Pakistan’s first old home for ‘transgender persons’ established

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

309438_8230741_updates.jpg

LAHORE: Be-Ghar Foundation has established an old home to house transgender people, which happens to be the first one in Pakistan.

The home comes after a recent establishment of a school dedicated for the transgender people, is yet to have its inauguration under the auspices of the organization ‘Be-Ghar Foundation’, standing devoted for the transgender people.

Based-off near Ruchna town in Lahore, the one-storey shelter can house only fifty people at the moment and it is running entirely on the foundation’s investments.

The home has not only aimed at providing free food and shelter to troubled transgender people but is also carrying ongoing treatment to their illness and diseases.

Chairperson Be-Ghar Foundation Aashi Butt explained how it evoked her with grief every time she watched helplessly ailed transgender people wandering on the streets. “By the Grace of God, those transgender people who were tormented with AIDs, HIV, Hepatitis and other fatal diseases have now found their safe haven.”

The shelter family expressed that it doesn’t bother them anymore whether or not their close relations attempt to check up on them, “We now have a home… and it is not less than any heaven to us,” they added.

The shelter home is yet to hold its formal inauguration in few coming days.

On the other hand, the transgender community has pleaded the government for establishment of more shelter homes like such in various localities.

309438_8230741_updates.jpg

they doesn't looks old to me.....and mostly shemales and lady boys not transgender even i am kind of lady boy but am Gay not transgender which most of the boys misunderstood about me too:(

First time: Transgender set to contest NA polls from Okara

1702683-whatsappimageatpm-1525506270-844-640x480.jpeg

ISLAMABAD: For the first time in the history of Pakistan, a transgender is all set to contest for the National Assembly from Okara.

Nayyab Ali, a member of the provincial voter committee of the Election Commission of Pakistan is also an active part of the All Pakistan Transgender Election Network in Punjab.

She believes that even though life knocked her down several times, she refused to give up and remained motivated and passionate about serving the nation and the people of her area. She now hopes to help them even more by winning NA-141 as an independent candidate.

“I have taken it as a challenge and have already started my campaign on social media and soon will get in touch with my gurus and community for their assistance,” Ali, who is also an acid attack survivor, told The Express Tribune.

Ali, born Mohammad Arsalan, is famous in Okara for her community and social work.

“Unlike my opponents from political parties, I am not financially strong and can’t buy votes, but I am confident that the social work I have been doing will help me win the seat”, she said.

Moreover, talking about the challenges she might face in this process, Ali expressed her concern over the security threats she could face during the polls from rival candidates during various gatherings.

“I only want the government to provide me security during campaign rallies as it is going to be a major challenge to compete against influential candidates”, said the NA hopeful.

While sharing her life experiences, Ali said that when she was in class eight, she was disowned by her family for being transgender.

“I left my family and started living with a guru, who was kind to me and let me continue my studies,” said the Punjab University graduate with a degree in Botany. She is also writing a book which she plans on publishing after the elections.

Meanwhile, discussing her future political plans, Ali said that she would prefer to join the ruling party in order to get effectively execute her ideas.

“If I win the seat, I will make all-out efforts to establish a medical university in Okara and resolve water, sanitation, education, health, and unemployment issues,” she added.

they deserve better , but its a welcome step towards right direction

National Assembly passes bill seeking protection of transgender rights

The National Assembly on Tuesday passed the landmark Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2017 with majority votes, DawnNewsTV reported.

The proposed law enables trans people to be recognised as they perceive themselves and register with the government institutions as transgenders. It also provides them basic rights such as obtaining driver's licences and passports. The bill was presented by PPP lawmaker Naveed Qamar. It was earlier unanimously approved by Senate in March this year.

In addition to this, the bill speaks against the harassment and discrimination of trans people in the workplace, in their homes and in a public setting. It also prescribes imprisonment of up to six months for those employing members of the marginalised community as beggars or compelling them to beg.

