What's new

Oil prices fall to 42 dollars

Imran Khan

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Oil prices fall to 42 dollars Updated at: 1750 PST, Friday, December 05, 2008
LONDON: Oil prices fell to 42.01 dollars a barrel in trading here on Friday, the lowest level since January 2005, and were expected to slide further in the days ahead as energy demand wanes, analysts said.

Later on London's Intercontinental Exchange (ICE), Brent recovered to stand at 42.96 dollars, up 68 cents from Thursday's close.

Light sweet crude for January climbed 70 cents to 44.37 dollars a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX).

"The focus is well and truly on the weakness in consumption, and that doesn't seem likely to go away in the next 24 hours."

The key November non-farm payrolls and unemployment report is expected to show the loss of 325,000 jobs in the United States, the world's largest economy and biggest energy consumer.

The US, European Union, Japan and other economies are already in recession, and investors are worried about an increasingly marked decline in demand among the industrialised countries, and a slowdown in emerging countries such as China.

Oil prices have fallen by more than two thirds since reaching record high points above 147 dollars in July, pulled down by a widening global economic slowdown that weighs on demand.

Hope to see further price cuts in petroleum products in Pakistan in the comin 2 weeks inshallah, we need these price cuts to help our National's.:pakistan:

Thank god for the fall in prices .

Here in India , we've been given a Rs.5 per lt relief on petrol and car prices are falling like 9 pins . At least something good is coming of financial crisis

Gasoline has fallen from ~ $4.00 per gallon to $1.56/gal yesterday here in Virginia. That's about $0.4/liter! good news for us but bad for Hugo Chavez!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Venezuelan crude sell for about 80% of light sweet crude so Hugo is down below $40/barrel now! :rofl:

how much Cost is for 1 Litre Petrol in India ?

Here is 57 Rs/Litre

Living in an oil producing country, this is kinda hurting us bad.

UAE's economy is on the verge of collapse. Nobody in the outside world really has this figured out because of the Palm Islands, Burj Dubai's, Burj Al Arab and so on...

The thing is, currently $44bn worth projects are under construction.

$4.69 trillion projects are planned.

All of their money is invested into concrete!

leaving only oil to fall back upon and that is crashing too. I'm expecting Arabs to halt oil production pretty soon to kill the supply for a while and drive prices up.

Living in an oil producing country, this is kinda hurting us bad.

UAE's economy is on the verge of collapse. Nobody in the outside world really has this figured out because of the Palm Islands, Burj Dubai's, Burj Al Arab and so on...

The thing is, currently $44bn worth projects are under construction.

$4.69 trillion projects are planned.

All of their money is invested into concrete!

leaving only oil to fall back upon and that is crashing too. I'm expecting Arabs to halt oil production pretty soon to kill the supply for a while and drive prices up.

They are being quite smart actually by building up Real Estate and Tourism in a Big way - this is all they will have to fall back on once Oil begins to end.

PETROL, DIESEL CHEAPER FROM MIDNIGHT

TANK UP NOW: Petroleum Minister announces fuel price cut for first time in 22 months.

TANK UP NOW: Petroleum Minister announces fuel price cut for first time in 22 months.

New Delhi: The Government on Friday cut prices of petrol and diesel for the first time in 22 months.

The price of petrol, which is currently sold for Rs 50.6 a litre in Delhi, will be cut by 5 rupees, while diesel, for which consumers are charged Rs 35.86 a litre, is being lowered by Rs 2.

As an interim measure, the government has decided to cut the prices with effect from Friday tonight, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora said in Delhi.

“We are reducing the prices with effect from midnight,” Deora told reporters after it was cleared at a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

There is no change in the prices of LPG (cooking gas) and kerosene.

The Government had in June raised the prices of petrol and diesel by Rs 5 and Rs 3 a litre, respectively and that of LPG by Rs 50 a cylinder to protect oil marketing firms against losses on account of a rally in crude prices.

Crude oil had subsequently climbed to a record high of $147 a barrel in July, but has since come to $43.5 a barrel.

Last edited:
I for one have a strong wish, that is to get rid of this Oil addiction in 50 years or so. It will be good riddance. It is good that India is moving towards nuclear technology.

Oil wells are drilled as deep as six miles into the Earth to search for petroleum. These wells can cost millions of dollars to drill, yet drilling is done because petroleum is a valuable natural resource. Although the major use of petroleum is as a fuel (gasoline, jet fuel, heating oil) and petroleum and natural gas are often used to generate electricity, there are many other uses as well.
The top three oil producing countries are Saudi Arabia, Russia, and the United States.

I am delighted that I have to pay 2005 prices for fuel right now. I hope they never rise again, but it's too much of a good thing to last.

But what I'm really delighted with is that lesser Pakistani money is going towards funding those ridiculous projects those Arabs are building. It really pisses me off that they've suddenly become so rich through no ingenuity of their own, they just hit the geological jackpot. They even had to be taught how to drill the oil by Westerners, and now our people starve while they build ugly buildings.

Back
Top Bottom