What's new

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of the Automotive Industry

Spectre

Reaction score
Country
India
After the analysis on the US Car Sales (which is described and discussed in this thread (USA Car Sales Data - October 2015) along with some other developed markets) the folks at Management Punditz have come out with an analysis of the automotive industry in Pakistan (Detailed Article Link). Sharing a summary here.

Key Points
  • A lot of similarity with how the journey started. Suzuki signed a JV with the Pakistan Government in 1982 (Same as what they did in India with Maruti which was owned by the Government of India.
  • Honda entered Pakistan through a JV in 1993. 2 years before India which happened in 1995 (as per this source)
  • Toyota entered Pakistan in 1990 as Indus Motors. India entry was in 1997 with Kirloskar.
  • The similarities end here. Over the past 10-15 years, the Indian market has caught the fancy of all the manufacturers while the Pakistan market is struggling with out dated products generations behind what the companies currently offer.
  • Pakistan has a huge potential if government policies are favorable. It is world's 6 most populous country in the world (India stands second in this ranking and is almost 7 times the population of Pakistan).
  • Pakistan's car sales is 1/20th that of India. Pakistan's monthly car sales currently stand at an average of 15000 units. Although the numbers are modest, the key fact is that this grew over 54% compared to last year.
  • Reminder: India monthly sales is ~220,000 units. That is 15 times the Pakistan Sales. India population is ~7 times that of India.

Top 10 Cars

Manufacturer Level Sales
  • As the charts show, the Pakistan market is carved among 3 players-Suzuki, Honda and Toyota. There are no major local manufacturers.
  • Interestingly the Corolla is Pakistan's largest selling car with a monthly sale of 5000+ units.
  • Hyundai seems to have no presence in Paksitan. Quite surprising considering that they are huge in India.

A look at the top selling cars. (1 PKR= 0.63INR)

Toyota Corolla: Sold as 3 brands/variants
  • Corolla GLI 1.3 (63BHP/121NM/5 Speed Manual:4 Speed AT)PKR 16.25-18.25L
  • Corolla Altis (90HP/154NM, 4 Speed AT, PKR 19.25L
  • Corolla Altis Grande(103HP,173NM, 5 Speed Manual:CVT) PKR 20-23L.
  • Only the top end Altis Grande gets one driver Airbag. No other variants get airbags. ABS is available.
  • A high end vehicle. To compare, the entry level hatch costs around 600K. But feature list is poor.

Suzuki Bolan

• Pretty much the Omni Sold here
  • Like the Omni, bare bones utility vehicle.
  • 800cc,37HP/62NM
  • Costs PKR 695,000 Onwards

Suzuki Mehran

1441959d1448105295t-pakistan-car-sales-july-oct-2015-analysis-automotive-industry-pakmehran.jpg

• The discontinued Maruti 800 sold here
  • 800cc, 30HP/59NM/4 Speed Manual.
  • Costs PKR 625,000 Onwards.

While the US and Europe models offered and Sales numbers made us go green with envy, this look at the other end of the spectrum is a reminder of how our car market has progressed and is continuing to progress over the last 15 years.

Sources:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article is from Team - BHP

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of the Automotive Industry - Team-BHP

@WAJsal @Slav Defence @Arsalan

Pakistani car market is better than Indian, because it is PAKISTAN ! Pakistan Zindabad.....!

Quality > Quantity !

While I respect your patriotic fervor it would nice if you could add some value by means of detailed analysis of the hypothesis of Quality > Quantity you have posted vis a vis Indian and Pakistani Automotive sector.

I would like to add though the OP was purely for informative purposes rather than comparative.

After the analysis on the US Car Sales (which is described and discussed in this thread (USA Car Sales Data - October 2015) along with some other developed markets) the folks at Management Punditz have come out with an analysis of the automotive industry in Pakistan (Detailed Article Link). Sharing a summary here.

Key Points
  • A lot of similarity with how the journey started. Suzuki signed a JV with the Pakistan Government in 1982 (Same as what they did in India with Maruti which was owned by the Government of India.
  • Honda entered Pakistan through a JV in 1993. 2 years before India which happened in 1995 (as per this source)
  • Toyota entered Pakistan in 1990 as Indus Motors. India entry was in 1997 with Kirloskar.
  • The similarities end here. Over the past 10-15 years, the Indian market has caught the fancy of all the manufacturers while the Pakistan market is struggling with out dated products generations behind what the companies currently offer.
  • Pakistan has a huge potential if government policies are favorable. It is world's 6 most populous country in the world (India stands second in this ranking and is almost 7 times the population of Pakistan).
  • Pakistan's car sales is 1/20th that of India. Pakistan's monthly car sales currently stand at an average of 15000 units. Although the numbers are modest, the key fact is that this grew over 54% compared to last year.
  • Reminder: India monthly sales is ~220,000 units. That is 15 times the Pakistan Sales. India population is ~7 times that of India.

