What's new

Pak boat 4 persons on boat blew themselves up! After hot pursuit by Coast Guard in Arabian Sea

'Valuable Cargo' Chat Was Intercepted Before Fishing Boat

nitin_gokhale_new_pic_240.jpg

• (Nitin Gokhale is a well-known defence and strategic affairs analyst, author and media trainer.)

Had it not been for the National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO)'s electronic and cyberspace surveillance capability, the Indian Coast Guard would have found it difficult to prevent a 26/11-type of intrusion from the Arabian Sea on New Year's Eve. (Pakistani Boat Blows Itself Up at Sea Off Porbandar)

Sketchy but important details available with me indicate that it was the NTRO's interceptors who first chanced upon a conversation that spoke of "delivering valuable cargo" on the India coast and that "arrangements were made to receive it on the Western sea coast" on the morning of December 31.

The call had originated in Karachi. Still, it was only one input. So the Indian Navy and Coast Guard were immediately told to look for suspicious boats. As the search was mounted by ships and airplanes, it was not until 11 pm on December 31 that a boat was spotted.

The Coast Guard and the Navy, already on alert because of heightened tension with Pakistan, were then informed. The Coast Guard kept a close vigil through the day on December 31 off the Porbandar coast.

Around 11 pm, a suspicious boat was spotted about 200 nautical miles off the coast of Porbandar. It was just bobbing around mid-sea and didn't show the usual activity of a fishing boat. Moreover, no Pakistani fishing boat travels this far from the country's coast.

With suspicion aroused, a Coast Guard ship sought to intercept the fishing boat and investigate. Instead of cooperating with the Indian Coast Guard, the fishing boat tried to head back towards Karachi. As the chase began, several warning shots were fired. After an hour, perhaps running low on fuel, the occupants set the fishing boat on fire. Several loud explosions occurred and a massive fire broke out on the boat. At least four men were spotted on the boat before it sank, according to a Ministry of Defence statement. (Read more...)

Intelligence sources say going by the intercepts and the movement of the boat, it can be concluded that it was carrying deadly explosives and possibly guns meant for delivery on the Western sea board of India to a predetermined spot and a group of people. It is, however, not clear if the target was Mumbai like last time or any other major tourist spot on the Western sea coast.

A further search of the area is still on but the well-coordinated operation shows that post-26/11, India's maritime surveillance and prevention capabilities have shown major improvements. The coordination between different agencies is now almost real time as this operation has demonstrated but despite such a progress, there's no guarantee that future terror attacks can be prevented simply because terrorists have the luxury of choosing the time and space for the attack.

"RAW,CIA,MOSSAD ,Zionist hindoo baniye ki khurrafat hai,we will take revenge
Kustuntuniya se leke arab tak pakistan ka sabz-hilali parcham lehraega"- Zaid Hamid BC (best comedian)

It too hope that they were not Fishermen but Terrorist. Further, I don't believe India wants to teach Pakistan any lessons. Whatever statments been given, it's given for Political Consumption.

Pakistan comes in discussion, if something like this happens. Most of us want peaceful and cordial relationship with Pakistan. However, 'K' issue doesn't allows it.

hopefully they were not ordinary fishermen blown up by Indian Naval guns.. fishing in the waters at the time when "India wants to teach Pakistan a lesson".

normally Indian/ Pakistani fishermen are arrested and jailed until both governments release them from time to time.
if the Indian story is entirely true then they can Only be terrorists who would kill themselves. smugglers would simply give up.

for the sake of Indian fishermen and Pakistani fishermen I hope this is a true story.
by the way bad weather fishing is also wrong but then again without navigation and weather radars these fishermen do find them facing storms too.
who knows.. for now we believe the Indian MOD and hope its nothing to do with deflecting the possible ahm .. "mistake" of shooting the rangers before the meeting

Both countries have their POV. India: Pakistan broke Ceasefire and Pakistan: India broke Ceasefire etc....Bhagwan Jane, who is saying truth. However, a normal citizen would go by it's Army/Government's Prerogative.

