What's new

Pakistanis give Rs 650b in charity every year: study

This particular 650B is through proper channels..... not even including zakaat (collected by force, that too officially) that is a whole separate ball game........

My post was regarding what we give other than the above mentioned.........

Also, if Pakistanis as a nation give 650 Billion, then it needs to be given through proper institutions which actually do solid, real projects which then help the country grow. Randomly giving money shows care and all, but it doesn't really go into a solid structure, helping the population.

This particular 650B is through proper channels..... not even including zakaat (collected by force, that too officially) that is a whole separate ball game........

My post was regarding what we give other than the above mentioned.........

I agree with you, just by looking at the sheer 650 billion number. It is a lot. But....when so much is given without organization, than it goes disorganized too. Which means there is no structure or a project it can be applied to. 650 billion is almost 30-35% less than a trillion. A modern hospital takes about a billion to 2 billion to be created, a top end university and research based institute giving out PHD's would take a few billion to start to open up, a shelter home building with few hundred beds and three meals a day for homeless people, would take a few billion to create but it'll forever help the homeless. The cost of Zarb-E-Azb is a few billions per month......so 650 billion organized and spent properly, can do wonders. So the donors have to focus on certain areas and then channel these donations smartly in that direction. For example, say someone had somebody (like IK), who's mother had cancer, so he directed his energies towards establishing a hospital. Great cause, someone else could be giving money to support higher education, someone else could be doing this for technical school and skill development, cardiac research and procedures, etc, etc. The choices are unlimited and help thousands of humans long term if you channel your donations directly.

BTW, the money taken out by force, trust me, if I didn't pay taxes, the IRS would LOVE to freeze my accounts, take the money out of my bank account and send me to a court. Heck, if they couldn't get what they needed from my accounts, they'll probably foreclosed on my house, kick me out and auction it to collect government dues. That's just how any system works. Pakistan should be no different, in fact it should be more focused and stingy as Pakistan is under-developed and people need to pay taxes so the government can actually do projects which would help the people.

Free Ramzan meals from my mum everyday for 30 days for more deserving plus a sewing education for disadvantaged girls.
That is good thing rich people should not just give food to hungry people or pay for treatment but they should help them stand on their feet. By giving them jobs and helping them start buisness.

The research study was conducted by Pakistan Peace Collective (PPC) -a research body of Ministry of Information, Broadcasting and National Heritage.

We are a poor country with a big heart! I did not need any Ministry to tell me how generous Pakistanis are. We are one of the most generous people on the planet, if not the most. The Earthquake appeal, flood, and orphans. The Madaris are totally run on private donations. I thank you my brethren for your generosity in educating us.

“The believer’s shade on the Day of Resurrection will be his charity.” - hadith of as'salaathu was'salaam

“You will not believe until you love for your brother what you love for yourself”; “the believers are like one body in their mutual love and affection: if one limb is injured, the rest responds with sleeplessness and fever” - hadith of as'salaathu was'salaam.

That is good thing rich people should not just give food to hungry people or pay for treatment but they should help them stand on their feet. By giving them jobs and helping them start buisness.

My family doesn't pay cash in Zakat, we usually spend it on buying cloths etc for able and deserving brides or pay for the food for their Barat weghera.

Grand father used to give out a portion of wheat yield and free feed for the live stocks of deserving families. Some of them lived off just a cow and its dairy products. Buying chaara for them was expensive so grand father will ask them to graze them in our fields.

First year of high school, i paid the yearly fee for two of my classmates who wouldn't have been able to study otherwise, that money came from Zakat of my dad. It allowed them to pay their own money for tuitions the whole year.

what does 'a lot' mean? tax can take away between 10 to 40 percent of your income..

I pay about 30% income tax and about 14% in service tax. That is 44% of my income. Then I pay consumption tax which is sales tax+ vat which comes to additional 12 to 25%. You can never equate taxes to Charity. Charity is voluntary, Taxes are not.

My family doesn't pay cash in Zakat, we usually spend it on buying cloths etc for able and deserving brides or pay for the food for their Barat weghera.

Grand father used to give out a portion of wheat yield and free feed for the live stocks of deserving families. Some of them lived off just a cow and its dairy products. Buying chaara for them was expensive so grand father will ask them to graze them in our fields.

First year of high school, i paid the yearly fee for two of my classmates who wouldn't have been able to study otherwise, that money came from Zakat of my dad. It allowed them to pay their own money for tuitions the whole year.
That is good thing to do MAY ALLAH bless your family for this

Zakat can be channelize but only if our politicians are not corrupt.. i think charity is good enough, atleast it is helping and feeding poors.

A lot more than what is said for charity. That is another thing that there are leakages in FBR's system, the Government wants to extend the tax base but is reluctant to wipe off the corrupt first. But we do pay a lot of taxes not voluntarily but hidden and forcefully (Even student in Pakistan pays the income tax).

I dont believe the rich give charity..They steal from us and if they give some back to us that is not charity but our haq :unsure:

That is a blanket statement, not all of them have black money but most of them could have lol.

what does 'a lot' mean? tax can take away between 10 to 40 percent of your income..

Don't remind me of tax, every year government takes certain part of your salary to provide you services, build schools, hospitals, maintain roads etc but only if the money is used for that. In sub-continent that is used to maintain the army of ministers and bureaucrats and their dogs.

I pay about 30% income tax and about 14% in service tax. That is 44% of my income. Then I pay consumption tax which is sales tax+ vat which comes to additional 12 to 25%. You can never equate taxes to Charity. Charity is voluntary, Taxes are not.
I do everything to avoid taxes but i voluntarily give charity

I do everything to avoid taxes but i voluntarily give charity

Paying taxes is your duty and it shows up in public records. You can scrutinize a persons public records. But what you give in charity is private affair between donor and the recipient.

Back
Top Bottom