What's new

Pakistani woman donates liver to save infant son

salman77

Reaction score
NEW YORK-

A Pakistani woman risked her own life to save her infant son with the help of a doctor at a hospital, according to media reports.

According to reports, Rabia Anjum, who lives with her husband Zuhaib in Bronx, New York, donated a segment of her liver to her eight-month-old son, Jahanzaib, in December after his own organ was failing from a rare congenital disease.

“I didn’t have a choice,” the courageous 26-year-old mother said.

“I had to be brave for my son.”

Jahanzaib’s suffered from a hereditary disease that causes rapid liver failure. It affects only one in 100,000 children, said the reports.

To complicate matters, the baby was born with an abnormality in which where the organs are on opposite sides of the body. Doctors at Montefiore’s Moses campus admitted the infant and placed him on a children’s transplant list.

But the longer the couple waited for a liver for Jahanzaib, the worse he got – his eyes were jaundiced and he was crying yellow tears.

The couple decided not to wait any longer – little Jahanzaib was failing fast and Rabia was a perfect match, though donating part of her liver to her son meant she would spend weeks recovering, leaving the primary caretaking to her husband.

“It was the worst time in my life,” he said, referring Dec 4, the day his wife and son were both on the operating table.

Both surgeries went well, and Jahanzaib was discharged two weeks later.

Pakistani woman donates liver to save infant son | Pakistan Today

NEW YORK-

A Pakistani woman risked her own life to save her infant son with the help of a doctor at a hospital, according to media reports.

According to reports, Rabia Anjum, who lives with her husband Zuhaib in Bronx, New York, donated a segment of her liver to her eight-month-old son, Jahanzaib, in December after his own organ was failing from a rare congenital disease.

“I didn’t have a choice,” the courageous 26-year-old mother said.

“I had to be brave for my son.”

Jahanzaib’s suffered from a hereditary disease that causes rapid liver failure. It affects only one in 100,000 children, said the reports.

To complicate matters, the baby was born with an abnormality in which where the organs are on opposite sides of the body. Doctors at Montefiore’s Moses campus admitted the infant and placed him on a children’s transplant list.

But the longer the couple waited for a liver for Jahanzaib, the worse he got – his eyes were jaundiced and he was crying yellow tears.

The couple decided not to wait any longer – little Jahanzaib was failing fast and Rabia was a perfect match, though donating part of her liver to her son meant she would spend weeks recovering, leaving the primary caretaking to her husband.

“It was the worst time in my life,” he said, referring Dec 4, the day his wife and son were both on the operating table.

Both surgeries went well, and Jahanzaib was discharged two weeks later.

Pakistani woman donates liver to save infant son | Pakistan Today
Ma ka dil :angel: mother is the esence of khudai and khuda on this planet ... respect to her god bless her

i miss my mom :cry:

why are mothers expected to do more.. than fathers..
onli god can answer that ... even a lion dosent cares about its child/cubs its the lionesses in the pride or any other spieces mother is the supreme care taker

Poor kid, so many complications, hope he survives.

Not trying to troll, but all these genetic defects with the baby makes me wonder if it was a "cousin marriage".

Man finishes his job in 5 mins... It's the mother who has the take care of the child for 9 months.
dont say that..
I give seats to pregnant women(sometimes even fat ladies by mistake) every time in bus or train. we all try to help... :cry:

Thank you for the sea horses and emperor penguins but we do not actually transfer livers in those species now do we?

Poor kid, so many complications, hope he survives.

Not trying to troll, but all these genetic defects with the baby makes me wonder if it was a "cousin marriage".
Not all genetic disorders are caused from cousin marriages some just require 1 gene from any parent...

While sometimes even a random match causes problem...My uncle and aunt are an example...Only sibling out of 6 (uncle) married a non relative and he is the only 1 who seems to have 2 kids with some congenital defects (1 already dead)...

But it is true....people should marry out of the family to keep the gene pool diverse and it also minimizes the chance of having faulty genes (esp those which requires 2 alleles- 1 from each parent)

Back
Top Bottom