AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Oil & Gas to Spend $1 Billion on Exploration - BusinessWeek

Pakistan Oil & Gas to Spend $1 Billion on Exploration
July 13, 2010, 8:45 AM EDT

July 13 (Bloomberg) -- Oil & Gas Development Co., Pakistan’s biggest fuels explorer, plans to spend $1 billion this year to drill 48 new wells and increase production, to help bridge the nation’s record energy deficit.

“We are following a very aggressive exploration policy,” Chief Executive Shah Mehboob Alam said in an interview at his office in Islamabad today. “We are targeting a number of discoveries.”

Improved domestic energy supplies may help Pakistan’s economy which has been hurt by terrorism and falling foreign investment. Demand for energy is three times supply and daily power outages have forced textile and engineering factories to close and caused riots across the country.

“There is a huge need and also huge potential to increase production by explorers,” said Umer Ayaz, a research analyst at JS Global Capital Ltd. in Karachi. “Pakistan has unusual risks in exploration and also unusually high potential.”

Shares of Oil & Gas Development rose 2.8 percent to 149.56 rupees at the 3:30 p.m. local time close on the Karachi Stock Exchange, the highest since Oct. 30, 2006. The stock has gained 35 percent this year compared with an 8 percent increase in the benchmark index.

Pipeline Attacks

Oil & Gas plans to expand exploration in the western province of Baluchistan, where attacks on pipelines and installations have disrupted gas supplies, Alam said. The province is estimated to hold more than half the country’s gas reserves.

The company expects the Zin Block in Baluchistan to generate its first gas flows within two years. The block has estimated gas reserves of 10 trillion cubic feet and drilling is scheduled to start as soon as the government approves security plans within the next two weeks, he said.

“We drilled only five out a planned 15 wells in Baluchistan last year because of security issues,” he said. “Now, we have submitted a plan to the Finance Ministry under which the Frontier Corp. will raise a special force of 500 to 600 people.”

Baluch nationalists want political autonomy and a share of the resources in the province, where the country’s largest gas fields, including Sui, are located. The Frontier Corp. is part of Pakistan’s paramilitary force.

The company is also working in fields in western Baluchistan, including the Samandar field, west of Karachi, and Shahana, which is near the border with Iran, Alam said.

Fresh Bids

Oil & Gas will invite bids by tomorrow for the development of Kunar Pasakhi Deep and Tando Allah Yar fields in the southern province of Sindh, Alam said. Previously awarded tenders had been canceled after being challenged in court for not complying with regulatory procedures.

The two fields may produce 280 million cubic feet of gas a day, 360 metric tons of liquefied petroleum gas a day and 4,300 barrels of oil a day, Alam said.

A “sizeable” discovery in the northwest will be announced in “a couple of days,” Alam said, without giving details.

The company drilled 26 wells and made six discoveries in the year ended June 30, including at Nashpa in the northwest, which is producing 15 million cubic feet a day of gas and 4,700 barrels of oil a day, he said. Oil & Gas Development discovers fuel in one out of every 2.3 wells drilled, compared with an industry average of one in every 3.8, he said.

New Compressors

Oil & Gas Development will increase production after installing new compressors to plug leaks at the Qadirpur gas field by September, Alam said. The company plans to buy two new rigs this year.

The Qadirpur field in the southern province of Sindh contributes about 40 percent of the company’s total gas output.

Oil & Gas Development produces about 1 billion cubic feet of gas a day, or a quarter of the country’s total output. Its oil production is 60 percent of the nation’s total of 62,000 barrels a day. Pakistan imports 85 percent of its oil needs.

The company’s profit in the 12 months ended June 30, will be “higher than last year,” Alam said, without giving details. Oil & Gas reported a net profit of 55.5 billion rupees ($647 million) in the year ended June 30, 2009, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

--Editors: Naween A. Mangi, John Chacko

To contact the reporters on this story: Khaleeq Ahmed in Islamabad at kkhan8@bloomberg.net; Farhan Sharif in Karachi at fsharif2@bloomberg.net.

ab kuch tail milay bhi to baat banti hai

best of luck to the Oil n Gas company
I hope they find oil reserves larger than Saudi Arabia :)

It would be fun to see the reaction of the whole world

PS: - Just kidding but there is no harm in dreaming right?

