Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Obama makes 'no apologies' for Taliban hostage deal
By AFP / Reuters
Published: June 5, 2014

BRUSSELS / KANDAHAR: US President Barack Obama on Thursday said he would make absolutely “no apologies” for doing a deal with the Taliban over US Army Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, which sparked a political storm in Washington.

“We saw an opportunity and we seized it and I make no apologies for it,” Obama said at a news conference at a G7 summit in Brussels.

Obama also addressed the fierce criticism from Republicans and some Democratic allies that he did not sufficiently inform Congress over the exchange of five Taliban prisoners for Bergdahl who was kept in captivity for nearly five years.

Critics say that Obama endangered US national security by returning five key figures to the Taliban.

“I am never surprised by controversies that are whipped up in Washington. That is par for the course,” Obama said.

Taliban commander says prisoner swap shows group has legitimacy

The prisoner swap that freed the last US prisoner of war in Afghanistan shows the Taliban have legitimacy as a movement capable of negotiating successful deals with the United States, a Taliban commander told Reuters on Thursday.

Five Taliban prisoners including senior members of the ousted regime were released from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in exchange for 28-year-old Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl, who had been kidnapped by the Taliban.

“This gives the Islamic Emirates more legitimacy in front of the world. It shows we are able to deal directly with the Americans and also successfully,” Maulvi Mubarak, shadow Taliban chief of the Shah Wali Kot district in Kandahar, said.

The Taliban government was overthrown by a US-led coalition in 2001 after the September 11 attacks but the insurgency still has its own shadow governors across the country.

Mubarak said the deal would also boost morale among the Taliban’s ranks, including the hundreds of men under his command in three neighbouring districts.

“This will give us more courage and determination to carry on this holy task,” he told Reuters.

Despite over 13 years of war and billions spent on reconstruction, the insurgency remains a powerful force and has gained ground as foreign troops have withdrawn, with most due to leave by the end of 2014.

Bergdahl was handed over to US special operations forces in Afghanistan on Saturday after five years in captivity in exchange for the transfer to Qatar of five Taliban members.

What happened to no negotiation with terrorists?

I think if it were one of ours, we'd negotiate. The life of our dear soldiers>>>our pride.
Pakistan didnt negotiated for those 22 FC soldiers beheaded by khorasani, they were captive of taliban for 4 years. Nobody cared about then and they were burden on taliban.
Infact taliban killed all those FC and army soldiers in last ten years, because army/governament refuse to pay ransom or exchange prisoners. That is they were left to die, pride ko chorro, tauju bi nahi mili

Last edited:
but do we have the same american policy of no negotiation with terrorists?

I have no defence for that. I've always said that the Americans (inevitably) went back on Bush's rhetoric, you can't even call it policy, it was rhetoric pure and simple.

Pakistan didnt negotiated for those 22 FC soldiers beheaded by khorasani, they were captive of taliban for 4 years. Nobody cared about then and they were burden on taliban.
Infact taliban killed all those FC and army soldiers in last ten years, because army/governament refuse to pay ransom or exchange prisoners. That is they were left to die, pride ko chorro, tauju bi nahi mili

That's a failure on someone part, every single life of ours should be dear. Including the lives of the crazed enemies who we kill. After all they were once innocent Pakistanis too.

I blame all Pakistanis for this. We don't value life the way they do in the west. I know some will say that's because in monetary terms, the life of a Westerner is worth more to his government than the life of one of ours. But that's only a fraction of the story, Pakistanis don't value life the way others do, Pakistanis are a people who constantly subject themselves to the mercy of the world around them, news airs one day, we watch it like mindless/brainless zombies and forget about it the next day.

Back
Top Bottom