Canada
"Pakistan Govt Is Earning Blood Money"—Imran Khan
by Frank Huzur, Exclusive Interview for Blitz
December 24, 2009

"Pakistan Govt Is Earning Blood Money"?Imran Khan :: Weekly Blitz

Print Send Comment RSS Share:
Click Image to Enlarge

Imran Khan

The November 9th morning was not a clear cold morning with high wind lashing the streets of Lahore. Just a little before the daybreak, Imran Khan couldn't bear the raging ache in his lower abdomen. He was reeling in unbearable pain for the past six hours at 2, Zaman Park, his home in Lahore for the past four decades. His brother-in-law, Hafeezullah Khan Niazi and his sister, Naureen experienced cruel and cold shivers down their spine at the sight of Imran Khan in excruciating pain. The celebrated cricket legend-turned-chairman of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf thanked his stars later for being in the right place and in right time. He found himself face to face with finest doctors of the cancer hospital he built in memory of his mother-Shaukat Khanum, sweating in cold, wintry morning. He sniffed beads of worry in their expression as they prepared to put him on general anesthesia.

Imran was diagnosed with obstructions in his small intestine. The doctors had no other choice but to go for full incision to clear the blockage. For a moment there was chill in the operation theatre over suspicion of cancerous signs. It was a scare, which was blown up sooner. Shaukat Khanum was also diagnosed with cancer of small intestine, so the apprehension was genuine for a moment or so. Imran looked into the eyes of doctors before dozing off for next couple of hours and said, "Look, I don't want to die in this condition. I want to die fighting like Tipu Sultan".

For a fitness fanatic like Imran, the other evening ahead of addressing his political workers in Model Town of Lahore he had sweated out for an hour at his favourite gym, Shape, just behind Qaddafi stadium, to undergo full-incision surgery was quite a shocker to his hundreds of thousands of supporters and 175 million Pakistani who look up to him as always in hope and despair alike.

The city of Lahore lurched from danger in the morning to crisis in the afternoon until the doctor emerged with triumphant smile on their faces to announce the success of the operation. I was in the milling crowd of thousands of people lingering in doubt on the lawn of Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre. Forlorn faces crowded the hospital, more than one thousand cancer patients lodged everyday, offering bouquet of flowers and sticking 'get well soon' card to the walls and boards. The walls presented a huge mural of greetings, among others, from Muhammad Nawaz Sharif to Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani to school children of prep-school.

When I visited the recovery room of Imran Khan with my host, Mashhood Elahi Khan, an intellectual friend of Imran, a few days later, I found him in cheerful spirit, flipping through the pages of a biography of Jinnah-written by an Indian politician and former Union minister, Jaswant Singh. Also lying on the table beside his bed was Joan Collins' From Good to Great and a book on military history of Pakistan army.

Imran told me, "I was not scared. Sickness shows you what you are. Almighty Allah wants to get something important accomplished through me, so he is protecting me. I've surrendered to Him".

Six days later, he was discharged from the hospital to huge sigh of relief to his admirers and party workers alike. He agreed to share his views on wide range of issues at his Zaman Park home.

This is the first interview Imran Khan accorded to any journalist or media outlets after the scaring illness.

Excerpts of the Interview:

FH: Kerry Lugar Bill, the butt of controversy both in streets and drawing rooms, has been amended in the USA in accordance with changes demanded by the Pakistani people. Do you think everything is now hunky dory? What is your opinion about explanatory notes attached to the bill?

IK: Kerry Lugar Bill to me is all about self respect, a sovereign nation should not accept it. It is not merely a question of Kerry Lugar Bill, it is a question of--whole one sided relationship with the USA. Pakistan is being used as a tissue paper. We are tricked into fighting someone else's war. Pak forces are being brutally killed, civilian are losing limbs and lives every other day. To top it all, there are hundreds of thousands of internally displaced people, billions of dollar going down the drain in already depleted economy, and not to forget the radicalisation of our youths, all because our corrupt ruling elite are addicted to US dollar like leech stuck to blood-skin. It is not a question of $1.5 billion aid. I ask does it compensate for what our country is suffering? What rankle me, above all, is the use of our own army as mercenary against its own people. The military is bombing its own people. It is quite unprecedented that a country should take money from another country.

Kerry Lugar Bill is the ultimate humiliation for country, and it is offering a paltry sum for fighting US war. One US soldier in Afghanistan cost $ 1 million per annum, while a Pakistani soldier cost only $900. If you look at it in combat context, it is a joke.

