What's new

Outpacing U.S., China now the world’s largest gorger of energy

ao333

Reaction score
Country
Canada
China has leaped ahead of the United States as the world’s largest energy consumer, marking yet another tectonic shift in the global economic order.

Already this year, China has sped past the United States as the largest auto market on the planet and moved ahead of Germany as the world’s No. 1 exporter. Now, driven by a seemingly endless series of major infrastructure projects as well as rising demand from its fast-growing consumer class, China’s energy consumption is outstripping the U.S., according to the International Energy Agency.

China last year consumed 2.252 billion tonnes of oil equivalent of energy from sources including coal, oil, natural gas, hyrdro and nuclear power, about 4 per cent more than the United States, the IEA said told the paper. The U.S. had held the title of the world’s biggest energy user since the early 1900s.

Ascendance to the top spot underscores the rising influence of the world’s fastest growing major economy and the reordering of international power following the global financial crisis. China’s oil-equivalent consumption, which includes crude oil, nuclear, coal, natural gas and hydropower, was just half the size of the U.S. 10 years ago.

“It shows the importance of the Chinese economy and it is being better reflected in consumption of energy, raw materials and the trade flows rather than the nominal GDP data” said Na Liu, founder of CNC Asset Management Ltd., a Toronto-based investment firm focused on Chinese equity markets and global raw materials.

Weak economic growth in the U.S. coupled with more stringent energy efficiency programs has crimped the intensity of U.S. energy demands. At the same time, the energy needs of China’s economy, which expanded by 10.3 per cent in the second quarter, have soared due to rapid urbanization and improving living standards for its 1.3-billion citizens.

China is expected to surpass Japan as the world’s second largest economy later this year and is on track to become the world’s largest economy by as early as 2027. It is already the world’s largest emitter of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases as the vast majority of China’s voracious power needs are met by burning coal.

“As China overtakes the U.S. as the world’s largest energy consumer it is not only a domestic issue for China, but has repercussions for the rest of the world, not only in supply terms, but also how energy is consumed,” IEA chief economist Fatih Birol told Bloomberg News.

“If China uses electric cars, hybrids and so on, they will impose the manufacturing line on most of the rest of the world.”

China is expected to maintain a voracious appetite for energy and energy products as its economy shifts towards more consumer driven demand. In June, China posted record crude oil imports of 5.4 million barrels per day, meaning that more than 50 per cent of the country’s oil consumption is now being supplied by foreign sources.

So far this year, China's crude oil imports are running at an average 4.77 million barrels per day, up a massive 30.2 per cent year over year. Total crude oil consumption was 8.71 million barrels per day on average, up 18.6 per cent year over year.

In order to satisfy its soaring consumption needs, China has invested billions of dollars in overseas oil projects in places including Brazil, Africa and the Middle East. China’s state-backed energy companies have also made smaller energy-related investments in Canada, where it is unclear whether the federal government would approve a Chinese acquisition of a controlling stake in major Canadian resource assets.

Chinese oil giant Sincopec recently paid $4.65-billion (U.S.) for a 9 per cent interest in Syncrude Canada, and PetroChina offered $1.9-billion for a 60-per-cent interest in two Athabasca Oil Sands Corp. projects.

China’s fast-rising energy demands will require investments of some $4-trillion over the next two decades to power economic growth and avoid fuel shortages and electricity blackouts, according to the IEA.

“I’m still a bull for energy,” said Mr. Liu. “If you believe the Chinese economy is going to gradually become a consumption-based economy rather than an investment-based economy, that is what you are looking at. Consumption of energy will continue to go higher,” he said.

Although it is rapidly expanding alternative energy projects such as nuclear, wind, solar and hydroelectric, China still derives an overwhelming majority of electricity from coal. Its coal consumption accounted for about 45 per cent of the world’s output last year and is expected to consume about half of the world’s coal production in 2010.

The U.S. is still the world’s largest energy consumer per capita, with the average American burning five times as much energy as the average Chinese citizen, according to the Wall Street Journal. The U.S. also remains the largest oil consumer, devouring an average of about 19 million barrels of oil per day.

Outpacing U.S., China now the world’s largest gorger of energy - The Globe and Mail

I can hear it now. "it's all China's fault"

Last edited:
Go! China!! The greenies are going to get you if you don't watch out!

(PS, per capita consumption is the only "democratic" way to measure this ...)

It actually worries me. As China only has less than half of US's GDP, its energy need is already surpass US. What does that say about its GDP output per energy consumption. But then again since more or less half of it will be household consumption, maybe we should use GDP by PPP instead for a more accurate measure.

It actually worries me. As China only has less than half of US's GDP, its energy need is already surpass US. What does that say about its GDP output per energy consumption. But then again since more or less half of it will be household consumption, maybe we should use GDP by PPP instead for a more accurate measure.

LOL well we are producing goods for other countries, so of course we will be taking on the "pollution burden" of other countries who use us as a manufacturing base.

