What's new

Pakistan Damages From Riots Linked To Bhutto Death Top $1 Billion-AFP

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Pakistan Damages From Riots Linked To Bhutto Death Top $1 Billion-AFP

KARACHI (AFP)--Every day laborer Abdul Karim lines up in this southern city, Pakistan's economic hub, looking for work, one of thousands dealing with the economic aftermath of Benazir Bhutto's murder.

Deadly riots triggered by the assassination of the opposition leader caused more than a billion dollars in damage and left hundreds of shops, banks and businesses smoldering in ruin.

The shock of the murder hundreds of kilometers away in Rawalpindi was felt most here in the capital of the southern Sindh province, Bhutto's political heartland.

"I couldn't earn anything and passed the week with little food for my two children," said the tall 31-year-old, dressed in a dark brown shalwar kameez and yellow sweater, standing among dozens facing the same problem.

Textile trader Abdul Wahab arrived here 10 years ago, confident that his prospects were better than in his native, conflict-torn home of Sri Lanka.

The 48-year-old told AFP he "loves Pakistan," but a few hours after Bhutto's death his life's work went up in flames.

"The rioters burnt my factory with everything inside, including trucks loaded with material ready for export," said Wahab, whose small business sold cotton towels to the U.S. and Canada as well as his homeland.

"Fortunately, I had closed an hour before, and no life was lost," he said, though his 30 employees now have no work until Wahab can piece his business back together.

The violence, which claimed at least 58 lives and injured many more across the country, has since simmered down.

But the central bank warned the unrest had hit the economy so hard that it mightn't reach its 7.2% growth target for the year to June 2008.

Eight years of military rule under President Pervez Musharraf have seen undoubted economic progress, but political instability, a state of emergency and Bhutto's assassination have rocked business confidence in recent months.

"The situation has affected the immediate shipment of textiles for export, which has visibly shaken the confidence of foreign buyers," said Khizar Dada, chairman of the Pakistan Cotton Ginners Association.

"We suffered the same problem when Ms. Bhutto was attacked on Oct. 18 (when she was targeted during her homecoming parade from exile), and the current situation has compounded our problems. We are receiving reports from across the province which showed textiles suffered a huge blow."

The instability ahead of newly scheduled Feb. 18 elections has upset everyone, from big businesses to small traders.

Mohammad Hashim, owner of a small bakery in Karachi, said he couldn't open for five days after Bhutto's killing, because of violence and fear in the city.

"Let alone business, we the shopkeepers had to stay for many nights patrolling outside our shops to try and save them from being burned and looted," he said.

The Karachi Chamber of Commerce and Industry estimates losses in Karachi and Sindh at about PKR80 billion ($1.3 billion).

"We have witnessed violence of the worst kind in the past," said former KCCI chairman Majyd Aziz, referring to the southern port city's reputation for sectarian killings.

"But it was the first time that rioters attacked industry," SAID Aziz, who has spent the past week assessing the damage.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
01-08-082054ET
Copyright (c) 2008 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

Nasdaq 100 Flash Quotes

This is why Pakistan rangers should have orders to shoot these "protesters" on sight. Why do they burn things? It's absolutely inane to burn down your own city.

$1.3 b is a staggering amount. From now on whenever something happens where people are expected to cause economic loss, the government should enforce a curfew and shoot troublemakers on sight.

This is why Pakistan rangers should have orders to shoot these "protesters" on sight. Why do they burn things? It's absolutely inane to burn down your own city.

$1.3 b is a staggering amount. From now on whenever something happens where people are expected to cause economic loss, the government should enforce a curfew and shoot troublemakers on sight.

Its easier said than done.

Its easier said than done.

I agree with you ...

The problem is that when GoP uses forces then the same media accuses of Brute Force and when they let people express themselves as violent mob (which i think media wants to happen in Pakistan) then they accuse GoP for not doing any preventive measures.

Ironical ........ What can you do with such people in Media. Its the only reason GoP suffered so much loss. They should have killed a few on sight to show the power of State.

Absolutely!!! this is more to do with Mob Psychology and especially seen in developing countries, Media sometime remains silent but remember Media is for the people and also becomes target of people and government hence its understandable.

See the reaction and suicide attacks Army is facing after Lal masjid incidence, Army has created problem for itself. Now if Gop orders shoot at site order then that will generate lots of bad publicity and new headaches which could have had cascading effect one never knows.

Most people regarding your comments have said it is eaiser said then done, and I personally agree with them. An angry mob is not so easy to control. I respect your statement anyone would of said this, I myself said this when I first heard of these horrible events, but we have to keep in mind the realities of the situation. It is easier to control a mob in a western country which is educated, but in Pakistan our people are uneducated, plus they have nothing to live for, if they die t makes no dent on society or if the live it doesn't matter. Believe me an angry mob once it starts it terror cant be controled.

Okay, maybe it's not practical to shoot dead mob protestors. But thers rubber bullets that can be used. Shoot 10-15 protesters with those, the mob will think real bullets are being fired and disperese without causing much damage. There is a difference between "expressing ones anger" and burning down people's livelihoods.

If the general population is too stupid/illiterate to know the difference, then they have no right to protest. That's what I would say if I was Musharraf.

Okay, maybe it's not practical to shoot dead mob protestors. But thers rubber bullets that can be used. Shoot 10-15 protesters with those, the mob will think real bullets are being fired and disperese without causing much damage. There is a difference between "expressing ones anger" and burning down people's livelihoods.

If the general population is too stupid/illiterate to know the difference, then they have no right to protest. That's what I would say if I was Musharraf.

I know what you are saying but I think you are jumping the guns. Lets say we fire at them, the two choices now before the mob is like you said is either disperse or get even more violent and then only god knows the out come. Now the sort of acts which took place are under no circumstances are they acceptable and should not be allowed to happen in the first place, but once they do then its a different story. If we examine who these people were we would find that they were led by politicians and they were the ones who directed the mob. The mob consisted of mostly the poor and illiterate and also some goons who had no political motivation, and only wanted to go out a break stuff and loot.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom