What's new

Official Confirmation: Saudi Arabia has Indeed Bought 150 Pakistani Al-Khalid Tanks

True (like self-sharpening), but the Germans found that Tungsten Carbide penetrators are more effective, although considering you guys have nukes using leftover DU is the most obvious (and cheap) choice.

I know that, that's exactly what I said in my post. :)

Please introduce yourself and if you have any military experience. Thanks

Here > Members Introduction

True, but I have seen many entertaining videos of 125mm ammunition cook offs in Syria. Wouldn't want that happening to a Saudi or Pakistani crew. 120mm guns with autoloaders can achieve the same. IIRC Pakistan's Naiza round has ~550-600mm of penetration, and it's DU, which last time I checked is hazardous to crews and the environment.

Just like when you go for an X-ray, you are supposed to cover your vital organs from any unintended exposure, there are guidelines on how to use the DU rounds. Ammunition is not like a tennis ball, that you are going to play catch with. The added environment risk does come with it's advantages....the penetrating power of a DU. BTW, war was never an environment friendly way of dealing with issues.

I know, but Saudi uses 90, 105, and 120mm. That's already enough logistical problems. Now there is one more added to the list.

That's right, down here though, we are using 125mm as a standard round through smoothbore gun developed by Pakistan. The new VT-4 prototype we are testing under Al-Haider program also has a 125mm gun. On the artillery side, we are going to have a standard 155mm round, including guided rounds. KSA has huge budget, it can afford to have a diverse set of options for its ammunition.

@Dr.Thrax I agree with you on KSA having options. They have a huge budget so I don't know why they went for Al-Khalids. They may be looking for some inter-operability between KSA and Pak forces I suspect.

@Dr.Thrax I agree with you on KSA having options. They have a huge budget so I don't know why they went for Al-Khalids. They may be looking for some inter-operability between KSA and Pak forces I suspect.
True, and I suspect Pakistan getting possibly involved with Yemen also has something to do with it. Saudi were denied their Leopards, but they definitely had the chance to go for Leclercs, something the UAE were able to do. The Leclerc is really good. They could've also gone for the K2 Black Panther. But I guess Al-Khalid is a good change in the Saudi military philosophy, a small change there won't hurt.

True, and I suspect Pakistan getting possibly involved with Yemen also has something to do with it. Saudi were denied their Leopards, but they definitely had the chance to go for Leclercs, something the UAE were able to do. The Leclerc is really good. They could've also gone for the K2 Black Panther. But I guess Al-Khalid is a good change in the Saudi military philosophy, a small change there won't hurt.

150 is a small order, I agree with the Saudi dude who said it was a political buy.

150 is a small order, I agree with the Saudi dude who said it was a political buy.
Saudis are not idiot to do politcan buying they have been testing this Tank for years and it has performed better than Russian and few western Tanks because it is specially designed for Desert. Hardly any other Tank is designed for this purpose

Still I doubt it no pics of AK with Saudis I think our friend live in dreams

Back
Top Bottom