Other landmark provisions of the proposed law that seek to protect the rights of the transgender community include:

• Transgender persons will be able to register to obtain a driver's licence and passport. They will have the option to get their gender changed in National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) records.
  • Harassment of transgenders will be prohibited in and outside their homes.
  • Trans persons will not be discriminated against by educational institutions, employers, in trade and health services, and when using public transport and buying or selling or renting a property they will also not be dismissed because of their gender identity.
  • The government will establish a safe house for transgenders and provide them medical and educational facilities and psychological counselling.
  • Separate rooms will be established at jails where transgenders could be detained.
  • Law enforcement agencies personnel will be sensitised to the rights of transgender people.
  • Trans persons will be provided loans to start businesses on easy conditions.
  • In addition to all basic rights, they will be entitled to inherit property.
  • The government will take steps to ensure employment opportunities for transgenders.
  • Transgenders will have the right to vote in all national, provincial and local government elections and they will not be discriminated against in their pursuit of a public office.
  • They will have the right to assemble and access to public and entertainment sports.
  • Anyone found guilty of forcing a transgender person to beg will be sentenced to six months in prison and served a fine of Rs50,000.
Editorial: Education for trans people

Before this, the only legal recognition of transgender individuals’ rights in Pakistani law came from a Supreme Court ruling that conferred a number of fundamental rights, such as inheritance, issuance of a CNIC and entitlement to jobs, along with protection from police harassment.

The trans community is celebrating the recent approval of a bill protecting their rights.

Speaking to Images, model and activist Kami Sid said, "This bill is a collective approach of the people and it's a wonderful move. It talks about important issues concerning the trans community and highlights their inclusiveness in society."

Kami Sid expresses joy as the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2017 passes

"I want this day to be remembered each year as National Trans Day," says Kami

5af17670b460f.jpg

The trans community has since, expressed their joy at this victory.

The trans community is celebrating the recent approval of a bill protecting their rights.

Speaking to Images, model and activist Kami Sid said, "This bill is a collective approach of the people and it's a wonderful move. It talks about important issues concerning the trans community and highlights their inclusiveness in society."

The Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Bill 2017 not only empowers trans people to determine their own gender identity and be recognised as they perceive themselves, it also provides them basic rights such as obtaining driver's licenses and passports.

The bill speaks against the harassment and discrimination of trans people in the workplace, in their homes and in a public setting.
Mehlab@mehlabjamee

It's official! Just confirmed NA passed the Transgender Persons Bill in original form as passed by Senate. Will be signed into law by the President. THIS IS HUGE!
The Bill was drafted with collective input from community, trans activists & feminist allies. It's a win
270c.png

4:55 AM - May 8, 2018

Kami added, "I am so happy that this bill has been passed but now I'm just concerned if it will be implemented. At the same time I see today as an iconic day. I want this to be remembered each year as National Trans Day. We've been a neglected minority for so long but we're now proving that we can do so much for ourselves. We'll see more success stories in the future."

5af17672cd03c.jpg

Kami Sid with Naz Pakistan

Apart from providing basic rights, the bill also declares that a safe house be made which will provide trans folks medical and educational facilities and psychological counselling.

Activist Mehlab Jameel, who works with the non-profit organisation Naz Pakistan, told us they are "Still in a state of disbelief honestly."

Mehlab@mehlabjameel
We started working on this Bill last year. The Bill as it has been passed now was drafted by a task force and deliberated upon by legal & policy experts, lawyers, religious/academic scholars, govt depts for months, and of course, trans+khawasira community activists.

5:50 AM - May 8, 2018

"But I am very happy and thankful to the parliamentarians who took this initiative forward. This was a collective effort of the community and its wonderful allies, specially Feminist Collective. The bill incorporated input from all stakeholders from diverse backgrounds and went through a long and stringent process. This bill is unprecedented in its nature and will go towards paving the way for betterment of the community."

"We are making history," they added.

Back
Top Bottom