Top 10 Cars

Manufacturer Level Sales
  • As the charts show, the Pakistan market is carved among 3 players-Suzuki, Honda and Toyota. There are no major local manufacturers.
  • Interestingly the Corolla is Pakistan's largest selling car with a monthly sale of 5000+ units.
  • Hyundai seems to have no presence in Paksitan. Quite surprising considering that they are huge in India.

A look at the top selling cars. (1 PKR= 0.63INR)

Toyota Corolla: Sold as 3 brands/variants
  • Corolla GLI 1.3 (63BHP/121NM/5 Speed Manual:4 Speed AT)PKR 16.25-18.25L
  • Corolla Altis (90HP/154NM, 4 Speed AT, PKR 19.25L
  • Corolla Altis Grande(103HP,173NM, 5 Speed Manual:CVT) PKR 20-23L.
  • Only the top end Altis Grande gets one driver Airbag. No other variants get airbags. ABS is available.
  • A high end vehicle. To compare, the entry level hatch costs around 600K. But feature list is poor.

Suzuki Bolan

• Pretty much the Omni Sold here
  • Like the Omni, bare bones utility vehicle.
  • 800cc,37HP/62NM
  • Costs PKR 695,000 Onwards

Suzuki Mehran

1441959d1448105295t-pakistan-car-sales-july-oct-2015-analysis-automotive-industry-pakmehran.jpg

• The discontinued Maruti 800 sold here
  • 800cc, 30HP/59NM/4 Speed Manual.
  • Costs PKR 625,000 Onwards.

While the US and Europe models offered and Sales numbers made us go green with envy, this look at the other end of the spectrum is a reminder of how our car market has progressed and is continuing to progress over the last 15 years.

Sources:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article is from Team - BHP

Pakistan Car Sales (July-Oct 2015) and an analysis of the Automotive Industry - Team-BHP

@WAJsal @Slav Defence @Arsalan
so in short corrupyt beurocrats + politicians+local joint venture captilists ruined what would have been a great start for auto industry in south asia :coffee:

While I respect your patriotic fervor it would nice if you could add some value by means of detailed analysis of the hypothesis of Quality > Quantity you have posted vis a vis Indian and Pakistani Automotive sector.

I would like to add though the OP was purely for informative purposes rather than comparative.

I'm not so good at sarcasm....:P

Pakistani cars suck. And I'm not completely sure but I get a feeling it's a similar game in india as well with very high import duties and high taxes etc....

I'm not so good at sarcasm....:P

Pakistani cars suck. And I'm not completely sure but I get a feeling it's a similar game in india as well with very high import duties and high taxes etc....

Well the imported or CKD's units like Jaguars and ilk are horribly expensive ~ costing twice as much as western counterparts with half the features.

But most of the cars for mass market are made in India going upto D segment are comparatively affordable. Some marquee cars like Ford Eco-Sport are even exported to UK etc and they cost much less than in west.

Let us say cars till 25 -30 k USD are value for money and priced at par or less, and above that band are imported so there prices go up astronomically.

so in short corrupyt beurocrats + politicians+local joint venture captilists ruined what would have been a great start for auto industry in south asia :coffee:

Absolutely spot on. I know of a Pakistani car mechanic in uk who has stripped and sold luxury stolen cars from uk and shipped over to Pakistan for next to no money on order by a high profile pak politician

It is a cancer. It is far more prevalent in India.

If I mentioned the name of the politician people would be shocked

The surge in indian numbers might be because of local brands and less price compared to in Pakistan.

Absolutely spot on. I know of a Pakistani car mechanic in uk who has stripped and sold luxury stolen cars from uk and shipped over to Pakistan for next to no money on order by a high profile pak politician

It is a cancer. It is far more prevalent in India.

If I mentioned the name of the politician people would be shocked
politicians usually dont waste there money on luxury cars as far as i know about indian politicians here luxury cars are usually owned by industrialsts or rich buisnessmen or high income excutives of multinational companies where as audi , bmw and mercs are a common sight with upper middle class so sir dont equate car scene in pakistan as what is in india here car ownership thanks to easy car loans became accesible to a very large middle class almost a 1.5 decades ago .... cheers mate :coffee:

hehe so you call it Sabundani? we call it dabba btw
well onli the high roof version which was stopped almost a decade if not more back and the omni/flat roof version almost 5 years back (car machaniks used to call it sabundaani) :D

such articles always make me envious of Indian Auto Industry and the Good Stuff we're missing out,
and lets not even talk about the bikes there.

Back
Top Bottom