What's new

OPINION: Improvement ideas for the DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile

Akasa

Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is only my opinion:

For those of you who don't know the DF-21D ASBM, here is a description:
The DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile is basically an intermediate-range ballistic missile that's designed to hit a ship at sea. This is done with MaRVs (that can evade anti-missile countermeasures). One hit is able to destroyer a supercarrier.

Now, here are some improvements that I personally think should be applied to it:

1. Make it submarine-launched. Nothing is more frightening (for a Navy) than a carrier-killer on the move. This not only can deploy anywhere in the world, this is also makes the enemy oblivious to the location or time of the attack. Moreover, our Type 094 submarines will be able to carry 12 of these while the future Type 096 will be able to carry 24.

2. MIRV it. This would upgrade its status from "carrier killer" to "carrier battle group killer". Why not take out the entire fleet with one missile? This would make it more efficient, and if a warhead missiles, another one would compensate for it.

3. Extend the range to intercontinental. The enemy would be hit before they could even be deployed from home base. This would also rid the enemy of any "safe spots".

4. Export it. Let's face it. Some countries simply love sending their carriers globally, despite the security of other countries (ahem ahem, you know who you are). Exporting it to countries worldwide would reduce the threat, not to mention it gives the other countries an increased sense of security. We could then have carrier-killers globally.

MIRV will be a nice option.

And i think if we want to extend ASBM into Intercontinental, then the best option would be based on the DF-31 model.

Nowadays to build a DF-31A only costs 100 million yuan.

I think there is strict international regulation that forbids the export of any missile over 300 km. However, we could still technically help Pakistan to achieve this technology.

MIRV will be a nice option.

And i think if we want to extend ASBM into Intercontinental, then the best option would be based on the DF-31 model.

Nowadays to build a DF-31A only costs 100 million yuan.

I think there is strict international regulation that forbids the export of any missile over 300 km. However, we could still technically help Pakistan to achieve this technology.

I think the JL-2 would be the best option for it, because the JL-2 is (1) submarine launched, (2) is MIRVed (has 10 warheads), and (3) is intercontinental.

MIRV and put it in a sub but who will you export it to? you think US will let u export it to North Korea

MIRV and put it in a sub but who will you export it to? you think US will let u export it to North Korea

Even if it is exported to North Korea, what could the US do? Invade? Sanctions? Set up first strike and risk retaliation?

Even if it is exported to North Korea, what could the US do? Invade? Sanctions? Set up first strike and risk retaliation?

Well they can start selling Taiwan some serious weapons and also the S koreans if China starts a arms escalation in the region. It seems that China does not wish to behave like a responsible world power and will sell sophisticated missiles to rogue nations like N Korea from what u said.

Well they can start selling Taiwan some serious weapons and also the S koreans if China starts a arms escalation in the region. It seems that China does not wish to behave like a responsible world power and will sell sophisticated missiles to rogue nations like N Korea from what u said.

Yeah, perhaps we should sell it to North Korea because they sold weapons to Taiwan.

They called the first shots, buddy. That's called arms escalation.

If they further wish to escalate the situation, we could be selling these to Iran.

And who's to say that North Korea is a rogue state? Where did that term even come from? How do you classify a country as "rogue" and otherwise?

Yeah, perhaps we should sell it to North Korea because they sold weapons to Taiwan.

They called the first shots, buddy. That's called arms escalation.

If they further wish to escalate the situation, we could be selling these to Iran.

And who's to say that North Korea is a rogue state? Where did that term even come from? How do you classify a country as "rogue" and otherwise?

It goes againist the MTR which China has sought membership to join, not to mention the UN trade & arms sanctions in place againist Iran and North Korea so you will be breaking international law.

Right, there's no way China would sell something that dangerous, at most they'll help their clients develop the capability, which requires a LOT more than just the missile itself.

Oh my my,

US tries to contain damage from leaked cables - Yahoo! News

In a statement released Sunday, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange said, "The cables show the U.S. spying on its allies and the U.N.; turning a blind eye to corruption and human rights abuse in 'client states'; backroom deals with supposedly neutral countries and lobbying for U.S. corporations."

Their release — the first in a series of planned releases over the next few months — "reveals the contradictions between the U.S.'s public persona and what it says behind closed doors," Assange said.

Yup, them pukka sahibs are the greatest...

Labels like "Axis of Evil" and "Rogue State" are nothing more than political tools constructed by Washington to extend and maintain American power. Simply, whichever country gets on the wrong side of the US government is labeled evil this and rogue regime that.

You can see this at work when the US labeled China, Germany, and other countries which opposed US's Quantitative Easing, which artificially lowered the value of the dollar to increase US exports, as the "Axis of Depression".

The word "axis" implying that these countries were out to destroy the world economy while the US, by printing more money, was going to save it.

Here is the article in full:
China bashing spoils chances for real US growth - GlobalTimes

Last edited:
good ideas and all but i am highly against exporting it, such a missile(if it wants to have any chance of success) need lots and lots of support equipment sats, drones you name it. now how many countries in the world has that kind of support for such a missile in place, no how many could afford, nay how many even has the technologically know-how to even attempt to put the required supports in place? not many, i could count them on the left hand. now if we sell this to someone the client nation will have to relie on chinese sats and drones and other supporting information gathering and surveillance infrastructures, suppose they the client is at odds with another nation and wishes to use this missile against their enemy, by using this missile china is now instantly involved in war due to the use of large number of chinese military assistance.

This is only my opinion:

For those of you who don't know the DF-21D ASBM, here is a description:
The DF-21D anti-ship ballistic missile is basically an intermediate-range ballistic missile that's designed to hit a ship at sea. This is done with MaRVs (that can evade anti-missile countermeasures). One hit is able to destroyer a supercarrier.

Now, here are some improvements that I personally think should be applied to it:

1. Make it submarine-launched. Nothing is more frightening (for a Navy) than a carrier-killer on the move. This not only can deploy anywhere in the world, this is also makes the enemy oblivious to the location or time of the attack. Moreover, our Type 094 submarines will be able to carry 12 of these while the future Type 096 will be able to carry 24.

2. MIRV it. This would upgrade its status from "carrier killer" to "carrier battle group killer". Why not take out the entire fleet with one missile? This would make it more efficient, and if a warhead missiles, another one would compensate for it.

3. Extend the range to intercontinental. The enemy would be hit before they could even be deployed from home base. This would also rid the enemy of any "safe spots".

4. Export it. Let's face it. Some countries simply love sending their carriers globally, despite the security of other countries (ahem ahem, you know who you are). Exporting it to countries worldwide would reduce the threat, not to mention it gives the other countries an increased sense of security. We could then have carrier-killers globally.
Easily done with Photoshop. Supposedly the PLA has a dedicated battalion of highly skilled Photochoppers.

Back
Top Bottom