What's new

Pakistan Economic Outlook 2023

_NOBODY_

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Pakistan Economic Outlook 2023

In the first episode of 2023, Uzair talks to regular guest Ammar H. Khan about the economic situation in Pakistan and the outlook for 2023. We talked about why the Dar Peg is so dangerous, why people keep ignoring economic fundamentals to run Pakistan’s economy, and the path forward.

Reading Recommendations:

• The Prize by Daniel Yergin
  • World for Sale by Javier Blas

Chapters:

00:00
Introduction
00:50 Current economic situation
08:00 Why is the Dar Peg so dangerous?
20:30 Will decent policies be made in 2023?
23:28 Energy conservation plan of the PDM
28:00 Bright spots in the economy
37:10 Global themes to watch for
40:45 Reading recommendations

One is allowed to dream even if that dream is unlikely to ever come true.

Dream on, brother, all you want. Just be aware that dreams are possible only when asleep. :D

Dream on, brother, all you want. Just be aware that dreams are possible only when asleep. :D
To me, pessimism is worse than death, especially when you look at the potential of this country. Only a few policies are needed to solve the majority of our economic problems. Expansion of the Thar Coal Project can easily lead to the industrialization of our entire coastal belt, this alone can solve so many of our economic issues. The fact that our leadership struggles to do even this makes me want to smash my head against the wall.

Pessimism is worse than death, especially when you look at the potential of this country.

True, but have you looked at the actual condition of the country compared to this magic potential everyone keeps talking about?

True, but have you looked at the actual condition of the country compared to this magic potential everyone keeps talking about?
Nations like South Korea, Indonesia and China were also in a horrible situation once but look at them now. Just look at India's economic situation throughout the 1990s. All it takes is a few good reforms and this potential will indeed get fulfilled Insah'Allah.

Nations like South Korea, Indonesia and China were also in a horrible situation once but look at them now. Just look at India's economic situation throughout the 1990s. All it takes is a few good reforms and this potential will indeed get fulfilled Insah'Allah.

InshaAllah. Jahan pachaas saal intizaar kiya hey, what is a few decades more, eh? :D

InshaAllah. Jahan pachaas saal intizaar kiya hey, what is a few decades more, eh? :D
1673377638884.png

Ameen. Hopefully, my 10th generation will be able to see the first-world wonder that will be called Pakistan. 😂

Those nations elected freely different individuals, and their people were adequately educated and put money into developing their society. Instead, we have Gulu-Bhatt's selecting the same garbage for the last 40 years, and when one goes to a court date, they throw flower petals as if he won a gold medal at the Olympics. When coming out. You have a marasan (Marriyum Aurangzeb) who should be only capable of cleaning someone's latrine as a spokeswoman for the country. Instead, FA pass generals have made one blunder after another.

I will stop here cause the more I write, it's depressing, and you'll drown in sorrow. So my only advice to you would be to get the best possible education and bolt out of Pakistan to better, greener pastures for you and your family. (Do not bet on a dead horse, like other Pakistanis).

Last edited:

Who is your best economist ? Hire him/her

Be friendly with India, dont need to see them as rival that makes Pakistan need to respond any military acquisition like previous J10 from China and some tanks.

Put defense budget always below 1 % of GDP. Just concentrate on nuclear weapon deterrence capability, maintain large army, maintain current Air Force fleet.

Our best economist is Sri Mulyani Indrawati, former World Bank Managing Director. She has been there since Indonesian bounce back from Asia Financial Crisis 1997/1998. She hasnt become Finance Minister during that time but always invited by media to talk about Indonesian economy. After 2004 she become our Finance Minister. She served under SBY administration which is now in opposition. So regardless Sri Mulyani was working under the enemy of current ruling party (PDI-P), she is still hired because the nation need her

Always put the cleverest as leader, under Habibie Presidency Rupiah is strengthening from 16.000 Rupiah per USD into 8000 Rupiah per USD. This is of course helped by political stability after Soeharto resign. Then this political stability is crucial. Pakistan has already been under flaw democracy, but regardless of the flaw, it is still in democracy technically, unlike Bangladesh. So please keep political argument decent and use debate on TV and media as way to convey message rather than showing force on the street.

Ameen. Hopefully, my 10th generation will be able to see the first-world wonder that will be called Pakistan. 😂

Those nations elected freely different individuals, and their people were adequately educated and put money into developing their society. Instead, we have Gulu-Bhatt's selecting the same garbage for the last 40 years, and when one goes to a court date, they throw flower petals as if he won a gold medal at the Olympics. When coming out. You have a marasan (Marriyum Aurangzeb) who should be only capable of cleaning someone's latrine as a spokeswoman for the country. Instead, FA pass generals have made one blunder after another.

I will stop here cause the more I write, it's depressing, and you'll drown in sorrow. So my only advice to you would be to get the best possible education and bolt out of Pakistan to better, greener pastures for you and your family. (Do not bet on a dead horse, like other Pakistanis).
I agree with most of your post except for the part that I highlighted. South Korea and China were absolute sh*tholes. South Korea's economic situation started improving under a military dictatorship and China's under an authoritarian regime.

Pakistan has the potential to grow from a regional power to a great power if the stakeholders of our country, who are generals get their shit together and focus on the economy.

Pakistan can by the middle of this century be a multi trillion dollar economy (GDP). We are talking about a future 300+ million strong market and 10+ million diaspora.

Also we would be the 4th largest nuclear power in the world after USA, China and Russia.

Pakistan has the potential to grow from a regional power to a great power if the stakeholders of our country, who are generals get their shit together and focus on the economy.

Pakistan can by the middle of this century be a multi trillion dollar economy (GDP). We are talking about a future 300+ million strong market and 10+ million diaspora.

Also we would be the 4th largest nuclear power in the world after USA, China and Russia.

As long as the Pakistani army and the Americans are interfering don't expect anything.

Back
Top Bottom