What's new

Pakistan Air Force moves into former Islamabad airport

Jf Thunder

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has taken over Islamabad's former Benazir Bhutto International Airport, located on the outskirts of the adjacent city of Rawalpindi. PAF Base Nur Khan, which had previously shared the runway and taxiways with the airport, is now responsible for the large passenger terminal and the adjacent ramp where the airliners once parked.

p1745480.jpg

Il-78 aircraft have now moved onto the ramp
of Pakistan's former Benazir Bhutto International Airport,
which has now become part of PAF Base Nur Khan. (Alan Warnes)

The large apron is now home to No 10 Squadron's four Il-78 multirole tanker transport aircraft, which can now taxi to the runway without having to manoeuvre around the PAF's other aircraft. In the near future the PAF's passenger terminal, which is currently housed inside a small building in the base's complex, will also be relocated.

There are several shelter areas at the airport that are used for drills or high levels of alert. During the recent stand-off with India, known locally as Operation 'Swift Retort', a detachment of PAF JF-17 Thunder fighter aircraft were deployed to the base to defend Islamabad.

https://www.janes.com/article/88535...former-islamabad-airport#.XNwIJeZB88k.twitter

The Pakistan Air Force (PAF) has taken over Islamabad's former Benazir Bhutto International Airport, located on the outskirts of the adjacent city of Rawalpindi. PAF Base Nur Khan, which had previously shared the runway and taxiways with the airport, is now responsible for the large passenger terminal and the adjacent ramp where the airliners once parked.

p1745480.jpg

Il-78 aircraft have now moved onto the ramp
of Pakistan's former Benazir Bhutto International Airport,
which has now become part of PAF Base Nur Khan. (Alan Warnes)

The large apron is now home to No 10 Squadron's four Il-78 multirole tanker transport aircraft, which can now taxi to the runway without having to manoeuvre around the PAF's other aircraft. In the near future the PAF's passenger terminal, which is currently housed inside a small building in the base's complex, will also be relocated.

There are several shelter areas at the airport that are used for drills or high levels of alert. During the recent stand-off with India, known locally as Operation 'Swift Retort', a detachment of PAF JF-17 Thunder fighter aircraft were deployed to the base to defend Islamabad.

https://www.janes.com/article/88535...former-islamabad-airport#.XNwIJeZB88k.twitter

are more tanker on the cards? 10 more can take the planes quite a distance for massive strikes, where tanker can also refuel each other. like vulcan operation to falkland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck

are more tanker on the cards? 10 more can take the planes quite a distance for massive strikes, where tanker can also refuel each other. like vulcan operation to falkland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Black_Buck
Yeah What targets are that distance away? Also the refuelers probably wont fly into heavy air defence.

One IL78 can refuel roughly 36 Jf17's with one load. And the PAF has 4 so do the maths.

they were there since ages . i will be happy if i see fighter jets there
Fighters were also stationed there but always on rotation basis.

I have seen a sole F16 there , could easily spot it's stabilizer and parachutepod protruding above a tall fence
Yes F-16 are there also sometimes it can be seen operating from an other base close by.

Yeah What targets are that distance away? Also the refuelers probably wont fly into heavy air defence.

One IL78 can refuel roughly 36 Jf17's with one load. And the PAF has 4 so do the maths.

I am talking about simultaneous refueling capability so a massive strike package can be sent out. Right now, only 12 aircraft can go out in a wave.

I am talking about simultaneous refueling capability so a massive strike package can be sent out. Right now, only 12 aircraft can go out in a wave.
How did you get 12? That doesn't make sense... furthermore. Whats a "massive strike" and where would you envision using one?

Please erase all evidence of its previous name (Benazir Bhutto Intl Airport)
I second this
I doubt more tankers are on the cards, the same ones that were always there are going to stay there.
However I am not knowledgeable about inside information.

Back
Top Bottom