What's new

PAF Base - Minhas

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
excellent article in sept edition of AFM. highlighting history of no 14 sqdn "tail choppers" and 25 sqdn "Eagles".

no 14 raised in 1948 has a glourious history of victories in battle (65,71,afghan war)
no 25 raised in 1996 is a fairly new unit flying mirage 5EF's ROSE11.

both units belong to the 25th TW.

hey webmaster what r the rules for posting the article with pics for our esteemed members to share.

Do not paste anything here. AFM editor Alan Warnes puts out a lot of effort in traveling, photographing and writing articles (especially for PAF...he always goes himself instead of sending his staff) that he expects to get paid for. It would be dishonest to publish his or any other magazine's scans here. Just give a summary for the readers.

ok blain2 - no issue - i will prepare a summary

just one correction in my earlier post. i had mentioned that both sqdns based at minhas belong to 25 TAW - actually it is 33rd TAW

Kamra is a village on a small hill attock, it about half mile off the gt road to your left as you are heading to peshawar. It is on the border of an area called chahch and hiinkian which are spereated by the gt road, is about 15 minutes drive from attock city, its a very nice town and a milatary complex, this small village of kamra is made famous by the milatary complex, the land was aquired from the local villagers by goverment in 70s etc, you ghazi barotha project running through there an all, i have visited most the facilities there and saiwal which is not too far where pof factory is located, i grew up in the area had the best years of my life.

Over the years i have seen the facilities at kamra get bigger and better and hopefully InshaAllah jf17 program will rum smoothley and further imrove the experience and learning of engineers and technicians.

Kamra-Minhas air base, is situated 65km south-west of Islamabad. base is home to the 33rd Tactical Wing with two sqdns under its control.
no 14 tail-choppers
no 25 eagles
plus a SAR sqdn 87 operating Alouette IIIs.
the CO of 33rd TAW is AC-Jamshed Khan who is a F-6, F-7 & F-16 pilot. involved in the radar testing of the Grifo-7 on F-7s
notable pilots and COs have included WingCdr Kaleem Sadaat who became ACM of the PAF (03-06)
AC Hameed Qadri, an F-16 ace, who was killed on July 22nd, 2002 when a F-7P he was flying crashed. 16 years earlier he was the 1st pilot to score a kill in a F-16 when he shot down a afghan a/c SU-22 with a AIM-9L sidewinder.
all F-7Ps are equipped with the Grifo-7 radar and have the AIM-9L Sidewinder as their main weapon.
all Mirage5-EFs are equipped with FLIR system,large supersonic fuel tanks which give it a range of 3,400KM.
the eagles operate the mirage5EF -ROSEIIs with night attack as their main role.OC is WingCdr Randhawa.
if any one knows anything about the PAF, then they are certainly aware of no 14 sqdn tail-choppers whose history is replete with glorious victories in 65, 71 wars. the equipment that has been used by the sqdn through the years include F-86s, F-6s and F-16 A/Bs. these days they are operating the F-7Ps.the OC is WingCdr Mohd Asif.
over 130 F-7Ps have been delivered to the PAF between 1988 and 1993. all are being equipped with the Grifo-7 radar and AIM-9L Sidewinder.

Back
Top Bottom