the world I think 22 happened to be from Muslims. We are the most illiterate uneducated. If you see the health side we are the worst of so from all points of view all the social indicators are the worst in the world. In this economic factor, a well known guide to gage our standard is our GDP. The collective GDP of Muslim Ummah is roughly 1,500-1,600 billion dollars and only single country GDP of Germany is 2500 or more, Japan is nearing 5000, 57 countries of Muslim Ummah are not even equal to one country. If you take the highest GDP in the Muslim Ummah I think it is of Turkey but if you take little countries of Europe who have no natural resources, no mineral resources and no energy resources even they have 300, 350 billion dollars. If we further analyze why is this state? When we hold the 70 per cent of world energy resources, 40 per cent of world natural resources and the raw material resources then why is this the state I think we have been left behind, technologically.

I know that the whole Muslim Ummah has about 600 universities while individual Japan has over 1000. in know that collective PhDs that the Muslim world produces in science subjects is not even 500 while single European country produce about 1000 to 2000 PhDs so we are totally left behind in technology, in the field of education specially science and technology.

Total number of PhDs produced by all the Muslim countries combined is less than what India alone is producing.

Of course, we need to aim much higher than we are. We have to get back to being the Jagat Guru we were and will be again.

Now the perverted sick mind bigot keeps on repeating like a parrot about malnutrition.

Again without knowing the basic facts. And lacking the capability to interpret basic data.

The problem is likely to be less severe than UN statistics indicate, given faulty yardsticks

If asked to name the state with the lowest incidence of child malnutrition in India, readers will overwhelmingly pick one of Kerala, Goa, Himachal Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Punjab or West Bengal. But they will all be wrong by a wide margin: none of these states appears among even the top five performers.

According to the recent report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, Arunachal Pradesh walks away with the top prize. Based on 2010-11 data, Nagaland, Sikkim, Manipur and Mizoram, in that order, follow on the top five list. Maharashtra ranks a close sixth but the next four slots again go to northern and northeastern states — Uttarakhand, Meghalaya, Jammu & Kashmir and Assam. Only then do Goa, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab find a place on the list (caveat: I exclude Madhya Pradesh due to possible data inconstancies).

Nine out of the top ten states are from the northeast or north. Even Tripura, the only remaining northeastern state, scores a tie with Kerala. The rankings are also wildly out of line with the only other vital health statistic for children that I am able to access for all Indian states: infant mortality rates (IMR) per thousand live births.

Arunachal Pradesh, the star performer in child nutrition, had IMR of 32 in 2011 compared with 11 in Goa and 12 in Kerala. But the CAG report places 34% children in Goa, 37% in Kerala and just two percent in Arunachal Pradesh in the underweight category. Assam does worse than even the Indian average in life expectancy and IMR but beats Goa and Kerala in child nutrition.

These puzzling inter-state rankings mirror some international rankings. In 2009, 33 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) had lower per-capita incomes than India. The same year, India ranked ahead of the vast majority of these countries in life expectancy, IMR, child mortality and maternal mortality. Yet, India had proportionately more underweight children than every one of these 33 countries.

These paradoxical inter-state and India-SSA comparisons are rooted in the flawed measurement methodology that the World Health Organization (WHO) has aggressively pushed to give substance to one of the key United Nations Millennium Development Goals. This methodology prescribes a single worldwide weight norm for children of a given age and gender to determine whether they are underweight. The underlying assumption is that regardless of race, ethnicity, culture and geography, different populations produce identical weight and height outcomes if provided identical diets. By implication, a larger proportion of children deviating from the pre-specified norm in a population represents greater incidence of malnutrition in that population.

But populations greatly differ in height and weight even absent nutritional differences. Japanese adults remain 12 to 13 centimeters shorter than their Dutch counterparts after many generations of healthy diet. American adults have been having as good a diet as the Dutch for decades but they began falling behind the latter in height during the 1950s and have shown no tendency to catch up. African adults are much taller than their South Asian counterparts despite poorer diets for decades.