FH: There is big hullabaloo over the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO). The PPP government seems to be caught in a bind. What is the aftermath?

IK: Well, the whole issue is boiling down to boundary line, cases are being reopened, it means all the amnesty the criminals enjoyed during Bush -Musharraf Presidency, that amnesty is gone. Zardari and his crooked cronies- an entire bunch of criminal politicians would be sweating out. I think it is going to be very tough for Zardari to govern. Of course, there is no government. After the NRO, I think it is going to be an uphill task for the present dispensation.

FH: Would it not be a good idea for a leader like you to unilaterally disclose your assets? As all politicians are shy about disclosing their assets in Pakistan and as press reports suggest some have billions stacked in the overseas accounts and they never come out debunking them. You yourself have been vocal about the need of clarity and transparency in public life?

IK: Already, I have disclosed my assets. When I announced to contest, I announced my assets. You have to disclose your assets as a member of parliament. This is not a question of disclosing your assets, rather disclosing it honestly. Everything I own is in my name. Almost all the top politician of Pakistan have assets purchased in fake names. In other words, in their own name they own nothing. For two reasons, they have fake named accounts---First, they might be making their assets illegally or secondly they want to evade taxes.

FH: Do you own property in foreign locations?

IK: No, I don't own property in foreign locations. Everything I own is in Pakistan.

FH: In Western world there is a debate going on about 'no-hold-barred' free market model. There are talks about creating new system to govern economies. Do you think ruling elite in third world is willing to acknowledge massive changes in the economic order?

IK: There is a dance of naked capitalism. In third world, there is no competition of resource. The game is about monopoly, as mafia rule the country. The whole system hijacked by tiny corrupt elite. The poor is getting poorer; the rich getting richer. The issue is of privatised property and, and the rich getting exemption. In our part of the world, it doesn't even come under the category of capitalism. In Capitalist society, capitalist pay taxes, here rich don't pay taxes. Its like foxes have sincere interest in prolonging the lives of the poultry, as TS Eliot once said.

FH: Does the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf have a game plan, clear and cogent one, to capture power. Unless your party come in power, you can't make effective intervention?

IK: It is not about capturing power. It is about selling the idea whose time has come. The PTI will sweep next elections. More and more people are joining the party. I am an optimist and quite confident of sweeping the next elections. Insallah (God willing), the way things are going, everyday, PTI credibility is on surge.

FH: Why didn't you contest elections in Gilgit and Baltistan?

IK: Of course, we will contest all the forthcoming elections. I didn't go for Gilgit Baltistan, as this was not an election, rather a farce. In any case, this election is going to be challenged in the court. In any democratic country, this election will be null and void.

FH: You are not a pressure group on the floor of Parliament. A political party need to get into the electoral fray and contest elections. Only then you can implement your programme and manifesto?

IK: I don't want to be a rhetorician, a politician who believes in talking red, white and blue in the face. We were right in boycotting the election as it was unconstitutional. The verdict of Pakistan Supreme Court on 31 July vindicated my party stand, the PCO order was declared unconstitutional. We are being penalised for sticking to constitution. It doesn't matter. Sometime you suffer for standing on principles or ideology--which was Independence of judiciary. In the next democratic elections we will sweep as I said where decisions will be made by a majority of the people who will cross their streets to vote the PTI to power.

FH: You continue to enjoy star power among Pakistanis and admirers abroad. But that star appeal has not been converted into votes. Where is the missing link? Have you been able to identify that missing link?

IK: It is not a question of the missing link. If I had contested the February 18, 2008 elections, the PTI would have done well. Star power doesn't mean we should be given vote and power. I disagree with this. There is no shortcut, must go through the process. My party is the only party which has avoided short cut, despite having opportunity to bypass the grinding routes. We decided to stay out, take a longer course, the difficult road. This is the only way to groom a party, which will be a genuine democratic force when it does come to power. That will be the party for change. I don't think that it is about converting star power into votes. It is a question of doing something for missing persons, delivering a credible message and ideology. I don't want my cricketing star power to fetch votes for me.

FH: At the stroke of midnight on 8th November, you were seized by unbearable pain in your stomach. Sudden eruption of the health problem might have made you aware of the fact that even somebody like you who is a fitness fanatic has limited time on hands to bring about changes you so sincerely aspire. Has it compelled you to create a timeline to achieve your stated targets?