Also per-capita our pollution output is actually 5 times less than America so on that basis it doesn't look too bad.

We are also the leading producer of renewable energy in the world so the environmentalists shouldn't come after us TOO strongly. Still it doesn't hurt to reduce our carbon emissions since we will have to do that anyway in the future.

Last edited:
Wrong the average American consumes 5 times more than the average Chinese

LOL well we are producing goods for other countries, so of course we will be taking on the "pollution burden" of other countries who use us as a manufacturing base.

Also per-capita our pollution output is actually 5 times less than America so on that basis it doesn't look too bad.

We are also the leading producer of renewable energy in the world so the environmentalists shouldn't come after us TOO strongly. Still it doesn't hurt to reduce our carbon emissions since we will have to do that anyway in the future.

I think he's talking about Energy consumed/GDP ratio which can in some cases be used as an index for the level of industry (high tech vs industrial production) but you make good points. The west does "export their pollution" and China does have a larger number of household to factor into energy use.

I think Chauism's concern (correct me if I'm wrong) is in regards to China not making enough headway toward energy vs GDP efficient industries. After-all these industries (banking, service, tech development etc) are easier on the workers, raises living conditions, and doesn't pollute as much.

maybe we should use GDP by PPP instead for a more accurate measure

It'd be a little better but not by much. I feel the GDP/PPP meme is mainly used by Chinese nationalists to pat themselves on the back when arguing against other people about economies.

I think he's talking about Energy consumed/GDP ratio which can in some cases be used as an index for the level of industry (high tech vs industrial production) but you make good points. The west does "export their pollution" and China does have a larger number of household to factor into energy use.

I think Chauism's concern (correct me if I'm wrong) is in regards to China not making enough headway toward energy vs GDP efficient industries. After-all these industries (banking, service, tech development etc) are easier on the workers, raises living conditions, and doesn't pollute as much.

It'd be a little better but not by much. I feel the GDP/PPP meme is mainly used by Chinese nationalists to pat themselves on the back when arguing against other people about economies.

You are right my friend. :cheers:

I for one am happy to see the massive high speed rail investment by the government, apparently there's a plan to link it all the way to Singapore :smitten: Trains a good way to cut down the carbon footprint of long distance transport, and if they are powered by Nuclear or other renewable resources its a double bonus.

I agree with you on this.

Actually I use PPP method mainly for domestic economy comparison and norminal method for internaiotnal economy comparison. Because by definition, PPP account for the value of non-tradable goods and services. So there is no point to compare those value internationally.

On the energy consumption issues, I agree with people who have problem with China, but I also agree with people who think that it is okay for China. So you know how that make me go crazy:P.

One thing people often forgot is that over the years how much pollutions had those so call developed countries have contributed to this world startying from the beginning of the industrial revolution. And now developing countries have to also pick up the tap for those fore runners while trying to catch up with their steps. I guess the world is not fair, so we just have to learn how to deal with it.

Last edited:
Go! China!! The greenies are going to get you if you don't watch out!

(PS, per capita consumption is the only "democratic" way to measure this ...)

Cannot agree more!! Most of the greenies/hippies/professional demonstrators are from developed countries that on average consume way more than average Chinese, but you try to convince them otherwise. No doubt they'll use this as more ammunition to urge China to cut consumptions.

China dismisses IEA analysis of it being world's top energy user - People's Daily Online

P201007201632451125410791.jpg

Volunteers of the Institution Energy-saving Week send out recyclable shopping bags to the public in Hohhot, capital of north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, June 12, 2010. The 2010 Inner Mongolia Institution Energy-saving Week was launched on Saturday. In the following week, institutions in Inner Mongolia will advocate green office and low-carbon life with a series of activities like promoting green traffic, boycotting excessive packaging and experiencing energy-lack life. (Xinhua/li yunping)

A Chinese energy official on Tuesday rejected a report by the International Energy Agency (IEA) saying China surpassed the United States to become the world's biggest energy consumer last year.

"IEA's data on China's energy use is unreliable," Zhou Xian, an official with the National Energy Administration (NEA), said at a press conference.

According to the IEA, China consumed 2.252 billion tonnes of oil equivalent in 2009, 0.4 percent more than United State's 2.17 billion tonnes.

However, China's National Bureau of Statistics said in a report in February that China's energy consumption last year stood at 3.1 billion tonnes of standard coal equivalent, which was equal to 2.132 billion tonnes of oil equivalent.

An NEA official who declined to be named told Xinhua at the sidelines of the press conference, the IEA and China's statistic authority collected data from different sources, which had led to the different results. He did not elaborate.

Zhou Xian noted the IAE still lacked understanding about China's relentless efforts to cut energy use and emissions, notably the country's aggressive expansion of new energy development.

He said China had outpaced the United States in new energy expansion, as it boasts the world's largest hydropower capacity, solar power water heating use, and nuclear power capacity under construction. It also has the world's fastest growth of wind power generation.

Source: Xinhua

Back
Top Bottom