Pakistan Air Force to be transformed by 2012

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan Air Force to be transformed by 2012
Tariq Iqbal | May 14, 2007, 19:13

Tanveer Mehmood, Air Cheif Marshal of Pakistan Air Force said that Pakistan Air Force will be completely transformed by 2012.

Pakistan Air Force will get first 50 JF-17 Thunder aircrafts with Chinese avionics which is co-developed by Pakistan and China to make it up to western standards in order to meet the requirements of the Pakistan Air Force.

Pakistan Air Force will have an initial order of 150 JF-17 Thunder aircrafts but the number will rise to 200-250 aircrafts.

Squadrons No. 16 "Panther" and No. 26 "Black Spider" which currently operates A-5 Fantan aircrafts based in Peshawar will receive first batch of JF-17 Thunder aircrafts and will replace A-5 Fantan aircrafts.

First batch of JF-17 Thunder aircrafts consisted of 50 aircrafts will have KLJ-7 radar which is made out to be better than APG-66 radar. As for the missiles, Pakistan is looking into French and United States origin missiles to be fitted with JF-17 other than the SD-10 BVR missiles.

JF-17 Thunder aircrafts will have their refuellers, IL-76 based, which is said to be finalized soon in the middle of this year. F-16 aircrafts will have their own refuellers.

C-130 aircrafts will be upgraded with the C-130 avionics upgrade kits acquired by Rockwell Collins Inc.

First of the sixth Erieye AWACs will join Pakistan Air Force by 2009 with Chinese AWACs.

Air Chief Marshal, also said that a new base for the F-16 aircrafts is being built.

https://defence.pk/news/publish/Pakistan_Air_Force_to_be_transformed_by_2012_20070514.php

Last edited:
PAF is on the right track at the moment. They sure would be a force to reckon with by that time.
Off the topic, but I want to know what, if any, are the efforts to develop BVR missiles indigenousely or with ToT from others? This capability would be crucial for future fighter aircrafts that PAF would be acquiring. PAF can not rely on export all the time.
Kashif

Pakistan in the future will have technology to develop SD-10. It is said to have a lot of American/South African technology and is on par with Russian BVR missiles.

What Air to Air refuelling tankers are we getting for the F16s ?

What Air to Air refuelling tankers are we getting for the F16s ?

Dont know. But it is likely that they are looking for western ones. Especially, American ones are highly likely for better integration, it then all comes down to cost.

What are the chances we'll go for the KC-130, a Hercules based tanker for the F-16's and PAF possible for the choppers?

Hercules mediumlift transport is already in use with PAF.

38c093d69c342b4d74637bbd7d4da814.jpg

If a rate of production of 18 is accepted and if production starts by 2009, it will have 60 odd JF-17s and probably 60-90 F-16 Blk 52. What else do you expect. Ah yes the AWACS and probably air 2 air refueller.

The PAF currently operates F-16's, F-7's, Mirages, and A-5's as its main fighters. After the A-5's retire and the Mirages and F-7s are replaced by the JF-17, will we have only 3 frontline fighters left? The F-16 A/B C/D, JF-17, and J-10...Are there any plans to induct any other western fighter such as Eurofighter/Gripen/F-35? I guess the PAF will think about that after the JF-17s are operational so I guess this question should come up by 2020.

Are there any plans to induct any other western fighter such as Eurofighter/Gripen/F-35? I guess the PAF will think about that after the JF-17s are operational so I guess this question should come up by 2020.

Probably customization of J-10's and JF-17's will be the priority for PAF as they could match/excel IAF SU-30's and the possible Mig- 35's if they are fitted with Israeli and other sub systems.:yahoo:

How do you think the J-10 will excel the Su-30, when the Chinese themselves structure J-10 as the 'lo' combination to their Su-30MKK fighters.

And i repeat JF-17 is a medium tech fighter, its nothing special, its likely to match the old(not upgraded) MIG 29's. Nothing more.

What about AWACS? And yes, JF-17 wont be able to take the MKI, it was just meant to replace our old fighters like A-5's and F-7s.

How do you think the J-10 will excel the Su-30, when the Chinese themselves structure J-10 as the 'lo' combination to their Su-30MKK fighters.

And i repeat JF-17 is a medium tech fighter, its nothing special, its likely to match the old(not upgraded) MIG 29's. Nothing more.

'lo' combination to their Su-30MKK? Where did you read that?

It has probably more to do with with their doctrine, because J-10 has totally outclassed Su-30MKK. Not to mention the J-10s we will recieve will be heavily upgraded with western avionics and missiles.

Probably customization of J-10's and JF-17's will be the priority for PAF as they could match/excel IAF SU-30's and the possible Mig- 35's if they are fitted with Israeli and other sub systems.:yahoo:

Well, to have the benifit of Israeli systems we need to recognize them first, are there any signs that Pakistan might establish diplomatic relations with them in the foreseeable future? And as India acquires better and better planes, Pakistan will have to keep up. The USA is trying very hard to sell F-16s and F-18s to India, and by 2020 India will have a very formidable air force, so Pakistan better get with it and position itself to obtain very advanced systems for its jet or new jets alltogether.

Well as of now you cannot count in J-10. PAF would have more than handfull while inducting the refurbished F-16s, new F-16 s and the new JF-17. Can Any airforce induct more than 2 kind of planes in such numbers at such a short notice. Mind you PAF is small AF with say 300 fighters and they are inducting close to 240 fighters at one go under the current signed contracts. So i feel J-10 will ahve to wait atleast till 2012.

As mentioned clearly by Musharraf on JF17 the mentality of Pakistan is defensive.

With what we are getting we might be able to provide a credible deterrance and at times maybe even short term superiorty in a few fields.

Back
Top Bottom