What's new

Pakistani youngsters train in India

joey

Reaction score

Special Correspondent

NEW DELHI: Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi is the toast of Pakistan after he qualified for the main draw of the Wimbledon championships. Inspired by his brilliant run, a bunch of Pakistani juniors who are in pursuit of their tennis dreams have come to train at the DLTA Complex here.

The renowned coach and captain of the Pakistan Davis Cup team, Rashid Malik has brought a dozen players including three girls — sporting shorts which Rafael Nadal prefer — to India as part of the regional cooperation move of the Asian Tennis Federation (ATF).

“We were planning to travel to Spain, but now we are happy to be here, in such a nice facility,” said Rashid, as he watched his wards train with a clutch of coaches and trainers.

“Back home we have a lot of grass courts, but the kids need to train on the slow courts to strengthen their basics,” said the Pakistani coach who has played with the Indian coaches T. Chandrasekaran and Nar Singh when they were all competing on the regional circuit, and was quite pleased to catch up with them.

Intense training

With the leading Indian under-14 players Rohit Bisht and Aishwarya Aggarwal, who are preparing to be part of the ITF team for the European circuit, joining with the Pakistani players, the training was indeed intense.

“They have been here from yesterday. We need to carefully plan the intensity of the training, according to the weather. It is just a start, and we are not forcing them much. We will provide the right load,” said Arun Singh, chief coach of DLTA. The camp will have two sessions every day, and they have both physical training and tennis drills for overall development.

http://www.hindu.com/2007/06/23/stories/2007062355182000.htm

They get better training in India,
good luck to them and nice development

NEW DELHI: Aisam-Ul-Haq Qureshi is the toast of Pakistan after he qualified for the main draw of the Wimbledon championships.

Aisam will be playing against Lee Childs, who became the only Briton to qualify for the 2007 Championships

Some of Indias's own starts are under pressure too, read this about Sania Mirza.
Indian eyes on Mirza
By Piers Newbery

Mirza is on the way back after a serious knee injury
She may only be ranked 46 in the world but Sania Mirza will be one of the most scrutinised performers at this year's Wimbledon.

India has had its fair share of tennis stars in the past but until the 20-year-old from Hyderabad arrived they had been exclusively male.

Mirza has broken new ground for Indian sport, becoming the first woman to break into the world's top and the first to win a WTA title at her hometown tournament in 2005.

And she has come in for criticism along the way, with some in her country angered by her sporting attire and describing it as "indecent dressing" and "corrupting".

"I try not to read papers as much as possible and I try not to watch too many news channels when the sports news is going on," she tells BBC Sport.

"Every athlete in India has the pressure of the whole country on them when they play, more so the cricketers than me, but that's something that we try and block out as much as possible.

"But it's impossible to do it completely."

I think I get more support at Wimbledon because there are so many Indians out there

Sania Mirza

Mirza was on the verge of breaking the top 30 as an 18-year-old after reaching the last 16 at the US Open but her recent progress has been hindered by a serious knee injury.

She went nine weeks without hitting a ball after surgery and only returned to action at the French Open earlier this month, where she won her first-round match before coming up against eventual finalist Ana Ivanovic.

"When I won my first round in Paris my phone was going off the hook," she says. "Everyone was very excited.

"I was not playing tennis at all for two and a half months - I started playing a week before I went to Paris. It's very hard, especially after you have surgery.

"If you just have an injury and you come back I think it's a bit easier but I literally had to start from scratch. My left leg had so much more power than my right leg.

"I probably thought I would take longer to start hitting the ball as well as I was when I stopped playing. It's been a hard process.

"We've worked very hard in the gym - the rehab started two days after the surgery with little exercises. It's been very, very hard."

After returning to action on clay Mirza is keen to get back to Wimbledon, where she won the junior doubles title in 2003 and says the surface "suits my game".

And there is the added advantage of the healthy level of support she enjoys in the UK.

"There are so many Indians in England and my dad's cousin is there and my mum's sister is in London, in Elephant and Castle," says Mirza.

"My best friend lives in Lancaster, she's studying there, and I haven't seen her in eight months so I'll definitely see her.

"I think I get more support at Wimbledon when I play because there are so many Indians out there and I think during that season a lot of people are visiting England as well.

"It's great, it almost feels like you're playing in India."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6741237.stm

Sania is so effing overrated;
SHARPOVA and Hingis f0r me

Back
Top Bottom