IK: (Smiles) No, not at all. It has not dampened or deterred me at all. I take this as a part of life. Not for one second did it make me feel scary to alter my future plan, nothing like that. I practise patience when needed. I treat it as a part of struggle. Life has meaning, to me, only in struggle. Triumph or defeat is in the hands of God. When time for operation on blockage in the small intestine came, I didn't feel fragile. My operation has done nothing of sort to hurry me up. Anyone who believes in God, believes that life and death is in Allah's hands. It is a challenging. It was not scaring at all. It might be painful for a little while, you know, whenever there is a pain, it always allow for soul searching. But comparing to amount of pain I have undergone in my life, it was nothing.

FH: Even your well wishers argue you are not political enough, that somehow your opponents are craftier, more savvy than you with the ways of the politics than you are?

IK: Craftiness or strength in politics doesn't always come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. There is suffering in life, and there are defeats. No one can avoid them. But it is better to lose some of the battles in the struggles for your dreams than to be defeated without ever knowing what you are fighting for. I know my battles; I am fully aware of my dreams. Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do. If you are not criticised, you may not be doing much. Never criticise me unless you have walked a mile in my moccasins. My critics have the habit of inventing flaws in my political ideologies.

FH: You are portrayed as pro-Taleban. By branding you so, your opponent label you as anti-terrorist, so anti-Pakistan. Taleban brand is stamped on you. You are being portrayed as a naive politico who doesn't understand the phenomenon of terrorism?

IK: As for such innuendoes like Taleban brand is stamped, I pity the understanding of my opponents and political adversaries. It doesn't make any difference whatever opponents think. My vision is clear, I want to see a sovereign Pakistan. What I was saying five years ago has come true. The government is fighting American war for a fistful of dollars. I was always anxious for my soldiers and dying civilians and I also didn't expect anything better than opposition, abhorrence and mortal persecution from the ruling elite. I said we are making it a country like Algeria. Everything I said in the past five years has turned right. Unfortunately, a small lobby benefiting from American dollars creates misinformation. We are earning blood money. If my party comes to power, I will make sure these people are punished so that nobody ever repeats these offences. The military operations produce militants.

FH: The world is heading towards bipolar order as China grows in confidence and stature. But that doesn't mean the USA will lose its power of importance beyond certain degrees. You are suggesting Pakistan takes on the American's design in the area. Can Pakistan afford to lock horns with the USA?

IK: Americans pursue their own interests and Pakistan should protect their own interests. If you protest American designs, you do it right. I've always opposed and always will. What is happening right now is not in Pak's interest. The country is sinking under imposed war on terror. No Pakistani national was involved in 9/11 terror attacks in New York. It was never our war. It was made our war by criminal Musharraf for fistfuls of dollar. No question of locking horns with America. America should pursue its own interests; we should be allowed to protect our own interests. There is no question of locking horns with America.

FH: Seymour Hersh in his recent article in The New Yorker, Defending the Arsenal, alleges America is in secret talks with Pakistan government to devise contingency plan to secure Pak Nukes. Indian government is also alarmed. Do you think Pakistan nuclear arsenal can fall in the hands of Taleban or Al Qaida?

IK: Seymour Hersh's commentary seems to be a part of propaganda to divert attention from the real teasers. Our nuclear arsenal is in solid hands of our brave army. I have full faith in its safety and security. In this time of war, Pak army has been making supreme sacrifice, has sacrificed about 3,000 soldiers. God forbid, if such situation arises, every single Pakistani citizen will become a soldier to defend its precious assets. We will defend our nuclear arsenal with maximum sacrifice. New Delhi should stop worrying about such eventualities and repose faith in the gallantry of Pakistan army to defend its precious assets. There is no threat to our nukes, either from within as touted in certain quarters as from extremist elements or sympathisers of Taleban in rank and file of army. Pakistan army is not only moderate, it is also secular in its outlook.

FH: In the aftermath of 26/11 terror attacks on Bombay, Indian government has accused Islamabad as Pakistan has accepted the origin of attacks from its soil. Now terror attacks are quite frequent on Pakistani streets. Pakistan Prime Minister and Interior Minister have, in recent days, spoken of evidence of Indian hands. If that is the case, why Pakistan is not pursuing the matter with Indian government with seriousness?

IK: For a start, this Pakistan govt is the weakest, most corrupt in our history. We have a big criminal in Asif Zardari running the country, who is in the office through NRO, the blackest law. He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers in New Delhi. He basically does what Americans want him to do. He is petrified of anything where he would get Americans upset. And so he is scared of blaming India when the other govt. functionaries keep saying that India is involved through Afghanistan in terrorist attacks in Pakistan. I mean Inspector General (IG) of North West Frontier Province (NWFP) gave a public statement that Peshawar suicide blast had Indian hands. Yet, Zardari didn't utter a word. Well, India and America has alliance, strategic alliance. India is considered a long term strategic ally, while Pakistan really is a hired gun, and Zardari is a hired gun, petrified of saying something.

FH: During my earlier trips to Pakistan, I've experienced a great deal of goodwill for India on Pakistan streets. In my recent trip, however, I find drastic change in people's attitude. People are now openly inimical to India. What is your thought on this?

IK: Well, because there is growing perception in public that Indian government is fuelling militancy and encouraging terrorist --a lot of suicide attacks, whereas our army and police believes Pakistan Tehreek-e-Taleban are carrying out these attacks. But civilians believe Indians. It is unfortunate such sentiments have set in. However, India is more popular on Pak streets than America today.

FH: Where do you see Indo-Pakistan relations heading over the next 5-10 years? Will the head-butt continue or relations will improve?

IK: I can't say, but first war on terror should be resolved first. There will be no movement forward without resolving some core disputes. If I come to power, I will get military out of this war on terror. Secondly, I will resume dialogue with India. But these are stakes. First, Kashmir issue must be resolved. And, it must be resolved through dialogue, with India, Pakistan and Kashmiri leadership on the table. I don't believe in military solutions.

India today feel Pakistan is at the weakest, so they are pushing hard. They think this is the time to corner Pakistan and get maximum concession out of Islamabad .New Delhi is confident of getting out of Paksitan what ever they want. The basis of all terrorism is all political. There will be another Hafeez Sayeed unless we resolve political issues. Unless you remove seven hundred thousand troops from Kashmir, you can't prevent terrorist violence.

FH: You are one Pakistani politician who enjoy good personal relationship with Indian politicians—power elite. If you become Prime Minister of Paksitan, what impact you aspire to bring to the bilateral relationship in order to break the deadlock?

IK: I will tell them the truth. I will deal with Indian leadership on equal footing. Leadership must have a vision, and that vision is needed much more during war time. Strong leader on both sides of the divide can break the ice on contentious issues. It has to be on both sides. Leadership on both sides of the border should be endowed with courage and vision.

FH: Have you ever been offered any role in track II or back-channel diplomacy?

IK: No, I have not been offered any role in track II diplomacy.

FH: Do you have any plan to marry again as you complete half-a-decade of separation with your ex-wife, British heiress Jemima Goldsmith Khan?

IK: There is no such plan at the moment. No, I am not prepared to marry now. However, I don't rule out marriage in future. You never know about future.

FH: You obviously work hard to make a place for yourself in the political arena. Did you have to work equally hard to achieve pre-eminent position in cricket?

IK: In anything you got to work hard to achieve the highest position. It doesn't matter how long it take. You keep going. You learn from mistakes. You never give up.

Imran Khan is a nut

what is his point

ok if he support taliban ,some one tell him to wear a beard
and implement taliban type rules and regulations on his family

if he cannot
then he should shut up
and disban his reactionry PTI

I agree that we shouldn't be taking the money other than operational costs tendered towards fighting the Taliban, but the fight is just.

Imran Khan is a nut

what is his point

ok if he support taliban ,some one tell him to wear a beard
and implement taliban type rules and regulations on his family

if he cannot
then he should shut up
and disban his reactionry PTI

who was his wife? & where are his Children?

I hope some one will ask him about it...

who was his wife? & where are his Children?

I hope some one will ask him about it...

no no
we worship leaders and follow blindly. we don't check back ground.
we never like to think independently and we think with emotions not with mind or realism

its our irony that we have leaders like Imran and Nawaz Sharif
just food for thought
while Supereme court is intrested in Swiss cases, which is good
why is CJ or any judge not intrested in probe about QARZ UTARO MULK SAWAROO scheme. After all even poor contributed more then their capacity in that fund
is judeciery really free or....

Last edited:
"the fight is just."

Then so is America to fight the taliban and support the Afghans and you.

"Imran is not wrong about the Pakistani government taking money and acting like puppets."

But you'd be the PRC's poodle?

How much aid are you receiving from them? What are your balance of trade payments like with them? Any special textile agreements to exports such to them?

