What's new

Pakistani American boy to break World Record for flying for Charity

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Meet the 17-year-old American schoolboy who will be the youngest person ever to fly around the world in 30 days
  • Haris Suleman, 17, of Plainfield, Indiana, has been flying with his father, Babar, since he was eight
  • Next month the pair will embark on a round-the-world trip in a single-engine plane
  • They hope to make it in 30 days depending on weather
  • Last September, Australian teenager Ryan Campbell, 19, became the youngest person to fly a single-engine aircraft solo around the world, which took 70 days
  • Suleman is not flying solo so he is in a different category
  • First stop will be Canada, before hitting the other major continents of Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia
  • The trip will finish in California
While most school children are finishing off their exams and looking forward to the summer break, Haris Suleman will be taking off with his father on an incredible journey to fly their single-engine plane around the world in just 30 days.

If they succeed, 17-year-old Haris - who has been flying with his father, Babar, since he was eight - will be the youngest ever to accomplish this daredevil feat.

But it’s not just personal goals that the Sulemans, from Plainfield, Indiana, are striving for.

When they begin their journey next month they will also be raising money to help educate Pakistan’s poorest of the poor – the children living in some of the world’s worst slums.

article-2627539-1DD0F2DD00000578-339_634x475.jpg

A veteran at 17: Haris Suleman has been flying with his father since he was a toddler, and next month will embark on a round-the-world trip, with Haris the lead pilot

article-2627539-1DD0F2E200000578-132_634x286.jpg

The father-son team will take flight in a single-engine plane that they are familiar with and say they have taken all the necessary precautions in preparing

article-2627539-1DD0F2D000000578-85_634x590.jpg

Dad Babar Suleman is an experienced pilot and said he only plans to take over the controls from his son Haris in the event of an emergency

The charity Babar and Haris are supporting – The Citizens Foundation – is this week celebrating the opening of its 1,000th school.

Since TCF’s inception in 1995, the non-profit organization headquartered in Karachi, Pakistan, has built purpose-made primary and secondary schools in the nation’s most in-need communities with the proviso that every attempt is made to have an equal number of boys to girls in the classrooms and the teaching staff is all female.

Depending on the weather, Babar and Haris plan to set off from Indianapolis in June.

Their trip will include stops in Canada, Iceland, England, Greece, Egypt, Pakistan, Indonesia, Australia, Fiji, American Samoa, Kiribati, Hawaii and California.

Using the latest technology, anyone interested will be able to follow the exact flight path of the plane and watch their progress from videos mounted on the outside of the aircraft.

'I am really looking forward to getting going,' said Haris, a junior at Plainfield High School.

'I only just got my license but I can’t imagine a better way to spend my summer.'

'He will be the pilot in command,' added Babar.

'I will only take over the controls in an emergency situation. If all goes well, my son will be going back to school for his senior year with some tall tales to tell.

'He has been flying with me since he was 8-years-old. He couldn’t see above the windshield in those days but he would keep the three instruments in line.'

Last September, Australian teenager Ryan Campbell, 19, became the youngest person to fly a single-engine aircraft solo around the world, pipping the Guinness World Record set by 21-year-old Jack Wiegand three months earlier.

Their journeys took 70 days and 58 days respectively.

‘Haris is not going solo, so he is in a different category,’ said his father.

‘But no 17-year-old pilot in command has ever done this so far, so he gets to hold that record.

‘The second record is the attempt to do it in 30 days, depending on the weather.’

The intrepid pair have taken every precaution to be ready for any emergency, even going on a sea survival course to learn what to do in the event they have to ditch in the ocean.

Babar knows all too well that when you’re flying a plane, things don’t always go to plan. He survived an emergency landing after his plane developed engine trouble during a flight in 2008.

'I had to land on a highway when my engine gave out,' he said. 'My idea this time is that I am planning for an actual ditching. Then if nothing goes wrong it’s a bonus!'

About 60% of the trip will be over huge expanses of water, including the Atlantic, the Pacific and parts of the Indian Ocean.