Hi
They can share a small percentage of this 1 billion US dollars with me & i 'll be more than willing to to do all research for them :agree:

Hi
They can share a small percentage of this 1 billion US dollars with me & i 'll be more than willing to to do all research for them :agree:

bhai unhon ne zameen main se oil discover karna hai, gutter main se football nahi :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding bro - please don't mind and take it as a joke only........ it requires a lot of money and i am afraid you have very less knowledge of how the oil is explored i reckon

It requires big money for planning, drilling, completion, installation of plants etc. Long procedure with big budget balance you need

Even 1 billion is too little my friend, its 1 billion dollar because its economy strived Pakistan

bhai unhon ne zameen main se oil discover karna hai, gutter main se football nahi :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just kidding bro - please don't mind and take it as a joke only........ it requires a lot of money and i am afraid you have very less knowledge of how the oil is explored i reckon

It requires big money for planning, drilling, completion, installation of plants etc. Long procedure with big budget balance you need

Even 1 billion is too little my friend, its 1 billion dollar because its economy strived Pakistan
hahaha off course i am not an expert, was just trying to add risible dimension to all this massive allocation of 1 billion US dollars.

Pakistan's Oil and Gas reserves

Pakistan's extensive oil and gas reserves, largely located in Balochistan province, as well as its pipeline corridors are considered strategic by the Anglo-American alliance, requiring the concurrent militarization of Pakistani territory.

Balochistan comprises more than 40 percent of Pakistan's land mass, possesses important reserves of oil and natural gas as well as extensive mineral resources.

Pakistan has an estimated 25.1 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves of which 19 trillion are located in Balochistan. Among foreign oil and gas contractors in Balochistan are BP, Italy's ENI, Austria's OMV, and Australia's BHP. It is worth noting that Pakistan's State oil and gas companies, including PPL which has the largest stake in the Sui oil fields of Balochistan are up for privatization under IMF-World Bank supervision.

According to the Oil and Gas Journal (OGJ), Pakistan had proven oil reserves of 300 million barrels, most of which are located in Balochistan. Other estimates place Balochistan oil reserves at an estimated six trillion barrels of oil reserves both on-shore and off-shore

Pakistan's Oil and Gas reserves

Pakistan's extensive oil and gas reserves, largely located in Balochistan province, as well as its pipeline corridors are considered strategic by the Anglo-American alliance, requiring the concurrent militarization of Pakistani territory.

Balochistan comprises more than 40 percent of Pakistan's land mass, possesses important reserves of oil and natural gas as well as extensive mineral resources.

Pakistan has an estimated 25.1 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of proven gas reserves of which 19 trillion are located in Balochistan. Among foreign oil and gas contractors in Balochistan are BP, Italy's ENI, Austria's OMV, and Australia's BHP. It is worth noting that Pakistan's State oil and gas companies, including PPL which has the largest stake in the Sui oil fields of Balochistan are up for privatization under IMF-World Bank supervision.

According to the Oil and Gas Journal (OGJ), Pakistan had proven oil reserves of 300 million barrels, most of which are located in Balochistan. Other estimates place Balochistan oil reserves at an estimated six trillion barrels of oil reserves both on-shore and off-shore

This millitarization of Pakistan due to its oil and gas reserves is a well propogated myth. 300 million barrels are nothing to american who have 310 billion barrel available next door in venuzula and 290 billion barrel with their puppet friends Saudi Arabia

where are my indian friends who ask "WHERE DOES PAKISTAN GET MONEY TO BUY WEAPONS??" when we buy weapons of $100 million they question us and we wish to invest $1 billion they let it go by!!!:lol:

i think their is less probability of huge oil assets in Pakistan.the only probable place is Thar desert..

Congr Pakistan.

Then small advice, dont tell this to uncle sam:toast_sign:

i think their is less probability of huge oil assets in Pakistan.the only probable place is Thar desert..
no actually most of the reserves are expected to be found in Balochistan. btw we never invested enough money to go for geological survey and try to find natural resources in Pakistan, most of the areas are still untapped with almost 0 research so there is a high possibility of finding large reserves of oil and gas. Thar deserts could be another place but Balochistan being near to Iran (oil n gas rich) has more possibility of having large oil reserves.
Congr Pakistan.

Then small advice, dont tell this to uncle sam:toast_sign:
Don't worry, kisi ko kuch pata nahi chalay ga :P - kidding
Somebody's pockets are going to get filled, easiest money. "Oh we searched but nothing was found"

yes there is a high probability of corruption but should we rather stop exploring then? it is very important for us to discover oil n gas reserves as our oil import bill is increasing day by day. We must find reserves (if there is any) as soon as possible which can play a key role in country's future economy.

Just imagine, what if they found significant amount of oil from balochistan? - oil import bill goes to nill......... meaning you saved 12+ billion dollars in no time. Then we can talk about exporting and other/or other future demands

1 billion dollars is nothing, even a small shopping centre in my local area (which btw the is biggest inner-city shopping centre of europe) :lol: costed around 4 billion dollars and trust me, its not as big as i had imagined

Where has pakistan suddenly found a billions dollars from?

Incorrect statement. Pakistan has decent oil and gas reserves.

Till around 90's it was thought that NWFP does not have good prospects for oil and gas. MOL discovered a very big gas and condensate reservoir there.

Balochistan is still unexplored. Efforts are now been made to improve security situation to increased oil and gas exploration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom