What's new

Pakistan moves closer to clinch spot at CERN

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
613789-AheadofNewDelhi-1380917641-124-640x480.JPG

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Friday moved a step closer to becoming associate member of European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), the largest particle physics laboratory in the world.

According to scientists at the National Centre for Physics (NCP) which has been collaborating with CERN since 2000, the CERN Council unanimously approved in principle Pakistan’s name for the process of achieving associate membership, at a meeting on September 17.

The final approval for associate membership depends upon the report of a CERN “fact-finding mission” which will visit Pakistan in February 2014, said Dr Hafeez Hoorani, who is the Director Research at NCP.

The Council’s approval marks the culmination of a process that was initiated by Pakistani scientists in 2008 and has witnessed scientific lobbying, political delays and even a diplomatic campaign by the Pakistani Foreign Office. It also signals the beginning of a process that could potentially lead to Pakistan’s associate membership by the end of 2014.

Located on the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland, CERN conducts some of the most complex scientific experiments of all-time in a bid to understand the structure of the universe. It is the birthplace of the World Wide Web and is home to the world’s largest particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

Pakistan is already contributing to CERN projects including designing detection technology and providing personnel support for the LHC’s maintenance. Associate membership could take the level of collaboration up a notch.

Hoorani, who also works as a Senior Physicist on the Compact Muon Solenoid detector project at CERN, said the membership would allow Pakistan to send more students to CERN for research.

“If we try to send students for research work at CERN now, we have to put up a request,” he said. “With the associate membership, we will get a student quota of say around 15 students so it will be our right and we won’t have to beg.”

The membership would also allow Pakistan to become a part of any CERN projects — a right the country could exercise based on its national interests. Pakistani industry would also be able to apply on a preferential basis for any tenders issued by CERN, NCP scientists said.

Back in June when talks of Pakistan’s associate membership became public, Pakistani physicist Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy had told The Express Tribune that Pakistan’s “modest” collaboration is more about equipment manufacture than physics.

“In no way does this (collaboration) mean that we are on par with China, India, the European countries or the United States,” Hoodbhoy had said, but he had appreciated that it would allow Pakistani students a window into the world of advanced scientific experiments.

The CERN Council consists of 20 member states — all European countries — which are represented by two members each, a scientist and a diplomat. According to NCP scientists, the diplomats were reluctant when Pakistan’s associate membership application came up this year.

CERN has three associate members at present: Serbia, Israel and Ukraine. Responding to a question, Hoorani said Pakistan has also beaten regional neighbour India to the membership process.

Following the approval from the Council, a four-member CERN team led by Director for Research and Computing, Sergio Bertolluci, will visit Pakistan in 2014, he said.

Pakistan moves closer to clinch spot at CERN – The Express Tribune

its ia really good achievement... the seed Mr. Abdus Salam once sowed is at last ready to reap its fruit... :pakistan:

Congrats to Pakistan,make Asia proud!

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan on Friday moved a step closer to becoming associate member of European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), the largest particle physics laboratory in the world.

According to scientists at the National Centre for Physics (NCP) which has been collaborating with CERN since 2000, the CERN Council unanimously approved in principle Pakistan’s name for the process of achieving associate membership, at a meeting on September 17.

The final approval for associate membership depends upon the report of a CERN “fact-finding mission” which will visit Pakistan in February 2014, said Dr Hafeez Hoorani, who is the Director Research at NCP.

The Council’s approval marks the culmination of a process that was initiated by Pakistani scientists in 2008 and has witnessed scientific lobbying, political delays and even a diplomatic campaign by the Pakistani Foreign Office. It also signals the beginning of a process that could potentially lead to Pakistan’s associate membership by the end of 2014.

Located on the Franco-Swiss border near Geneva, Switzerland, CERN conducts some of the most complex scientific experiments of all-time in a bid to understand the structure of the universe. It is the birthplace of the World Wide Web and is home to the world’s largest particle accelerator, the Large Hadron Collider (LHC).

Pakistan is already contributing to CERN projects including designing detection technology and providing personnel support for the LHC’s maintenance. Associate membership could take the level of collaboration up a notch.

Hoorani, who also works as a Senior Physicist on the Compact Muon Solenoid detector project at CERN, said the membership would allow Pakistan to send more students to CERN for research.

“If we try to send students for research work at CERN now, we have to put up a request,” he said. “With the associate membership, we will get a student quota of say around 15 students so it will be our right and we won’t have to beg.”

The membership would also allow Pakistan to become a part of any CERN projects — a right the country could exercise based on its national interests. Pakistani industry would also be able to apply on a preferential basis for any tenders issued by CERN, NCP scientists said.

Back in June when talks of Pakistan’s associate membership became public, Pakistani physicist Dr Pervez Hoodbhoy had told The Express Tribune that Pakistan’s “modest” collaboration is more about equipment manufacture than physics.

“In no way does this (collaboration) mean that we are on par with China, India, the European countries or the United States,” Hoodbhoy had said, but he had appreciated that it would allow Pakistani students a window into the world of advanced scientific experiments.

The CERN Council consists of 20 member states — all European countries — which are represented by two members each, a scientist and a diplomat. According to NCP scientists, the diplomats were reluctant when Pakistan’s associate membership application came up this year.

CERN has three associate members at present: Serbia, Israel and Ukraine. Responding to a question, Hoorani said Pakistan has also beaten regional neighbour India to the membership process.

Following the approval from the Council, a four-member CERN team led by Director for Research and Computing, Sergio Bertolluci, will visit Pakistan in 2014, he said.

The bold statement was uncalled for. India is also on its way becoming an associate member,and already is an observer,along with Turkey,USA,Russia and Japan.

Also to become an associate member an annual contribution of 10 million swiss franc has to be made

Are you kidding me? Me being concerned by India's rise as a technological suppa powwa! :D

We, a puny nation, have you sandboxed in your geographical boundaries, what threat are you to us or anyone else? You have been neutered way before you could even grow up! :cheesy:

Pitch your logic to others who'd bite. Not me. For me you are just another neighbor, who can't do eff all to us. You know it very well, so do I. Let's leave it at that. Go scare BD'ians! :D

And what about pkr?It seems that pkr will hit a value of 110 to dollar by two weeks.Indian rupee seems to be stabilized around a value of ~62

And the statement in that article is really immature,considering Indian contributions to CERN.

You seem to be concerned by India's riseasa technological & military power.Just chill dude.

Btw, no one is belittling your contribution @ CERN. You have some great minds.

Are you kidding me? Me being concerned by India's rise as a technological suppa powwa! :D

We, a puny nation, have you sandboxed in your geographical boundaries, what threat are you to us or anyone else? You have been neutered way before you could even grow up! :cheesy:

Pitch your logic to others who'd bite. Not me. For me you are just another neighbor, who can't do eff all to us. You know it very well, so do I. Let's leave it at that. Go scare BD'ians! :D

Btw, no one is belittling your contribution @ CERN. You have some great minds.

Neutralised?In what way?

It was "neutered" as in "snipped", not being able to exert your hegemony over us. Conventional advantage of attacking and further dismemberment of Pakistan has been taken off the table. So where does that leave you, vis-a-vis Pakistan? Only answer, MAD.

Neutralised?In what way?

Dude, are you the finance minister of Pakistan? Keep your nose out of our business. Go and be worried about stabilizing your suppa duppa INR.

Next Asian tiger ma arse. More like an Asian kitty.

Calm down,I never made any offensive statements about your country,and I expect the same from you. The financial contribution is a large sum,and I am waiting to see whether India or Pakistan will actually make it.

It's a pittance. I'm sure Indian & Pakistan can pay it. Don't forget, you get the right to manufacture / repair / replace extra components with the upgraded membership!

Calm down,I never made any offensive statements about your country,and I expect the same from you. The financial contribution is a large sum,and I am waiting to see whether India or Pakistan will actually make it.

It's a pittance. I'm sure Indian & Pakistan can pay it. Don't forget, you get the right to manufacture / repair / replace extra components with the upgraded membership!

Ofcourse both our nations have the financial strength to pay it,but the question is,will our politicians allow it. In India,there were reports of angry scientists blaming the bureaucratic process for it.

one question ... will this have an impact on Pakistan's civil nuclear energy deal..? will it pave a way for pakistan to join big boys group?

Pakistan should allow KRL and PAEC to join in...

Back
Top Bottom