They will also be passing over the Swiss Alps, the Arabian Desert and the tropical forests of Southeast Asia.

The longest stretch - from Hawaii to California – will take about 13 hours.

Today, TCF runs 1,000 schools with 145,000 students across Pakistan. Every teacher, every principal, is a woman. Every classroom strives to hold as many girls as boys.

The organization’s founders hope that with the help of supporters like the Sulemans, they can forge partnerships with the government in the future to fix Pakistan’s broken public education system.

article-2627539-1DD0F2ED00000578-654_634x379.jpg

• The intrepid pair has taken every precaution to be ready for any emergency, even going on a sea survival course to learn what to do in the event they have to ditch in the ocean

There are more than 240,000 public schools in Pakistan, many of them so badly run they don’t even have toilets or electricity let alone desks and computers.

See a news story of Babar Suleman's emergency landing on a highway in 2008 below

Haris Suleman, 17, will be the youngest person ever to fly around the world in 30 days | Mail Online

This family is related to Rao Qamar Suleman so no surprise there. ;)

Sky is the limit: Father-son duo hit Karachi as they go around the world in 30 days

729834-TheyoungestpilotHaris-1404235538-437-640x480.jpg

Haris Suleman, 17, started his journey on June 19 from Indiana, US, and aims to travel around the world in 30 days to raise money for The Citizens Foundation schools in Pakistan. He is flying with his father, Babar Suleman, who is also a pilot. PHOTOS: ATHAR KHAN/EXPRESS
KARACHI: The father-son duo planning to go around the world in 30 days to raise money for underprivileged reached Karachi on Tuesday afternoon.
The 17-year-old Haris Suleman, who is said to be the youngest person ever to fly a plane, aims to complete a world journey in 30 days. Accompanied by his father Babar Suleman, who is also a pilot, the boy smoothly landed his aircraft at the runway of the Karachi airport.
The-youngest-pilot-Haris-5-copy.jpg

Haris Suleman, 17, started his journey on June 19 from Indiana, US, and aims to travel around the world in 30 days to raise money for The Citizens Foundation schools in Pakistan. He is flying with his father, Babar Suleman, who is also a pilot. PHOTOS: ATHAR KHAN/EXPRESS
A man shouted ‘Welcome to Pakistan’, as Babar’s sister, Nasreen ran to hug him. She had come to receive the two at the airport. Several children of The Citizens Foundation (TCF) schools, whom the son and father are supporting with their project, broke into applause once Haris stepped out of the single-engine aircraft.
“For you, we have come all the way,” his father told the school children, as they shook hands and took flowers from them.
For the teenager, who hails from Indiana, United States, the journey is more about raising money for underprivileged children enrolled in schools run by the non-profit organisation than the desire to make a record of the youngest person to fly a plane across the world in 30 days.
So far, they have raised half a million dollars, revealed Haris, clad in a spotless crisp pilot’s uniform. “We are also supporting 1,000th school-mark that TCF achieved this year,” he said pointing to the TCF logo on the plane. Before deciding to launch this project, Haris was an active volunteer at the TCF local chapters in the US.
The idea to fly around the world came to him in January, when Babar, who was born in Pakistan, randomly asked his son: “Dunya ka chakar lagana hai? [Do you want to go around the world?]”
On June 19, they set off from Indiana with Haris who had gotten his private pilot licence only a month-and-a-half earlier, leading the plane.
The-youngest-pilot-Haris-3-copy.jpg