Hum toh bas Amaan ki Aksha rakhte hai doono Mulkhoo Kay beech may.

Thank heavens they blew themselves up.

Kudos to Coast Guard for their vigilance.

I think after this, we need to have a more ruthless coastal patrol regulatory structure:

1- Ask for verbal confirmation in English and Hindi/Urdu
2- Warn thrice verbally
3- Give three warning shots while issuing final warning verbally
4- Simply unload all the ammunition on the incoming trawler/boat/tugboat etc.

So which one to believe they set the boat on fire or they exploded themselves. Or your coast guard will come up with a third version.

"Although the boat did eventually stop after warning shots were fired, the four-man crew then allegedly hid themselves below deck before setting the boat on fire which triggered a large explosion."

Pakistani boat blows self up after India navy chase: Indian defence ministry - World - DAWN.COM

4 feared killed as explosives-laden Pakistan vessel sinks off Gujarat - The Hindu

The explosion was triggered by a fire set off by a four-member crew after the Indian Coast Guard intercepted the vessel near the India-Pakistan maritime boundary.

Four crew members of an explosive-laden boat were feared dead in an explosion triggered by the fire set off by them after the Indian Coast Guard intercepted the vessel near the India-Pakistan maritime boundary late December 31, 2014.

The Coast Guard ships and aircraft spotted a suspicious fishing boat 365 km off Porbandar in the Arabian Sea, following intelligence inputs that one such boat from Keti Bandar near Karachi was planning some illicit transaction.

The Coast Guard ship tracked down the boat and after an hour-long hot pursuit, intercepted it. “Four persons were seen on the boat who disregarded all warnings by the Coast Guard ship... the crew hid themselves in below deck compartment and set the boat on fire, which resulted in an explosion and major fire on the boat,” said a Coast Guard release.

An intelligence-based midnight operation was conducted on the intervening night of December 31, 2014 and Friday by the Indian Coast Guard ships and aircraft to intercept a suspect fishing boat in Arabian Sea near Indo-Pak maritime boundary, approximately 365 km from Porbander, the release said.

“As per the intelligence inputs received on 31st December, a fishing boat from KetiBunder near Karachi was planning some illicit transaction in Arabian Sea. Based on the input, Coast Guard Dornier aircraft undertook sea — air coordinated search and located the suspect fishing boat. Thereafter, the Coast Guard ship on patrol in area was diverted and intercepted the unlit boat at about midnight of 31st December in position 365 km West-South West of Porbandar,” the release added.

“The Coast Guard ship warned the fishing boat to stop for further investigation of the crew and cargo; however, the boat increased speed and tried to escape away from the Indian side of maritime boundary. The hot pursuit continued for nearly one hour and the Coast Guard ship managed to stop the fishing boat after firing warning shots. Four persons were seen on the boat who disregarded all warnings by the Coast Guard ship to stop and cooperate with investigation. Soon thereafter, the crew hid themselves in below deck compartment and set the boat on fire, which resulted in explosion and major fire on the boat.

“Due to darkness, bad weather and strong winds, the boat and persons on board could not be saved or recovered. The boat burnt and sank in the same position, in early hours of 1st January. Coast Guard ships and aircraft are continuing operations in area to search for any possible survivor. Coast Guard and other security agencies are maintaining high vigil in maritime and coastal areas since last couple of months due to several inputs on threat from the sea.”

Thank heavens they blew themselves up.

Kudos to Coast Guard for their vigilance.

I think after this, we need to have a more ruthless coastal patrol regulatory structure:

1- Ask for verbal confirmation in English and Hindi/Urdu
2- Warn thrice verbally
3- Give three warning shots while issuing final warning verbally
4- Simply unload all the ammunition on the incoming trawler/boat/tugboat etc.

Have to increase patrols all along the maritime zone as even President Obama is going to come to India in the coming days.

u work for terrorists :o:
Yes i do! i am wearing a nuclear jacket at a moment. And i also have 1 kilo ton of uranium in my bag. And radio active bullets in my rifle. And i also have sprinkled a radio active substance all over my self. And guess what i also have code which is required to initiate all nukes of the world, and its right here in my left pocket.
And a laptop which i have bought for a purpose to penetrate into indian control and command system and to disintegrate all nukes of india.:devil:

And guess what i am going to blow everyone here on PDF...3...2...1:wave:

Just keep dreaming... I hope they were not innocent fishermen.

Mal-intents better to be kept at bay for any sort of interjection and intrusion. On latter part of your comment, do fishermen carry such load of explosives? Wonder if civilians are that equipped !:disagree:

Kudos Coast Guards.. 4 rats sent to hell and more to follow... :yahoo:

Not sure why Pakistanis not happy.. they are also hunting rats now.. Maybe these are good rats for them?? :undecided:

Im more inclined to smugglers..

Ok .Since when did the smugglers give 5 lakhs for their operatives before a smuggling mission?
Their call was intercepted and is live in news channel.

It too hope that they were not Fishermen but Terrorist. Further, I don't believe India wants to teach Pakistan any lessons. Whatever statments been given, it's given for Political Consumption.

fishermen community is closely knit and small. they will come out saying they are missing family members. if its a mistaken identity
also the terrorists should also come out owning to that attempt as they usually do. (mostly when they succeed in the attack).

any mobile or radio intercepts will be helpful too.

for starters .. the Indian chapter of Al Qaeda wont find an easy unchallenged ride to any port in India now. in Pakistan they managed it due to inside help but were taken out before they would do some serious damage.

What we know so far: 10 interesting points
1. An intelligence-based midnight operation was conducted by the Coast Guard ships and aircraft to intercept the suspect fishing boat, approximately 365 km off Porbander in Gujarat, on the intervening night of December 31 and January 1 after a hot pursuit. This is an incident that comes a month after sixth anniversary of the Mumbai terror attack.

2. A fishing boat from KetiBunder near Karachi was planning some illicit transaction in Arabian Sea, a statement by the defence ministry said.

3. Based on the information, a Coast Guard Dornier aircraft undertook sea-air coordinated search and located the suspect fishing boat.

4. The Coast Guard ship on patrol in the area was diverted and intercepted the unlit boat at about midnight of December 31 in a position 365 km west-south west off Porbandar.

5. The Coast Guard ship warned the fishing boat to stop for further investigation of the crew and cargo. However, the boat increased speed and tried to escape away from the Indian side of the maritime boundary.

6. The hot pursuit continued for nearly one hour and the Coast Guard ship managed to stop the fishing boat after firing warning shots.

7. Four persons were seen on the boat who disregarded all warnings by the Coast Guard ship to stop and cooperate with investigation. Soon thereafter, the crew hid themselves in below deck compartment and set the boat on fire, which resulted in an explosion and major fire on the boat.

8. Due to darkness, bad weather and strong winds, the boat and persons on board could not be saved or recovered. The boat burnt and sank in the same position, in early hours of January one.

9. The Coast Guard and other security agencies were maintaining high vigil in the maritime and coastal areas in the last couple of months due to several inputs on threat from the sea.

10. Ten terrorists involved in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack had reached Mumbai in a boat from Karachi in Pakistan. The attack had left 166 people dead.

Pak 'terror' boat intercepted off Gujarat coast — What we know so far: 10 interesting points - The Times of India

Here is the initial statment

#BreakingNews Pak boat from Keti Bunder near Karachi! After hot pursuit by Coast Guard in Arabian Sea, 4 persons on boat blew themselves up!

— Rajat Pandit (@originalpandit) January 2, 2015

Now they are changing the statement that people hid below deck , set the boat on fire which caused the boat to blow up.

However even now the picture they released does not corroborate with the blowing up part as structurally the boat apears to be intact.

FAIL! this is turning out to be epic FAIL

Back
Top Bottom