Child malnutrition in India - Times Of India

Read the full article. It makes some very good points.

Not for the scavengers though. They are happy doing the only thing they seem to know. Like an automaton. A hate filled bigot automaton with no common sense.

Now the facts:

Literacy rates:

In higher education, as per the great enlightened moderate (or moderately enlightened depending on how you look at it ;) ).

Of course, we need to aim much higher than we are. We have to get back to being the Jagat Guru we were and will be again.

Ph.D.s (mostly product of poor quality education) in India are like billionaires in India; A few marginally qualified Ph.D.s surrounded by a vast ocean of ignorance just as there 55 Indian Indian billionaires in a country with the world's largest population of poor, hungry and illiterates.

Haq's Musings: 63 Years After Independence, India Remains Home to World's Largest Population of Poor, Hungry and Illiterates

India%2BPoverty%2BNREGA.jpg

Illiteracy%2BWorld.jpg

Open+Defecation+UNICEF.jpg

Poverty headcount ratio at $1.25 a day (PPP) (% of population)
India
2005 - 41.6%
2010 - 32.7%

Pakistan
2006 - 22.6%
2008 - 21%

so-close-freddie-mercury-smiley-emoticon.png
u-mad-troll-smiley-emoticon.gif

Poverty headcount ratio at $1.25 a day (PPP) (% of population)
India
2005 - 41.6%
2010 - 32.7%

Pakistan
2006 - 22.6%
2008 - 21%

so-close-freddie-mercury-smiley-emoticon.png
u-mad-troll-smiley-emoticon.gif

According to WB,In 2012 its 37.5%.

According to latest World Bank estimates, Pakistan ranked most exposed to poverty risks among 43 countries. Its poverty rate jumped from 23.9 per cent to 37.5 per cent in three years. This can be described as devastating.

Jump in Pakistan

The same automaton like Pavlovian post.

Disregarding the fact that India has higher per capita income, higher HDI and much higher economic base.

While Pakistan is still more or less into primary and primitive economic activities and only depends on textile trade.

The hungry 90 million - Farrukh Saleem

As of January 28, Pakistan’s estimated population is 182,073,559. Shockingly, of the total, 90 million Pakistanis are ‘food insecure’.

Dr Abid Suleri, Pakistan’s foremost expert in food security, says that 48.6 percent of “people in the country are extremely food insecure” and that “our policymakers are in a constant state of denial. Citing bumper production of wheat, milk and export of rice, they simply rule out that food insecurity is an issue in the country. The mindset to deny existence of a problem coupled with governance issues is the root cause of all policy failures against hunger and malnourishment.”

What really is food security? In 1996, the World Food Summit defined food security as existing “when all people at all times have access to sufficient, safe, nutritious food to maintain a healthy and active life”. In other words, food security is the “availability of food and one’s access to it.”

According to the National Nutrition Survey 2011 conducted by the Benazir Income Support Programme (BISP), around “58 percent of the population is food insecure.” Why are 90 million Pakistanis food insecure? According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), food security is built on three pillars: food availability, food access and food use. There is empirical evidence that 90 million Pakistanis lack “sufficient resources to obtain appropriate foods for a nutritious diet.”

Question: Why do 90 million Pakistanis lack sufficient resources to obtain appropriate foods for a nutritious diet? Answer: Government policy and food inflation. The support price for wheat, for instance, has been jacked up by a factor of nearly 300 percent over the past five years. According to the UN, “inflation, decline in income, natural disasters and stagnating domestic productivity are hampering the attempts to achieve food security for the country’s 180 million citizens.”

Over the past decade, there have been 45,603 fatalities resulting from terrorist violence. Over the past two decades, 12754 people have either been killed or injured in 2,751 incidents of sectarian violence. Over the past decade, there have been 4,048 bomb blasts between Khyber and Karachi. Over the past five years, 569 people have been killed and 1,305 injured inside mosques.