They flew over water and deserts, visited tourist spots and collected souvenirs before they came to Karachi. So far, they have stopped in Iceland, England, Egypt and the UAE.
“It has been fun but flying over the ocean made me nervous,” Haris admitted. “And we had to wear these ridiculous orange suits when flying over water.”
Journey so far
When Haris was only eight years old, his father would take him flying. In 2011, when he turned 15, he started formal training. “A 17-year-old can get a private pilot licence in the US with 50 hours of cross-country flying,” he explained. “When I left the US for the trip, I had 103 flying hours.”
All the way from the US, Haris’ mother calls frequently to make sure his clothes are clean. “When I would go for training, she would text me to remind me if I had checked the fuel. ‘Was there enough oil?’”
Nasreen, Haris’ aunt, admitted the family was very scared before the start of the trip and they tried to tell them to call it off. “Flying in a single engine aircraft is very scary,” she said.
After spending five days in Pakistan with relatives, Haris and his father will head off to Bangladesh, Bali, Australia, Fiji, Hawaii and reach California by July 21. “Back home, my classmates are very excited,” said Haris. They want him to take them for a ride on his plane as well.

Sky is the limit: Father-son duo hit Karachi as they go around the world in 30 days – The Express Tribune

17-year-old pilot raising funds for education through world voyage
By Shazia Hasan
53b3206b9ed74.jpg

Seventeen-year-old American-born Pakistani Haris Suleman is on a tour of the world, that, too, in 30 days. — Shazia Hasan
KARACHI: As the overcast skies over Karachi cleared somewhat, a tiny particle in the air started getting bigger and bigger. Soon it took the shape of a small single-engine plane that landed here at Karachi airport on Tuesday afternoon.

The pilot of the plane was no ordinary person. Seventeen-year-old American-born Pakistani Haris Suleman is on a tour of the world, that, too, in 30 days. He is flying with his father, Babar Suleman. After starting their journey from Plainfield, Indiana, the US, on June 19, the duo visited Canada, Iceland, England, Greece, Egypt and the UAE before reaching Pakistan.

53b2d9df4ce56.jpg

Capts Haris and Babar Suleman pose with TCF children. -Photo by Shazia Hasan
“Only one-third of the journey is covered,” said Haris as they still have on their list Bangladesh, Indonesia, Australia, Fiji, American Samoa, Kiribati, Hawaii and California, which they intend to cover by July 20.

The Sulemans, who migrated to the US in the 1980s, have undertaken the challenge in a bid to raise money to help educate Pakistan’s poor children.

They are supporting The Citizen’s Foundation (TCF) which is celebrating opening its 1,000th school in Pakistan.

On Tuesday, they took off from Al Ain, the UAE, in the morning to reach Karachi in the afternoon.

The pilots said that so far they hadn’t faced many issues except for their stop in Egypt. “All airports in Egypt close after 8pm. We also wanted to see the pyramids for which we made changes to our schedule to stay there another day. But the pyramids were a bit of disappointment, as the city touches them,” said Babar, the father.

Another thing they did was to avoid Saudi Arabia. “I had heard many stories about the technical team at the airports there,” he added.

53b2d9df2085b.jpg

Happy to be in Pakistan. -Photo by Shazia Hasan
Haris who got his private pilot’s licence recently said he had been flying with his father since his childhood. “Dad has been showing me the ropes since I was eight years old but I got my private pilot’s licence only one-and-a-half months ago,” he said.

Since it is not recommended for single-engine planes to make ocean voyages, and since 60 per cent of the trip was over the oceans, including the Atlantic, Pacific and parts of the Indian Ocean, Haris and his father took a sea survival course to know what to do in the event of a mishap.

Still, Haris said he was a bit nervous when flying over the sea.

They have another major challenge coming up at the end of their tour when they will be flying their longest 13-hour journey from Hawaii to California. In order to be able to make the long voyage possible, the senior Suleman also had to fix an extra fuel tank in the plane.

About the plane, the young pilot said it was “a very good machine”. “Of course, some problems are expected with the hours of use but nothing that cannot be fixed,” he said.

Last year, 19-year-old pilot Ryan Campbell from Australia became the youngest person to fly a single-engine plane around the world in 70 days. But Ryan flew solo.

Haris has with him his dad, Babar Suleman, therefore he comes under a different category.

Haris said he was not very much interested in creating a record rather “we intend to raise US$1 million for TCF, half of which we already have done”.

Published in Dawn, July 2nd, 2014

Back
Top Bottom