What's new

Pak pilots carry out all 3,000 missions in eelam war

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Air Chief Marshal Roshan Goonetilike Sunday denied Pakistani media reports that some of the missions against the LTTE had been carried out by Pakistan Air Force pilots.

`There is absolutely no truth in this claim,` Goonetilike told The Island Sunday. Responding to our queries, he said that during Eelam war IV the SLAF had conducted over 3,000 missions against some 1,900 targets in the northern and eastern theatres over the past three years.

He said that three jet squadrons comprising Kfirs, MiG 27s and F7s and the No 9 attack helicopter squadron of Mi 24s had played a critical role in the war. He said that Pakistan was one of the few countries which backed Sri Lanka s war against the LTTE. `There is no dispute over Islamabad s wholehearted backing but we never sought their pilots,` he said.

Foreign pilots had flown missions during previous phases of the Eelam war. At least one Russian pilot died in an LTTE missile attack directed at a Mi 24 helicopter gunship.

Military spokesman Brigadier Udaya Nanayakkara told The Island that there was no truth in reports that Sri Lanka had acquired 22 Al Khalid main battle tanks built in Pakistan. He said that the army had acquired only Czechoslovakian built T-55 main battle tanks apart from Chinese and Russian armoured fighting vehicles and armoured personnel carriers.

According to Pakistan media reports, Al Khalid had played a critical role in the war against the LTTE.

A spokesman for the Armoured Corps told The Island that all they had acquired to fight the LTTE would be displayed on Wednesday (June 3) at a joint armed forces parade at Galle Face to mark the end of 30-year war. `I can assure you that there will be no Al Khalids,` he said.

Military sources said that Pakistan had even released a range of ammunition from its own stocks to Sri Lanka. A large group of Sri Lankan officers had also received training in Pakistan. The sources said that Sri Lanka had received MBRLs (multi barrel rocket launchers) from Pakistan during the year 2000 battle for Jaffna.

Sources dismissed reports that Pakistan armed forces officers had been involved in planning Sri Lanka s successful war against the LTTE.

India had radar operators on a permanent basis to run stations at Palavi, Vavuniya, China Bay and Katunayake, while Chinese personnel had periodically visited the radar station at Mirigama set up by China, sources said.
Sri Lanka SECURITY:: Reports: Pak pilots carry out all 3,000 missions in eelam war

^^

I read this somewhere that LTTE spokes person claimed that sri lankan air force hitting targets with 100% precision that was not the case in the past. They were certain that these missions were carried out by Pakistani pilots.

Good to hear that LTTE fears PAF skills.

Last edited:
LTTE commanders said, all these precision strikes can't be done by Lankan pilots for sure.

LTTE commanders said, all these precision strikes can't be done by Lankan pilots for sure.

They were Pakistani Pilots 12 of them. I don't understand why make a statement a make a fool out of your self when half the world knows about it. PAF not only trained them but took part in the Strikes.

They were Pakistani Pilots 12 of them. I don't understand why make a statement a make a fool out of your self when half the world knows about it. PAF not only trained them but took part in the Strikes.

hi muradk , with all due respect who else has backed your claim...

Sir Muradk Doesn't need a source his credentials are way above asking for someone to back him up.
Well when the topic is already open 3 of my course-mates are in the team. Air Cdre Zahoor-ul-Hussian was in command.

Sir Muradk Doesn't need a source his credentials are way above asking for someone to back him up.
Well when the topic is already open 3 of my course-mates are in the team. Air Cdre Zahoor-ul-Hussian was in command.

buddy .. there was no need to get over excited over my innocent query .. all i asked was in reply to what he said. he said half of the world knows it .. i guess some of us are staying in the other half 'coz i certainly wasn't aware of it .. with the kinda confidence you have shown in him i am sure he knows much more than i know and i am certainly not a military man..

P.S - if you know 'bout someone involved in a certain operation no need to share their name ..these things are top secret i guess. dats y they haven't been confirmed by the respective government.

all wat matters is that today our srilankan brothers are livin in peace. they have thanked us for our cooperation as well. lets keep it this way and not get ourselves involved in anything which might hurt our friends in that country.

buddy .. there was no need to get over excited over my innocent query .. all i asked was in reply to what he said. he said half of the world knows it .. i guess some of us are staying in the other half 'coz i certainly wasn't aware of it .. with the kinda confidence you have shown in him i am sure he knows much more than i know and i am certainly not a military man..

P.S - if you know 'bout someone involved in a certain operation no need to share their name ..these things are top secret i guess. dats y they haven't been confirmed by the respective government.

sir Muradk is Ex PAF pilot. i guess he was talkin about the professional world (forces) and not civillians lik me.

sir Muradk is Ex PAF pilot. i guess he was talkin about the professional world (forces) and not civillians lik me.

i know AJ .. its sumthing which probably professionals know and not civilians like yu and me 'coz its not in public domain... just one query AJ why only the pakistani newspapers are reporting it and something like this never came out in srilankan newspapers considering that there have been leaks of numerous kinds coming out of that place during and after the war.

so sir muradk , which all aircrafts have you flown??? its a question out of curiosity .. haven't spoken to any airforce pilot before ever :crazy: <<< dats not a crazy emote .. dats like saluting 'coz they dont have one

PAF certainly did not fly 3K sorties for them. I am sure PAF were involved in some ways and the denial makes sense for both SLAF and PAF. Some details are better left off the table.

We had no less than AVM Shehzad Chaudhry (formerly DCAS - Ops) in SL to provide guidance. I think it would be injustice to the SLs to assume that someone else fought their war but PAF did have a part in supporting the Sri Lankans.

Last edited:
PAF certainly did not fly 3K sorties for them. I am sure PAF were involved in some ways and the denial makes sense for both SLAF and PAF. Some details are better left off the table.

We had no less than AVM Shehzad Chaudhry (formerly DCAS - Ops) in SL to provide guidance. I think it would be injustice to the SLs to assume that someone else fought their war but PAF did have a part in supporting the Sri Lankans.

When they sent AVM (R) SHEHZAD C it was in the news papers, Who replaced a Maj Gen.

3k sorties sounded a lot.. seemed like SL air force didn't exist or their pilots were incompetent . i guess there was logistical and technical support provided to lanka by pakistan on the lines of support provided by other countries in other areas like india did for radar and china fr armoured vehicles. ..

3k sorties sounded a lot.. seemed like SL air force didn't exist or their pilots were incompetent . i guess there was logistical and technical support provided to lanka by pakistan on the lines of support provided by other countries in other areas like india did for radar and china fr armoured vehicles. ..

I leave the forum for 1 min and all hell breaks loose:lol: Jabar 1 is right the circles I travel in when I ask a question those people don't lie to me, Most of the times he knows more than I do because he is in contact with my students who are now running PAF.
notting PAF did train them and flew quite a lot of mission but not 3k. We trained them and then told them to lead and were observers if they screwed up which they did then our pilots used to tell them ok now do it this way follow me in.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom