What's new

Pakistan deploys 15,000-strong force for Chinese security

You could look for a joint insurance corpus similar to what we have created with the foreign companies investing in Indian nuclear reactors.
The full burden should never fall on u, as chinese are also making a profit. They r not doing charity here.
If it could work out like that then great. But I don't think it would happen. Yes the Chinese r going to make a profit but the whole project is funded entirely by them so I doubt they would be willing to bear anymore costs. What Pakistan gets out of it in return besides infrastructure development is massive amounts of goods moving through. Besides this there are also going to be industrial zones along the route. A few tax related concessions, cheap labor cost, and proximity to China and the Middle East would be incentive enough for foreign and domestic businesses to set up their industries along these zones, creating thousands of jobs.

If CPEC is executed correctly, it could in time catapult Pakistan into a trade hub and possibly a manufacturing hub...and if all of that comes at the cost of Pakistan paying for the additional security then it's totally worth it.

If it could work out like that then great. But I don't think it would happen. Yes the Chinese r going to make a profit but the whole project is funded entirely by them so I doubt they would be willing to bear anymore costs. What Pakistan gets out of it in return besides infrastructure development is massive amounts of goods moving through. Besides this there are also going to be industrial zones along the route. A few tax related concessions, cheap labor cost, and proximity to China and the Middle East would be incentive enough for foreign and domestic businesses to set up their industries along these zones, creating thousands of jobs.

If CPEC is executed correctly, it could in time catapult Pakistan into a trade hub and possibly a manufacturing hub...and if all of that comes at the cost of Pakistan paying for the additional security then it's totally worth it.

I agree with you, in India we have special economic zones where we encourage foreign investment, support the infrastructure/ companies being built with utilities and basic security which every other citizen gets, along with tax concessions. If they want anything above that, they have to pay for it.
Now imagine if these 15000 men are used in an operation in FATA/ Balochistan in an offensive role, you may have long-term benefits instead of using them as a defensive force

Now imagine if these 15000 men are used in an operation in FATA/ Balochistan in an offensive role, you may have long-term benefits instead of using them as a defensive force

We're already using over 100,000 men in FATA. Balochistan is being dealt with by the FC and they are making good progress. These 15,000 can be spared for security.

I agree with you, in India we have special economic zones where we encourage foreign investment, support the infrastructure/ companies being built with utilities and basic security which every other citizen gets, along with tax concessions. If they want anything above that, they have to pay for it.

We have many troops in Baluchistan and FATA already, adding these guys won't make much of a difference.

Pakistan deploys 15,000-strong force for Chinese security

147060_5896614_updates.jpg

Chinese workers at Gwadar port. -AFP

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has deployed a 15,000-strong military force to protect Chinese nationals working on energy and infrastructure projects in the country, the president said Sunday, after the abduction of a Chinese couple raised safety concerns.

President Mamnoon Hussain told visiting Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Islamabad that the protection of Chinese citizens working in Pakistan was the "top priority" of the government, according to a statement issued by the presidency.

Beijing is investing around $50 billion in its South Asian neighbour as part of a plan unveiled in 2015 to link its far-western Xinjiang region to Gwadar port in Balochistan with a series of infrastructure, power and transport upgrades.

But fears over safety arose last month when two Chinese workers were abducted in Quetta, the capital of the southwestern Balochistan province, which is at the heart of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) project but racked by separatist and militancy.

Authorities were going to all possible efforts to arrest those responsible for kidnapping, Hussain said.

Pakistan has been battling militancy and insurgencies in Balochistan since 2004, with hundreds of soldiers martyred and militants killed in the fighting.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/147060-pakistan-deploys-15000-strong-force-for-chinese-security
Not my business, nor my money. But it would be better to deploy security forces to safeguard everyone, not chinese specifically.

Back
Top Bottom