What's new

Pak CWG contingent hit by controversy

compak

Reaction score
NEW DEHLI: Pakistan Commonwealth Games squad has been hit by a controversy over leadership of the squad during the march-past at the opening ceremony, Geo News reported Sunday.

Gold Medalist weightlifter Shuja ud Din Malik was to lead the squad but at the last moment Chief de Mission Dr Mohammad Ali Shah took the flag.

During live broadcast of the ceremony, name of Shuja ud Din Malik was also displayed as the leader of the contingent.

Rashid Mehmood, an official of weightlifting team, told Geo News that Dr Shah has threatened to send the squad back home.

Pak CWG contingent hit by controversy - GEO.tv

When the whole system is going bad in a country,how can sports survive,not only cricket but other examples are now coming too..

Flag row: Pakistani weightlifters threaten to quit CWG

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's weightlifting team has threatened to pull out of the Oct 3-14 Commonwealth Games after a verbal spat with their contingent leader over carrying their national flag at the grand opening ceremony in New Delhi.

Sheikh Rashid, weightlifting team coach, told Dawn from New Delhi that Shujauddin Malik, who is a gold medallist in weightlifting, was to carry the flag and lead the national contingent at the opening ceremony at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

However, at the last moment, Muhammad Ali Shah, who heads the Pakistan contingent, said that he would be carrying the nation flag.

Weightlifting team members felt slighted and they insisted that the national flag must be carried by Shujauddin. This led to a verbal altercation between the weightlifters and Shah.

Shah refused to hand over the national flag and led the contingent at the opening ceremony, Dawn quoted Rashid as saying.

The coach said that the players participated in the opening ceremony just for national dignity.

Rashid said: "However, my players will not feature in events and will come back unless Mr Shah apologises to the contingent."

He added that several other athletes and Indian officials were witness to the spat between them and Shah.

its really funny to see this NEWS @ being headline on diff indian news website ... :)

geo is not indian.:victory::victory::victory:

TOI is not Pakistani :azn:
2rrnofc.jpg

Last edited:
We Indians have given roaring welcome to Pakistan in Delhi, I wish them luck.

Forget all controversies yaraan, Play for Pakistan and its glory. :pakistan::pakistan:

He was acting like a jack @ss, but why cry over a split milk..PERIOD

everything will be good after couple of days, and stop fighting!

Go pakis go !!!!! i give my full support to Pakistani team,,, and wish them super good luck ....

after India i would like to see Pakistan winning the medals .. over any other nation....

guys shyt happens - Pakistan will surely shock some top dogs.

Lifters threaten pullout from Pak C'Wealth Games team but stopped

Pakistan's weightlifters threatened to pull out of the Delhi Commonwealth Games after a showdown with their contingent leader over carrying the national flag at last night's opening ceremony but trouble was averted when officials sorted out the "misunderstanding".

Melbourne Commonwealth Games gold medallist lifter Shujauddin Malik was originally supposed to carry the national flag at the Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium but Pakistan contingent head Muhammad Ali Shah ultimately carried it after a last-minute change of plans.

Weightlifting coach Sheikh Rashid said his wards felt slighted and did not wish to compete in the event.

"...my players will not feature in events and will come back unless Mr Shah apologises to the contingent," Rashid was quoted as saying by The Dawn.

But Pakistan's chef de mission Mohammad Ali Shah said the matter has been sorted out.

"There was a strong rumour to create trouble in the team. The reports were just rumours. There was a misunderstanding which has been sorted out after a meeting this morning. The matter is closed and all the lifters are training now," he said.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/repor...m-pak-c-wealth-games-team-but-stopped_1447414

Back
Top Bottom