What's new

Pakistan summons Indian diplomat over visa denial to 500 pilgrims

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Islamabad: Pakistan today summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner Gopal Baghlay to lodged a protest over denial of visas to 500 Pakistani pilgrims to visit the famed shrine of Hazrat Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti at Ajmer.

Visits to religious shrines in Pakistan and India are governed under the Bilateral Protocol on Visits to the Religious Shrines, 1974.

Pakistan conveyed its deep disappointment and concern over the denial of visas by the Indian government, a statement released by the Foreign Office said.

This is the fourth time that visas have been denied to Pakistani pilgrims in the past one year, it said.

This is not only against the bilateral agreement, but also runs contrary to the efforts towards normalising ties between the two countries and the spirit of people-to-people contacts, the Ministry said.

Foreign Office sources here told PTI that India has officially intimated that as general elections are being held in the country, it would be difficult to host the pilgrims.

Reached for comments, Foreign Office spokesperson Tasnim Aslam told PTI: "Our High Commission in New Delhi has the information that Rajasthan government has no problems in hosting the pilgrims."

Every year, hundreds of Pakistanis visit the Sufi shrine in Ajmer in Rajasthan, which is revered by people across the subcontinent.

@Op Please post the link.......

But on what basis the Visa was rejected???? Normally pilgrims are allowed in both countries...

I am disappointed with Government of India. Last month, thousands of Sikhs pilgrims visited Pakistan on occasion of Biaskahi. Government of Pakistan welcomed them with open arms, provided best possible security and maximum facilities during their visit...Government of India should have Reciprocated in similar manner. Why the double standards? I hope there is some explanation to why Visa was denied. :(

darte hai ye log ki ISI pilgrim ban ke aa jaye gi.spare the pilgrims plz

I am disappointed with Government of India. Last month, thousands of Sikhs pilgrims visited Pakistan on occasion of Biaskahi. Government of Pakistan welcomed them with open arms, provided best possible security and maximum facilities during their visit...Government of India should have Reciprocated in similar manner. Why the double standards? I hope there is some explanation to why Visa was denied. :(

I hope there is a good explanation. I don't want to see our Sikhs suffering because of this.

I am pretty sure there was some paper work issue. Pakistani media has a habit of blaming all paper work fcuk ups of such visits on Indian officials, conveniently missing to report the real reason of the refusal.

Edit: This seems to be due to non availability of security staff which is other wise occupied in election duties

@Sidak What happened why you deleted that post??? I was trying to thank it and error was coming... had to refresh and realised you deleted it...

Maybe they did not want pakistani pilgrims demonstrating against Modi during election time and expressing themselves like they do in pakistan against Shia's.

Back
Top Bottom