What's new

Pak-Saudi military drill on the cards

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
raheel_sharif--621x414.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Raheel Sharif is said to have discussed with the Saudi authorities the generalities of a joint military exercise that may take place this year, during his maiden official visit to Saudi Arabia concluded Friday.
Pakistan and Saudi Arabia’s joint military exercise SAMSAM-IV was last held in September-October 2011 whereas the joint naval exercise was held in January last year.
“The selection of name, time and place for the military exercise is under consideration. As of now, both sides have agreed to conduct combined military manoeuvres in the ongoing year,” said an intelligence insider requesting not to be named. He said the army chief discussed the issue during his meetings with the Saudi Armed Forces chief General Hussain Bin Abdullah Al Qubayyal and Saudi army chief Lieutenant General Eid Bin Awadh Al Shalwi on Wednesday.
Whether the military exercise would be in sequel to SAMSAM exercises or it would be held under a separate name, also remains to be decided, the source added.
Started Tuesday night, Gen Raheel Sharif’s three-day visit to Saudi Arabia took place amid the reports that Saudi Arabia was acting as a mediator between the government and security establishment for Gen (r) Pervez Musharraf’s ‘safe’ exit from Pakistan to skip the treason trial. The COAS visit, his first ever since assuming the incumbent charge, concluded yesterday (Friday) which conspicuously coincided with an all important hearing in a Special Court here against Musharraf regarding the treason trial. The court had recently issued the former dictator’s bailable arrest warrants for not appearing before the court despite being ordered to, and had fixed February 7 the date for hearing the related case. The Special Court has warned that Musharraf’s non-bail-able arrests warrants would be issued should he refuse to appear before the court on February 18.
However, the intelligence official insists, Raheel Sharif’s visit was planned in December’s first week as part of his official commitments soon after Sharif took over as army chief last November 29.
The Saudi Embassy’s Spokesman in Islamabad Baddar Alotaibi on Thursday expressed inability to comment on Saudi Arabia’s presumed role in Musharraf’s treason trial issue. On military cooperation between Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, he said, without getting into the specifications, both the states have initiated a host of bilateral projects in defence and strategic sectors. “Pakistan and Saudi Arabia enjoy brotherly relations and are cooperating in different areas of mutual interests,” he told this correspondent in a brief telephonic conversation Thursday.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Pakistan’s military had said, Gen Raheel Sharif was conferred King Abdul Aziz Medal of Excellence. He also held separate meetings with Saudi Crown Prince Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud, Saudi Deputy Interior Minister Abdul Rahman Bin Ali Al Rubaian and Saudi armed forces and military chiefs. These meetings, according to a press release, focused on defence and security cooperation, regional stability and steps towards strengthening bonds between the two countries.
Apart from Saudi Arabia, the source said, deliberations are also under way for joint military exercises with China and Turkey in the ongoing year. Pak-Turk Joint Training Exercise Attaturk-VII was held in September 2011 and Sino-Pak Joint Military Exercise YOUYI-IV was held in Pakistan in November 2011.

Pak-Saudi military drill on the cards

Not sure we can discuss something that has not be given a fixed date.
or number of troops involved.

or the place of such exercises.

Last edited:
We need to have large scale exercises near the Indian border. We should fight against Saudi Apache's and Abrams to develop counter blitzkrigh tactics to validate our counter CSD doctrine.

Last edited:
We need to have large scale exercises near the Indian border. We should fight against Saudi Apache's and Abrahms to develop counter blitzkrigh tactis to validate our counter CSD doctrine.

We need to have large scale exercises near the Indian border. We should fight against Saudi Apache's and Abrahms to develop counter blitzkrigh tactis to validate our counter CSD doctrine.

Some of the drills we had conducted in the past were a few KMs away from Afghanistan's, India's, and Iran's boarders. I don't assume that they won't be doing it anymore, but time has changed that I except more drills to be conducted on both soils.

Is there a reason you said the same thing 3 times?

Hope you are trying to copy my trade marked style :D

Is there a reason you said the same thing 3 times?

Hope you are trying to copy my trade marked style :D

I do fancy your style....i hope its not copyrighted :confused:

Some of the drills we had conducted in the past were a few KMs away from Afghanistan's, India's, and Iran's boarders. I don't assume that they won't be doing it anymore, but time has changed that I except more drills to be conducted on both soils.