Thanks.:usflag:

Imran Khan , ehm brings alot to the table

a) He brings vision
b) Clear understanding on how the Judicial system has to be fixed
c) He also has a political science degree from Western Universities
d) He is educated , lad with a Jiger of Pakistan
e) His social work record speaks for itself

What I like about Imran Bahi is simple Longi sahib that he is what we need a LEADER - not a FOLLOWER ... a LEADER....

WE HAVE TRIED EVERY ONE
A) PPP after bhutto not the same party
B) MQM - hmm they only seem to do stuff in Karachi thats about it
C) NAWAZ AND CREW .... more about hair now then substance

Don't tell me BILALWAL is anywhere qualified to be leader of PAKISTAN ... we need IMRAN to take charge

I AM SICK OF FOLLWERS ppl who take the KASHKOL around begging for AID money I need a PERSON who comes to table and says LOOK

WE HAD A PROBLEM OF PANHANDLING ITS OVER NOW ... WE WILL SLEEP HUNGRY EAT 1 TIME A DAY BUT WE WILL NOT ASK FOR AID THIS IS WHAT I NEEED ...

By definition a LEADER is a person who leads the nation to greater heights ...

When President OBAMA can approve contacts with Taliban , why don't you label OBAMA a taliban???

Finaly , Imran Khan speaks for what is right for - PAKISTAN -

Now one can bash him about Ms Jamaima Khan/Gold , his wife , but I frankly do not discriminate against any race, for me She was a Muslim - and things did not work out between Imran and her because of political pressure by rivals to call her devil - being a jew is not a sin GET OVER IT ....I understand the devorce aspect as post 9/11 she was targeted by politicians for her jewish heritage - I was sad to see them divorce but they are on good terms its a personal matter we have no business

What matters to me is we PUT THE RIGHT PERSON IN CHARGE of nation !!! SOMEONE WHO can engage UN , US , India and at same time someone who has the HEART to engage even the Taliban due to his chrisma and power of dialogue..

HE CAN ACHIVE peace just by his will power along ...

But for me ... what amazes me is IF THAT MAN CAN BUILD a cancer hospital and free universities in pakistan with his limited resources WHAT CAN HE DO when he has finances of whole nation at his disposale, 1 man running around in his shalwar qamis , and just his idea - just imagine what he can do with 130 billion dollar Pakistani GDP and federal reserves

Last edited:
But for me ... what amazes me is IF THAT MAN CAN BUILD a cancer hospital and free universities in pakistan with his limited resources WHAT CAN HE DO when he has finances of whole nation at his disposale[/COLOR]

Please correct your knowledge, he had get backed 100 times of his investment in Hospital project which is running on people donations and zakat.Moreover their is no free treatment or free university running by him so far.
he is now enjoying the people's money dirt(zakat).I am witness,how their management wasting this money.

But you'd be the PRC's poodle?

How much aid are you receiving from them? What are your balance of trade payments like with them? Any special textile agreements to exports such to them?

Thanks.:usflag:
As far as I've heard many commentators on the issue, China does not simply give aid, its sets up major projects and industries within Pakistan. There remains a Chinese stake within the whole deal. Examples are modern train and buses introduced... So things are a lot different.

Rumors are that when Zardari went to China to broker the J-10 deal he asked for his cut, infuriating the Chinese. Ever since the military has tried to keep him out of such negotiations. If he'd approach the US, if history has taught us anything, they'd readily pay him up because in return he would do 10 things as well.

So yes, I trust China a lot more when it comes to rendering assistance to Pakistan.

Please correct your knowledge, he had get backed 100 times of his investment in Hospital project which is running on people donations and zakat.Moreover their is no free treatment or free university running by him so far.
he is now enjoying the people's money dirt(zakat).I am witness,how their management wasting this money.

Poor Imran bahi went college to college , city to city I was there when he came to our school and collected donation for his effort - he signed thousands and thousads autographs to help build cancer research hospital and universities in Pakistan kiya baat hai - Pakistani ho to aysa

Donation lene bhi to wu jate thei .... he did not sit on his arse, and just got the "kingdom" passed to him by being a bhutto or zardari or sharif or Altaf bahi

TIME FOR CHANGE - need a guy like Bhutto back in charge and he fits the bill - he has what you call "SELF RESPECT" and that to me is VITAL in leader

May upper walla give him more :tup::whistle:

Great Pakistani Mind - kuch ker dekhane ke moon main hain - AB to ho jai to maza ajai

Musharaf and Imran ... wah wah ... mazah ajaiga ...Coilition power in next election

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom