What's new

Pakistanis Are Third Largest Foreign Investors in Dubai Real Estate

RiazHaq

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistanis have invested $10.6 billion in Dubai real estate, ranking them as the third largest investors in the city on the Gulf. Indian investors lead Dubai real estate investments with $29.8 billion, followed by British investors' $14.7 billion investment.
With at least $146 billion in foreign wealth invested, the Dubai property market is now the world's largest offshore investment market for foreign investors. It is now twice as large as the London real estate market in terms of wealth invested by foreigners through shell companies. There are nearly 20,000 unique foreign owners of Dubai real estate from Pakistan, the third largest number behind almost 35,000 Indian owners and about 23,000 owners from the United Kingdom, according to the EU Tax Observatory.

The record flow of foreign wealth into Dubai real estate has drawn the attention of the FATF (the Financial Action Task Force), the global anti-money-laundering watchdog. The UAE is now "under increased monitoring” (often referred to as the grey list) by the FATF. It is widely accepted that real estate is used for money laundering and hiding wealth from tax authorities.

Many rich Pakistanis, including top politicians and their family members, own real estate in Dubai, according to press reports. Most of the top politicians from Pakistani political parties like PPP, PML-N, ANP and MQM own Dubai real estate. A 2020 Transparency International report said the following about Dubai's attraction to foreign unexplained wealth:

"The UAE’s booming construction and real estate sector emerges as another major weakness. It accounts for a fifth of the Emirates’ GDP, but remains incredibly vulnerable to money laundering. Complex ownership structures can be used to obscure the identity of those buying property, as well as where their money is coming from".

"Despite the UAE’s role as a major international hub for finance and trade, the report concludes that authorities there are not cooperating with international partners. This could make the Emirates an attractive location in which “criminals could operate, maintain their illegal proceeds, or use it as a safe haven.”

"The FATF report confirms what investigative journalists, anti-corruption activists and whistleblowers have been saying for years: the UAE is a key piece in the global money-laundering puzzle. Its susceptibility to money laundering has seen it appear time and again in major cross-border corruption scandals".

Related Links:
Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review
The West Enables Corruption in Developing Nations

Did Musharraf Steal Pakistani People's Money?

Pakistan Economy Hobbled By Underinvestment

Raymond Baker on Corruption in Pakistan

Nawaz Sharif Disqualified

Culture of Corruption in Pakistan

Convicted Money Launderer Altaf Khanani Has Close Ties to Pakistan Politicians

Zardari's Corruption Probe in Switzerland

Politics of Patronage in Pakistan

British Crime Agency Lists Pakistan Among Top 3 Sources of Money Laundering
Riaz Haq's Youtube Channel

PakAlumni Social Network

Pakistanis have invested $10.6 billion in Dubai real estate, ranking them as the third largest investors in the city on the Gulf. Indian investors lead Dubai real estate investments with $29.8 billion, followed by British investors' $14.7 billion investment.

With at least $146 billion in foreign wealth invested, the Dubai property market is now the world's largest offshore investment market for foreign investors. It is now twice as large as the London real estate market in terms of wealth invested by foreigners through shell companies. There are nearly 20,000 unique foreign owners of Dubai real estate from Pakistan, the third largest number behind almost 35,000 Indian owners and about 23,000 owners from the United Kingdom, according to the EU Tax Observatory.

The record flow of foreign wealth into Dubai real estate has drawn the attention of the FATF (the Financial Action Task Force), the global anti-money-laundering watchdog. The UAE is now "under increased monitoring” (often referred to as the grey list) by the FATF. It is widely accepted that real estate is used for money laundering and hiding wealth from tax authorities.

Many rich Pakistanis, including top politicians and their family members, own real estate in Dubai, according to press reports. Most of the top politicians from Pakistani political parties like PPP, PML-N, ANP and MQM own Dubai real estate. A 2020 Transparency International report said the following about Dubai's attraction to foreign unexplained wealth:

"The UAE’s booming construction and real estate sector emerges as another major weakness. It accounts for a fifth of the Emirates’ GDP, but remains incredibly vulnerable to money laundering. Complex ownership structures can be used to obscure the identity of those buying property, as well as where their money is coming from".

"Despite the UAE’s role as a major international hub for finance and trade, the report concludes that authorities there are not cooperating with international partners. This could make the Emirates an attractive location in which “criminals could operate, maintain their illegal proceeds, or use it as a safe haven.”

"The FATF report confirms what investigative journalists, anti-corruption activists and whistleblowers have been saying for years: the UAE is a key piece in the global money-laundering puzzle. Its susceptibility to money laundering has seen it appear time and again in major cross-border corruption scandals".

Related Links:
Haq's Musings

South Asia Investor Review
The West Enables Corruption in Developing Nations

Did Musharraf Steal Pakistani People's Money?

Pakistan Economy Hobbled By Underinvestment

Raymond Baker on Corruption in Pakistan

Nawaz Sharif Disqualified

Culture of Corruption in Pakistan

Convicted Money Launderer Altaf Khanani Has Close Ties to Pakistan Politicians

Zardari's Corruption Probe in Switzerland

Politics of Patronage in Pakistan

British Crime Agency Lists Pakistan Among Top 3 Sources of Money Laundering
Riaz Haq's Youtube Channel

PakAlumni Social Network

Has to be wrong its probably no.1 through aqama or something

All pakistan money gos there every grade 17 guy has villa in dubai
Corruption is nara
Corruotion per sub ka haq

Yes. Alot of money has been going to US, UK, UAE, Malaysia real estate sectors.

Investment till PTI is around is unsafe. They want dictatorship in the form of IK.

If they are not in power, then they will block roads and do violence. Once PTI is banned or disbanded then economy can be stable.
LMAO, so the past 30+ years you donkeys were in power pakistan become a first world country? All these corruption happened suddenly in 3 years. before You donkeys took power check how much in debt Pakistan was and how much IMF loans were taken. 😂

And it's great that Pakistanis have started buying houses in Dubai. I want to see the good old Britain and its cozy houses with a lawn again.

When I decided on a mortgage during the first conversation with Mortgage Advisor Doncaster, I explained that I would prefer my neighbors be European and that my house was built in the classic British style. I am very glad that I got the most favorable conditions for just such a house, and now I can safely walk along my street and enjoy the cleanliness of the lawns.

This is what we call capital flight.

No surprise here...I don't know about the situation now, but around 2014 or thereabouts, actual boatloads of money used to go to the UAE from the Pakistani coast line...Sharjeel Memon was famous for coordinating this operation.

I do not believe that Pakistanis invest so much money in Dubai real estate. Perhaps European investors have come up with a scheme for transferring money through Pakistan so that the tax service would not be interested in their activities again.

2018 over 4400 govt officials bought properties using illegal transfer , not in govt record. Another reason of FATF.

Back
Top Bottom