Pakistan receives first of six C-130s

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan receives first of six C-130s
By Anwar Iqbal

WASHINGTON, Oct 31: First of the six C-130 military cargo planes that Pakistan is buying from the US left for Islamabad on Monday with relief goods for earthquake survivors, officials said.

“This is the first of the six but we do not have a schedule for other deliveries,” Pakistan’s defence attaché in Washington Brig Khawar Hanif told Dawn. “Right now, our top priority is the earthquake and the PAF is heavily involved in relief operations.”

Pakistan may also delay a deal to buy F-16 fighter jets from the United States because of the devastating earthquake that killed more than 50,000 people.

In August 2003, the US had agreed to sell six C-130 military cargo planes to Pakistan as part of defence assistance committed under the $3 billion aid granted by US President George W. Bush during his Camp David meeting with President Gen Pervez Musharraf earlier that year.

Under the agreement, US aircraft firm Lockheed Martin was to sell six new C-130 planes to Pakistan at an estimated cost of $75 million. The company had committed to start handing over the planes to Pakistan by the end of 2005.

An agreement, signed by the then US ambassador in Islamabad, Nancy Powell, and a senior finance ministry official of Pakistan, also provided for complete upgradation of cockpit avionics for the current Pakistan Air Force C-130 fleet.

The C-130 Hercules primarily performs the tactical portion of the airlift mission. It is capable of operating from rough dirt strips and is the prime transport for air dropping troops and equipment.

Dawn

Ya its good to see new C-130's in PAF this C-130 would be involved in lots of new missions as soon it lands in pakistan with th relief good's by the way these are the X australian C-130's arent they and my question to diving falcon or bilal is up to what standards are these C-130's upgraded too...???

Does anyone know if these are 'new' build C-130's? If so have you got the serial numbers. The last I heard was that 4 Ex-RAAF 'E' models were being refurbished by LM & were to be supplied to the PAF [As BofB has correctly stated]. Where are the additional 2 from if not new? :w00t:

I guess BofB these will be 'H' models after mods.

Someone told me a new Sqn will be formed with these new additions and it would be based out of Masroor. I hear the facilities there are being expanded and the runway being extended. Anyone confirm?

Originally posted by Asif Shamim@Nov 8 2005, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know if these are 'new' build C-130's? If so have you got the serial numbers. The last I heard was that 4 Ex-RAAF 'H' models were being refurbished by LM & were to be supplied to the PAF [As BofB has correctly stated]. Where are the additional 2 from if not new? :w00t:

I guess BofB these will be 'H' models

Someone told me a new Sqn will be formed with these new additions and it would be based out of Masroor. I hear the facilities there are being expanded and the runway being extended. Anyone confirm?
[post=2496]Quoted post[/post]​

Asif i have two questions foryou if you can actually help me out what are the upgardes which have been given to these C-130's secondly since you go to F-16.net on regular base's my second question is how long will the F-16's be delayed since i think your better informed about all that stuff whats is going to be F-16's weapons package and the radar as there were rumers of PAF actaully putting APG-80 AESA rader in the new F-16's it was planing to buy are there any chances of PAF actually getting Aim-9X and Aim 120 B or C i hope youcan help me out with my question.

P.S your right about C-130's being based out of masroor and that the facilities there are being expanded and the runway being extended as this news did surface on the internet and i remember reading it my self so i guess you gotthe correct info.

BofB,

Originally posted by Best of the Best@Nov 8 2005, 03:20 PM
Asif i have two questions foryou if you can actually help me out what are the upgardes which have been given to these C-130's secondly since you go to F-16.net on regular base's my second question is how long will the F-16's be delayed since i think your better informed about all that stuff whats is going to be F-16's weapons package and the radar as there were rumers of PAF actaully putting APG-80 AESA rader in the new F-16's it was planing to buy are there any chances of PAF actually getting Aim-9X and Aim 120 B or C i hope youcan help me out with my question.
[post=2502]Quoted post[/post]​

You've asked the golden nugget question. What package has the PAF selected. When I have something I'll post info. LM are not forth coming on either subject matter for the F-16 and C-130's. Even with all manpower at F-16.Net we still can't get accurate information. :cry:

The problem is PAF has becoming more and more secretive like China, and i think thats whats good for itself. Showing its power will make India buy more equipment, weapons, and spend billions of dollars on military hardware.

I think there is one more policy added, let the enemy underestimate.

I hope this turns out to be right or else..

Originally posted by Asif Shamim@Nov 9 2005, 09:15 AM
BofB,
You've asked the golden nugget question. What package has the PAF selected. When I have something I'll post info. LM are not forth coming on either subject matter for the F-16 and C-130's. Even with all manpower at F-16.Net we still can't get accurate information.
[post=2593]Quoted post[/post]​

Some of what I'm writing here is probably already known about. So apologies in advance. But new items inserted as comments next to airframes with notes.

