What's new

Pakistani Low Cast Hindus: The minority within a minority

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
When one talks about minorities in Pakistan the usual impression is that they are Christians, Hindus and Ahmadis. However, there is, as Sono Khangharani, a low-caste Hindu from Sindh who rose to prominence from humble origins, put it, a minority within this minority. They are the Dalits of Pakistan – the low-caste Hindus. There are six million of them, and while Hindus do not consider them Hindus, the State simply classifies them as a Hindu minority. Thus they are subjected to discrimination from both sides.

Although the Dalit community has come a long way in Pakistan and there is relatively less discrimination against them, there are various issues that underline the social life of this community. Some of the important issues are identity and recognition, less economic opportunity, no support mechanism, and because majority of Dalits are tenants on other people’s land, most of them do not have a permanent address, and thus are not issued the Computerized National Identity Card (CNIC).

Something the low-caste Hindus in Pakistan, as well as in India, look forward to, is identity and recognition, which is perhaps one of the most important aspects of a human life.
Three per cent of the population of Pakistan is classified as a minority, out of which, 50 per cent are Hindus. Interestingly, nine out of 10 of these Hindus belong to the Dalit community. Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah had installed a Dalit Federal Minister for Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs, but that was the first and only instance when a Dalit occupied such a position in the government of Pakistan. Since then, the six per cent job quota of the “scheduled castes” in the federal services of Pakistan was changed into a “minority quota” in 1998. Dr. Meghwar and KrishanBheel (Dalit MNAs at the time) found it futile to raise any objection to such a conversion. This further aggravated the recognition issue of Dalits as they were now part of a minority that refused to accept them as their own.

Lack of economic opportunity is another grave concern for the Dalits. As majority of the low-caste Hindu population present in Sindh and southern Punjab does not own any land. Rather, they are tenants for the big landlords of the area. As a result, they are not only subject to harsh working conditions on the whims of their landlords, but can end up in bonded labor to pay off petty debts.

Sono Khangharani shared one such story, where a Dalit acquired a loan of approximately Rs 5,000 and was forced along with his whole family to work for the landlord for years to come to try to pay off his debt, only to end up with an increased debt of around Rs 100,000. In such a scenario, the already uneducated low-caste Hindu tenants lose any economic opportunity that they would otherwise be able to avail. This coupled with no support mechanism makes life hard for the minority within a minority.

The very few people who have come up from within this community of Dalits in Pakistan are the only support structure for their own community. While the State simply puts them under the three per cent minority, they barely find any emancipation among influential caste Hindus or Christians. Thardeep Rural Development Program is one of the few programs that cater to the needs of the rural population of Tharparker, where over 35 per cent of the population forms the low-caste Hindus. As most of the minority seats of government, even in districts such as Tharpakar, are won by caste-Hindus, government support and sympathy for this downtrodden sector of the society remains negligible.

As I mentioned earlier, low-caste Hindus face an identity crisis. This is not only because of the fact that caste Hindus refuse to acknowledge the Dalits as their brethren in faith, but because a majority of Dalits are tenants with no land ownership at all. They live in make-shift houses made of wood and mud, and can be forced to migrate to other places on the convenience of landlords as well as the harsh natural environment of the desert areas they usually live in
. This means they do not have a permanent address in Pakistan and are not even counted in the national census. As a result, they are not issued Computerized National Identity Cards (CNICs). Somewhat resonating the Palestinians, the Dalits become stateless. Even though, some are being issued CNICs, majority remains without an identity.

Education is the way forward. For the low-caste Hindus present in Pakistan and elsewhere, it is important that education be provided to them. Despite the discrimination that is prevalent in educational institutes against low-caste Hindus as I was told by SonoKhangharani, who represents his community in the United Nations every year, it is the only way Dalits can come out of the darkness they currently find themselves in. Self-awareness, self-help and community recognition coupled with government recognition and support for educating the larger masses of low-caste Hindus will result in many more successful empowered leaders from this community.

The approximately six million Dalits in Pakistan have come a long way from where they stood only a generation ago, but for true emancipation and empowerment, there is a long road ahead. While acceptance of Dalits is still not where it should be, some have come out of bonded labor and availed economic opportunities to make their lives better and become a support structure for their community.

Whereas, the State may recognize and issue identity cards in the future, true empowerment can only come once the caste Hindus accept Dalits as Hindus, and once the government realizes that how this community in Pakistan has become a minority within a minority.

The minority within a minority | Blog | DAWN.COM

6 million? Isn't that number a bit high? That would make them 3.5% of the total population.

