What's new

October 1976 - "Thermidor" Greets The People's Republic

oceanx

Reaction score
Today is the 34th anniversary of 怀仁堂事变. It's possible that the modern Chinese term "事变" originated from Japanese Kanji "事変", which means an "alteration" or simply an incident that led to change.

It implies an abrupt or abnormal departure with historical implications.

In this case, I am talking about October 6, 1976, on which day a bloodless coup d'état launched by the PLA bosses and old Party honchos ended the most bizaare, most far-reaching, and many would say by far the most damaging experiment throughout China's three millenia of recorded history - The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution.

When we read about it, it reads like a dream. When our elders talk about it - actually they don't for no one particularly takes pleasure in recounting nightmares.

I'm actually old enough to remember a glimpse, just a glimpse of entire streets covered wall-to-wall with 大字报 (big posters with giant characters) on "down with the gang of four". Cartoons of 江青 (Jiang Qing) are for some reason seared into my mind.

Often when I rode streetcars through parts of Toronto where hand-made posters, crude advertising and anarchist slogans cover up every square inch of sidewalk walls, I wear a little smirk.

Mao's revolution sure as hell destroyed "class", so much so that it nearly destroyed the nation, even as China seems to be churning our new class divisions nowadays.

But then again, everywhere I go, even in the West, I sense class struggles among other things.

Is life just a Merry-Go-Round? Perhaps I am a Hindu at heart I just don't know it yet. Or didn’t my good book say there is nothing new under the sun?

Without Mao’s revolution I actually wouldn't be here because my folks would not have gotten married. They are from utterly divergent classes.

No one quite said the above to me explicitly ever, and that realization only "dawned" on me a few years ago ...

Did Mao and CCP 土改 (land reform) destroy the entire class of landlords? Yes, it seems.

But did it destroy serfdom? I’m not sure.

Did Mao practice reverse class discrimination (I mean the most blatant discriminations in the spirit of the Nazi Eugenic zeal minus the gas chambers)? Yes. And it seemed that he for a time replaced feudalism with “reverse feudalism”.

Did it achieve something? Hmm ... ask me that question in private.

Was it worth it? Simply, no.

Could it have been done differently and have achieved better results? Sure hope so.

Is it too late? Maybe.

Is it too late to "commemorate" it even if we still don't understand it? I don’t think so.

This is what I am doing, commemorating the "Thermidor" even if no one truly understands how things could go so far for so long.

People blame Mao (sure I do, too), and officially they still pin it on the “gang of four”. A few even blame Marx and Lenin. Now some mainland scholars have “gone to the source” and subtly attempted to bring in Robespierre to shoulder some “original sin”.

Is is just a case of making fresh use of “old dead white men”? I am not so sure.

After all, rumour has it when someone asked Zhou Enlai about the impact of the French Revolution, his reply was something along the line of “too soon to tell” …

Last edited:
The infamous Gang of four (四人帮) during 1981 public show trial - I actually remember Jiang Qing on TV, inexplicably even to myself:
Img274729678.jpg

Another name for the "Gang of four" is the "Gang of Shanghai". Like their more recent incarnations, Shanghai and gangs have some bad karma.

On the "right side" of history:

Marshal 叶剑英 (Ye Jianying) - 10 PLA top brass were bestowed the ranks of Marshal (in fine Soviet traditions) after 1949. In 1976, only Ye Jianying was holding active duty. The rest were either physically purged by Mao (through depravation and "education" whereas Stalin preferred simple clean lead projectiles), or politically sidelined by him and the "gang".

images
Young man in ... uniform ... I'm not sure how to describe it. A picture is worth a thousand words.

09.jpg

Celebrating the "take-down" of the "Gang of Four"

Chairman 华国锋 (Hua Guofeng) - 接班人(heir) to the helmsmanship appointed by Mao himself, after Lin Biao fell from grace and died in an unexplained plane crash in outer Mongolia on his way defecting to the Soviet Union (as per official version).

His role was transitory. By 1980, he was "eased" out of leadership by Deng for insisting on carrying out Mao's "directives". Supposedly he submitted his resignation from the Communist Party of China in 2001 because of "too much corruption" ...

01200000307188116826331272633.jpg

"Dear Leader"-style from a different time

11687529.jpg

Behind him is Marshal Ye Jianying

汪东兴 (Wang Dongxing) - still alive today at 94 yo. If Mao in his later years was increasingly "Quixotic", then Wang was in some ways his Sancho Panza (of course that's a gross simplification). As such, he was likely in charge of the Praetorian Guard - the 8341 unit at the time of the coup. This makes him instrumental in physically bringing the dictatorial power of the proletariat to bear on the "Gang of four". Apparently he led the troop that made the arrests.

But his loyalty to Mao and his otherwise humble beginning meant that his role was also transitory. He also "resigned" from power within in a couple of years.

xin_49110505085260920271.jpg

Briefing Mao.

Finally, 熊向晖 (Xiong Xianghui) - his role was highlighted recently in a "memoir". One of the master spies of the CCP/PLA intelligence apparatus. He was the highest ranking sleeper (in public domain so far) in Chiang Kai-shek's KMT military establishment. After 1949, he worked for the PLA intelligence unit.

In 1976, he was the deputy director of the PLA 总参二部 (2nd GSD Department), i.e, external intelligence unit. As an aside, in the 1990s, apparently Taiwanese intelligence and CIA were so successful at "turning" high-level PLA officers that even the then director of 2nd GSD "succumbed" to 糖衣炮弹 in the form of American real estate, investments, etc ...

Anyhow, Xiong was "credited" with bringing the highest level conspirators, Yie and Hua together ...

F200804291625151950816218.jpg

Young man

&

Older

Last edited:
你能不能去国内论坛说这些事,你在这发有什么意义?

这些东西都需要太多资料,我们如果有争论,也只能拿那些中文材料,这里有多少人懂中文?

这些东西都需要太多资料,我们如果有争论,也只能拿那些中文材料,这里有多少人懂中文?

Your point is taken, 胡子海盗兄弟. Believe or not, I am not here to argue. At least not on this topic.

English or Chinese, I have seen you pen your thoughts in both ...

But really, just let it go.

I am simply here today to commemorate the day.

Tomorrow there will be a million other topics, JXX and FYY, as in other 364 days of the year.

Back
Top Bottom