It doesn't matter who's border that is. what matters is the 'terrain' and temperature. If we manage to defeat or deny victory to a Saudi incursion of Abrams, M113s backed by Apaches, we'd validate our doctrine to repulse a similar attack by India in real life.
Learning works both ways..PS - i do have a fetish for armored warfare.

It doesn't matter who's border that is. what matters is the 'terrain' and temperature. If we manage to defeat or deny victory to a Saudi incursion of Abrams, M113s backed by Apaches, we'd validate our doctrine to repulse a similar attack by India in real life.
Learning works both ways..PS - i do have a fetish for armored warfare.

Indians will in their initial waves, try to use IAF's enormous power to overwhelm Pakistani AF and ground forces.

Expect that they will do a coordinated attack on our infrastructure not unlike what Americans did to Sad-Damn in GW-1.

This is where we'll be tested.

Not on ground, but in the air,

Also expect naval blockade where Indian navy can bring their AC battle group and deny our Masroor AFB to respond in any meaningful way.

If we can thwart the air and naval attacks, we may be able to safe our face on the ground.

May be!

Hope this helps

Indians will in their initial waves, try to use IAF's enormous power to overwhelm Pakistani AF and ground forces.

Expect that they will do a coordinated attack on our infrastructure not unlike what Americans did to Sad-Damn in GW-1.

This is where we'll be tested.

Not on ground, but in the air,

Also expect naval blockade where Indian navy can bring their AC battle group and deny our Masroor AFB to respond in any meaningful way.

If we can thwart the air and naval attacks, we may be able to safe our face on the ground.

May be!

Hope this helps

18 FABs in India are within the operational range of Babur GLLACMs. They can attack us, but won't have bases to return to.
Our Submarine force is what will decide if India can have a blockade or not. Indian Aircraft Carriers are useless beyond the Gulf of Oman....they will be in the targeting range of ground based cruise missiles, if they escape our subs.

We also need to develop Nasr's accurate tech into a carrier killer, just like the Chinese system. We can use existing missiles to develop them into a carrier killing ballistic missile force.

18 FABs in India are within the operational range of Babur GLLACMs. They can attack us, but won't have bases to return to.
Our Submarine force is what will decide if India can have a blockade or not. Indian Aircraft Carriers are useless beyond the Gulf of Oman....they will be in the targeting range of ground based cruise missiles, if they escape our subs.

We also need to develop Nasr's accurate tech into a carrier killer, just like the Chinese system. We can use existing missiles to develop them into a carrier killing ballistic missile force.

Those are kind of last resort defensive mechanisms.

I have yet to see a modern war won by the ground based defensive weapons.

Air superiority and naval superiority wins every time hands down.

your point about Indian forward AFBs is valid. However I am not sure if Pakistan can make them "useless for the duration of war" using conventional means.

In 65 and 71 we used conventional methods to take out the same bases. And we could not.

So it remains to be seen how things will work in future (god forbid".

Pakistan's biggest weakness is that most of our logistics lines are very close to the border.

This is why I hope we never have to come to blows with India. Because this time we may not homes to live in at least in our major cities.

Will MAD be the answer. To speculate this, one has to be mad,

peace

So does this mean Saudi Arabia will fight alongside Pakistan against India if there was a war? Or just Pakistan used by Saudi Arabia to fight Arabs in Syria or Muslims in Iran?

So does this mean Saudi Arabia will fight alongside Pakistan against India if there was a war? Or just Pakistan used by Saudi Arabia to fight Arabs in Syria or Muslims in Iran?

I thought you had enough from me schooling you :what:

The Pakistanis have never got into a fight with Iran or Syria.

I'd encourage you to check out their public statements, otherwise spare yourself from having a political embarrassment.

Depends who have the better numbers and more training.

Let's not over repeat Muslim,
Muslim
Muslim
Muslim
Muslim
muslim

as it sounds like you just were let out of a madrassah.

Depends who have the better numbers and more training.

Let's not over repeat Muslim,
Muslim
Muslim
Muslim
Muslim
muslim

as it sounds like you just were let out of a madrassah.
Madrasah is for Pakistan and Saudi and I'm not either so your only insulting your own kind.

Back
Top Bottom