India or Pakistan, Dalits in both countries get treated like ....
Not too much difference

They are facing that treatment from their own community... as far as, a hindu to a normal Muslim / Christian is concerned, he is just a hindu, irrespective of his belonging to high class or a dalit.

The Dalits in Pakistan are much better off than India. Somewhere around Clifton there are complete colonies of Dalits who have fled India to settle in Pakistan. The intelligence keeps their eye on them to weed out any RAW agents but overall the state is least bothered and most of them are involved in petty businesses, fruit and vege carts, manual labour, etc etc.

I thought Islam does not believe in caste.

Then why is Pakistan, a true Islamic republic so concerned about caste?

Since they stand on a high horse, should they not treat Hindus as Hindus and not by caste?

Why this hypocrisy?

They are facing that treatment from their own community... as far as, a hindu to a normal Muslim / Christian is concerned, he is just a hindu, irrespective of his belonging to high class or a dalit.

Give me another of these bedtime stories.

Do you want me to produce links of casteism in Pakistan Muslims?

I have given such links before and it was closed down.

Please stick to reality.

Is it not adequate that posts here speak of "I am a Rajput of the Bhatti clan" and so on?

Would you marry a bhangi?

After all there is no caste in Pakistan!

I thought Islam does not believe in caste.

Then why is Pakistan, a true Islamic republic so concerned about caste?

Since they stand on a high horse, should they not treat Hindus as Hindus and not by caste?

Why this hypocrisy?

You seriously need to either study Islam and if you don't have the time, then kindly don't comment on something you don't know.

I know you Indians don't want to leave any chance with respect to Pakistan bashing and Islam bashing, but that is due to ignorance.

So first study, then ask questions.

And Plz do not reply back with your smart azz sarcastic comments, i think i have seen enough of those today.

Post in threads where you know about things, where you don't, don't post.

The Dalits in Pakistan are much better off than India. Somewhere around Clifton there are complete colonies of Dalits who have fled India to settle in Pakistan. The intelligence keeps their eye on them to weed out any RAW agents but overall the state is least bothered and most of them are involved in petty businesses, fruit and vege carts, manual labour, etc etc.

Yes but the question is not about India or Pakistan. The question is for how long Low cast Hindus be discriminated on the basis of flawed shyty cast system?

India or Pakistan, Dalits in both countries get treated like ....
Not too much difference

I can't comment on pakistan, But your word doesn't hold good in India... 50% of governemnt jobs are reserved for So called Dalits, They have all the rights what a so called Upper caste has...

So called dalit discrimination is history in India.. Though we can see few individual incident (occasionally), Any such discrimination is pointed by media and appropriate action taken by administration...

Dalit oppression is history, It was happening some 50 year ago..

Yes but the question is not about India or Pakistan. The question is for how long Low cast Hindus be discriminated on the basis of flawed shyty cast system?

Thanks for your fake concern. The things are not that severe what you are presenting.... :)

Give me another of these bedtime stories.

Do you want me to produce links of casteism in Pakistan Muslims?

I have given such links before and it was closed down.

Please stick to reality.

Is it not adequate that posts here speak of "I am a Rajput of the Bhatti clan" and so on?

Would you marry a bhangi?

After all there is no caste in Pakistan!

The casteism is in Pakistan, especially in Punjab. But they do marriages in each others.

As far your suggestion of marrying me to a bhangi. You need to get knowledge of a bhangi first. We call bhangi those who do some low level of dirty jobs, like cleaning road / gutters / toilets. So here comes the 'class' in between. As those bhangis can be muslim, hindus or christians.

People usually dont marry out of their sect, but that not in any way can be referred to casteism.

But I have hindu friends, and I am least bothered to know about their caste.

i hope one of them becomes president or PM of pakistan or at least CM of some state of pakistan...or you guys can give them reservations in goverment jobs so that they can leave their petty jobs..

I can't comment on pakistan, But your word doesn't hold good in India... 50% of governemnt jobs are reserved for So called Dalits, They have all the rights what a so called Upper caste has...

So called dalit discrimination is history in India.. Though we can see few individual incident (occasionally), Any such discrimination is pointed by media and appropriate action taken by administration...

Dalit oppression is history, It was happening some 50 year ago..

:) pls dont get me started posting about this issue and facts and figures not from 2000 BC but from 2010 and 11 in India.

Thanks for your fake concern. The things are not that severe what you are presenting.... :)

are you dalit?

@tiki-tam tam

in islam their is no cast! and if hindus have their caste then its their issue to muslims a hindu is a hindu! just like to a hindu a sunni muslim a shia muslim is just a muslim!

Back
Top Bottom