The six C-130Es [All airframes will be equivalent to Super 'E' standard when delivered] going to PAF are:

Lockheed C-130E msn# 4159
Lockheed C-130E msn# 4171
Lockheed C-130E msn# 4177
Lockheed C-130E msn# 4178
Lockheed C-130E msn# 4180
Lockheed C-130E msn# 4189* - no center wing box work but a new rainbow ftng. 'new' wings and -15's**

* 4189 is the first one to be delivered, followed by 4159. 4189 was delayed due to critiques of acceptance crew [minor non safety flight items I believe]. Remember these airframes now nearly 40 years old. All airframes in good condition as RAAF renowned to look after its fleet pretty well.

**[dash 15 will greatly improve performance, especially at high weights and or high temperatures. This is not just an engine change, but requires upgrades in the mounting areas]

Regarding paint schemes. I've seen a picture of 4189 in a Dark Grey all over scheme [Large PAF roundel by rear jump door] rather than the desert style camo which adorns the existing C-130s in PAF service.

Also read somewhere that the PAF also bought a C-130H from Argentina. This was a accident damaged and repaired aircraft. So not sure if it is being used a flying frame or as spares. Anyone add input. :w00t:

Most of the Argentina's aircrafts has camo like this. After the aircraft gets deliver it is silverly painted, to remove the old camo sheme. After few weeks, they re-paint it to their own camo.

The pictures that we see like this one. Are the pictures that they get when aircraft is newly arrived and had a first paint.

For example look at this aircraft... C-130 Pakistan look how similar this aircraft is compare to Argentinian aircraft camo. :D Now this picture was taken when aircraft didn't even get the first paint.

Hi Ahsan,

The paint scheme I'm referring to is the 'new' colours applied to the Ex-RAAF C-130Es. 4189 has come out in a all over Dark Grey scheme. Don't know anything about the colours for the Ex-Argentine 'H' model.

Thanks for your kind info Asif. When i said silver camo i actually meant grey camo. I guess that there is no grey/silver camo gets painted by PAF. The planes comes in the same camo of the country we bought from and then we re-paint it to ours.

Regards,
Ahsan

Originally posted by Asif Shamim@Nov 12 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Ahsan,

The paint scheme I'm referring to is the 'new' colours applied to the Ex-RAAF C-130Es. 4189 has come out in a all over Dark Grey scheme. Don't know anything about the colours for the Ex-Argentine 'H' model.
[post=2818]Quoted post[/post]​

Hi Ahsan,

I'm only guessing this, but this may be the new scheme being adopted. The airframes had the paint removed when they were refurbished to check for potential problems covered up over the skin. At that point I guess the PAF could have requested the scheme they use to be applied as it would be waste of money bringing them across to be repainted again.

If this is the 'new' [Grey] scheme, then I like it. :clapping:

Originally posted by Ahsan F@Nov 13 2005, 05:42 AM
Thanks for your kind info Asif. When i said silver camo i actually meant grey camo. I guess that there is no grey/silver camo gets painted by PAF. The planes comes in the same camo of the country we bought from and then we re-paint it to ours.

Regards,
Ahsan
[post=2824]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't understand why more Mi-17 were not purchased instead of C-130. The Mi-17's can evaucate injured people and also deliver humanitarian assistance. How can C-130 evacuate injured people from mountain tops. The greatest shortage (almost a shameful one) in Pakistan is of helicopters who are able to operate at very high elevation, and can lift heavy loads. The Mi-17 fits this role like a glove.

Also C-130's cant be used very well in wartimes, Mi-17 can provide modest close ground support with machine guns and rockets and evacute injured soldiers and deliver soldiers to the frontline.

Is the C-130 able to deploy soldiers who parachute out?? Even if it could, parachuting soldiers out is much more dangerous than delivering them by helicopters.

C-130s were ordered long ago, when the earth quake hadn't even striked us. More Mi-17 were not needed, because we didn't expect the need of it. C-130 is able to deploy soldiers parachute out of the plane.

Parachutist have done it numerous of times, not just that. They have also demonstrated it in the Parades, Air Shows, Exercises. So the hazard of it is not a problem, since there is a specific paratrooping course for that.

No doubt Pakistan needs more Mi-17 currently and will need them in the war situation, but that all comes down to the limited military purchase (Russia) and military funds. I was just wondering if Ukraine also has an industry of Mi-17.

What is the status for this? Are all the aircrafts delivered? Seeing that its been almost one more year now, and all the aircrafts were expected to be delivered in 2006. :)

Originally posted by Dynasty@Feb 1 2006, 11:02 PM
What is the status for this? Are all the aircrafts delivered? Seeing that its been almost one more year now, and all the aircrafts were expected to be delivered in 2006. :)
[post=5818]Quoted post[/post]​
I believe two are still being modified to PAF standard, and atleast two have been dilivered.
AFM recently posted pictures in PAF colors.

Back
Top Bottom