Imagine 90 million hungry human beings. Food insecurity and violent conflict are cousins. There is empirical evidence that food insecurity, interstate war, communal violence, civil conflict and political instability are all closely related.

According to a report by the World Food Programme, “Food insecurity – especially when caused by a rise in food prices – is a threat and impact multiplier for violent conflict. It might not be a direct cause and rarely the only cause, but combined with other factors, for example in the political or economic spheres, it could be the factor that determines whether and when violent conflicts will erupt.”

Imagine 90 million hungry human beings. We have to break the food insecurity-conflict link. The government must design and implement targeted food subsidies. How about school meals, take home rations and food-for-work programmes?

Gives me no pleasure to write this. It is a shame and we should all work to get rid of this.

This difference in mindset is the reason Pakistan is in the state it is. Even literate people like this person are so mired in hate and bigotry rather than doing something positive for their country in this ripe old age.

OTOH, as per the surveys, India has about 20 million people who have hunger issues. We need to make sure it is reduced to zero ASAP.

Isn't it strange that rather than worrying about his own country and the fact that Ummah has the largest number of failed and failing countries, including his own, he chooses to obsess with India when his own country has the same issues, and to a larger extent!

Such people are more dangerous than even the terrorists who blow up the innocents in worship places and markets. They have caused bigger damage to Pakistan and the world.

Now the facts:

Literacy rates:

Not to forget a substantial chunk of that 54.9% are madrassah educated people. You might as well not count them.

State of basic education in Pakistan

The Annual Status of (school) Education Report (ASER) released the other day, this year too, reveals a dismal picture. Just read some of the highlights of the report.

l Close to one-third of the children of 6 to 16 years of age in Balochistan and Sindh are out of school.

l This ratio rises to 61.2 percent in Sindh and 77.7 percent in Balochistan, in regard to early childhood education.

l In Punjab, the ratio is less although quite large in numbers - being 17 percent or so. Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, too, comes close to this figure.

l In government schools in Punjab, the average absentee student ratio is as high as 14 percent, while it is much higher in Balochistan and Sindh.

l Almost 75 percent of the students drop out of schools before reaching class-X, while millions leave in the first two years in the primary schools.

The position is equally depressing with regard to the state and standards of “learning outcomes” as given below:

a) Ninety-three percent of children in Balochistan cannot read a class-II text story in Urdu or their regional language.

b) While up to 77.6 percent cannot properly read sentences. Even in the case of class-V students, these ratios were found to be 64 percent and 28 percent.

c) In Sindh, 84 percent of the class-III students could not read properly the class-II text story, while the ratio for the class-V students was 40 percent.

d) In Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, these ratios were around 70 percent for class-III and for class-V students, it ranged from 33 percent to 56 percent.

e) In terms of English reading, the failure rate in Balochistan is as high as 94 percent for class-III students and 68 percent in class-V.

f) In Punjab, only 26.7 percent of class-III and 61 percent of class-V students could read English sentences.

g) Around 70 percent of children in Sindh and Balochistan could not solve three digit sums.

h) The failure ratios in maths in Punjab and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa was 44.5 percent and 55.9 percent respectively.

The 2012 Global EFA Monitoring Report findings for Pakistan are, indeed, alarming. Pakistan, according to its assessment, will not be able to achieve any of the six Education For All goals by 2015.

State of basic education in Pakistan

It's all very good for us Indians to look at Pakistan and feel good about ourselves, but the fact remains that we are now looking to compete with countries who have far better statistics than ourselves.

I am ashamed we are still in Pakistan's league.

^^ Poor Riaz you couldn't counter my previous messages and started resorting to your usual mudslinging????? When ever you dont have anything to counter or you lies are exposed you have you stock weapons of few articles, India is poor, India doesn't have toilets, Indians are hungry etc etc... You cant stick to topic do you??? We understand your frustration. So do you agree the you misled people on that PISA scores article by hiding the fact that validity of the data is doubtful??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom