What's new

Pakistan Votes: Kuch samajh mey aaya?

AstanoshKhan

<b>PTI: NAYA PAKISTANI</b>
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan Votes is an apolitical campaign asking Pakistanis to either cast one's vote or to void one's vote. The underlying philosophy of the campaign generates from the fact that the 2008 electoral list hosted 40 million ghost voters (multiple entries, voters registered without authentic identification). Bogus votes get casted under the pretext of unverified voters and also under the names of those who fail to show up.

In 2008, roughly 35 million votes were casted. The voter population of Pakistan is ~ 80 million. Some quick math, if we remove the 40 million bogus voters from the 2008 electoral list, we're left with 40 million 'genuine' voters. Now out of those 40 million, 35 million casted their votes. A 90% voter turnout? Really? Here's the real question, how many rigged votes were casted using ghost votes or even under our names because we were no-shows? 10 million? 20 million? 30 million?

Do you like being taken advantage of? Haven't you had enough? Come election time, if there's no candidate you'd like to vote for, then go to the polling booth regardless and make your vote void (how do you void a vote -- simple -- select multiple candidates on your ballot! Did you seriously need to be told how it's done?). Pakistan Votes is not in for the "video hits/likes" -- all the campaign seeks is that you act responsibly by protecting your vote. And this isn't a one time effort, Pakistanis have to vote every time there are elections, every single time. We must stop rigging, we must stop our votes from being misused. The system has to be detoxed, there's no quick fix, let's begin cleaning our mess.

The initiative is not backed by any sponsorships, or any political agenda. It is purely youth driven. A grand total of PKR 5,000 was utilised on this effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irresponsible patriot or mature voter: which are you?
January 26, 2012
I will be the first to admit that it was wrong of me not to vote in the last elections. I regret that decision now, and it seems very irresponsible, especially since I took part in the student movement against former president Pervez Musharraf.

My reason was simple: I did not like any of the candidates. In hindsight, that was not a good enough reason to not protect my vote because even though I did not go to the polling station, in all likelihood, my vote was used in rigging.

I failed to protect my vote and for that I have to apologise. I am atoning for this sin by making sure I can convince as many people as I can to vote so please watch this video. I hope this makes an impact on you.

Even though I made a mistake in the past, the important thing is that I learnt from my mistake and I am going to ensure that this time around I protect my vote. Despite the fact that I am confused right now about who to vote for, I will I cast my vote. Even if I decide not to vote for anyone, I will go to the polling station and fill out the ballot paper in such a way that it gets disqualified and cannot be used in rigging.

I urge my fellow Pakistanis to realize that it is time that we both protected our vote and made it count. If done properly, we, the people of Pakistan, can make sure that our politicians know that we have the power to change their destiny and to hold them accountable for their actions. For too long, we have been careless, irresponsible and unconcerned. Even when we have had genuine love and concern for the country, many of us have not voted for various personal reasons. The time has come for this to change.

So when Pakistan votes, make sure you do too.

Pakistan Zindabad!

Irresponsible patriot or mature voter: which are you? &#8211; The Express Tribune Blog

you beat me to it, bro.

glad i checked before posting....

what a moving video! We need more web activism like this, it's all for a good cause!

Never underestimate the power of your vote.

you beat me to it, bro.

glad i checked before posting....

what a moving video! We need more web activism like this, it's all for a good cause!

Never underestimate the power of your vote.

Their campaign have got some local celebrities too, a few of them had already been seen in that video - she was missing from the video though.

Begum Khurshid Khan
429414_371206136227467_358515214163226_1649302_2140780954_n.jpg

ECP grants overseas Pakistanis right to vote

By Web Desk
Published: February 14, 2012

ECP_AFP543.jpg

336287-electionvoteONLINE-1329215256-979-640x480.JPG

The Election Commission of Pakistan has decided to grant voting rights to overseas Pakistanis, Express News reported on Tuesday.
The decision will allow 3.7 million Pakistanis living abroad to vote.
The debate on whether overseas Pakistanis should be allowed to participate in Pakistan’s elections gained steam after Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan moved the Supreme Court, seeking that those living abroad should be permitted to vote.
In a meeting of the commission on Tuesday, which was chaired by ECP Secretary Ishtiak Ahmed Khan, participants decided that names of overseas Pakistanis will be registered in the electoral rolls, DawnNews reported. Participants also discussed the mechanism for voting, including the option of postal balloting and setting up polling booths at Pakistani embassies. A voting mechanism has yet to be decided.

ECP grants overseas Pakistanis right to vote – The Express Tribune
Voting rights given to expats | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

---------------

Dual national should be allowed to vote BUT not allowed to run for the election.

Back
Top Bottom