What's new

Obama: Egypt is neither 'ally' nor 'enemy'

agentny17

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
President Obama described Egypt as neither a friend nor a foe in a televised interview that aired first on The Rachel Maddow Show Wednesday.

"I don't think we would consider them an ally. But we don't consider them an enemy," Obama told Telemundo's Jose Diaz-Balart. "They are a new government that's trying to find its way."

The interview will be shown Thursday morning on Telemundo, but The Rachel Maddow Show aired exclusive early clips.

Maddow highlighted the significance of Obama's comment."In diplomacy, at the presidential level, words are chosen very, very carefully," she said. "And those words represent news in terms of the U.S. relationship with a country which had, during the time of Hosni Mubarak, been among America's closest allies in the Arab world."

In the interview, Obama also called for a full investigation to find out who was behind the deadly attack in Libya Tuesday that left four Americans dead—including the U.S. ambassador.

"Our hope is to be able to capture them, but we'll obviously have to cooperate with the Libyan government," Obama said.

A crowd stormed the U.S. embassy in Cairo, too. In both cases, the riots were reportedly spurred by a crude anti-Islam video that was posted to YouTube and whose origins remain murky.

Obama said the U.S. is insisting that the country ensure that U.S. embassies and their personnel are protected. "If not, I think that's going to be a real big problem," said Obama.

Meanwhile, new evidence suggests that the attack in Libya may have been perpetrated by terrorists who used the mob uproar as cover for the deadly attack. Mitt Romney's campaign was criticized Wednesday for issuing a statement Tuesday night calling it "disgraceful that the Obama administration's first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." In fact, a statement by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo that condemned attacks on Islam was issued before the Embassy was breached.

On Telemundo, Obama reiterated that his GOP opponent has a "tendency to shoot before" he aims." As president," Obama said, "my obligation is to focus on security for our people, making sure that we're advancing American interests, not having ideological arguments on a day when we're mourning the loss of outstanding folks who have served our country very well.

Obama: Egypt is neither 'ally' nor 'enemy' - Lean Forward

Comments: I think Morsi entourage"Salafis & and such" will ruin every positive step he takes.

as you wish americans you can have a hostile egypt or a friendly egypt but either way we will not be threatened this wont work with us

as you wish americans you can have a hostile egypt or a friendly egypt but either way we will not be threatened this wont work with us
Threatened by who ? The US has been giving Egypt $1.3 Billions yearly for the past 31 years. They supported the revolution and the elected government despite being an Islamic government. It pardoned Egypt of some of its dept and said it would increase its investment in Egypt. What do they get after that ? Some thugs storming into their embassy in Cairo and being blamed for a stupid youtube video that they have nothing to do with it!!

as you wish americans you can have a hostile egypt or a friendly egypt -
The demo two days ago was announced in advance yet Morsi provided no security to the U.S. Embassy. He knew precisely that by supporting the demo on the one hand and denying security to the Embassy on the anniversary of 9/11 that he was taking sides in the U.S.-Al Qaeda conflict.

So explain exactly how, under Morsi, the U.S. can have a "friendly Egypt"?

White House clarifies Obama’s statement that Egypt is not an ‘ally’
Posted By Josh Rogin Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 12:30 PM
President Barack Obama didn't intend to signal any change in the U.S.-Egypt relationship last night when he said Egypt is not an "ally," the White House told The Cable today.

In an interview with Telemundo Wednesday night, Obama said that the U.S. relationship with the new Egyptian government was a "work in progress," and emphasized that the United States is counting on the government of Egypt to better protect the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, which was attacked by protesters on Sept. 11.

"I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we don't consider them an enemy," Obama said. "They're a new government that is trying to find its way. They were democratically elected. I think that we are going to have to see how they respond to this incident."

That comment had Egypt watchers scratching their heads, especially since technically, Egypt was designated as a Major Non-NATO Ally in 1989 when Congress first passed the law creating that status, which gives them special privileges in cooperating with the United States, especially in the security and technology areanas.

White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told The Cable Thursday that the administration is not signaling a change in that status.

"I think folks are reading way too much into this," Vietor said. "‘Ally' is a legal term of art. We don't have a mutual defense treaty with Egypt like we do with our NATO allies. But as the president has said, Egypt is longstanding and close partner of the United States, and we have built on that foundation by supporting Egypt's transition to democracy and working with the new government."

Vietor referred to Obama's Wednesday phone call with Mohamed Morsy, during which Obama pressed the Egyptian president to ensure the safety and protection of U.S. personnel and facilities in Egypt. Morsy agreed to do so, according to a White House statement on the phone call.

"The President said that he rejects efforts to denigrate Islam, but underscored that there is never any justification for violence against innocents and acts that endanger American personnel and facilities," the statement said. "President Morsi expressed his condolences for the tragic loss of American life in Libya and emphasized that Egypt would honor its obligation to ensure the safety of American personnel."

Administration sources told The Cable that Obama's "ally" comment was not pre-arranged or prepared by staff and that the question was not anticipated. Nevertheless, Middle East experts said Obama's word choice and tone is likely a reflection of the administration's feeling that Morsy's reaction to the attacks has not been forceful enough.

"I think it's a message from Obama that taking a less than assertive position on this is going to cost the [Egyptian] leadership at least rhetorically in the short term," said Andrew Tabler, senior fellow at the Washington Institute for Near East Studies. "We heard that the Muslim Brotherhood was going to be a cooperative partner and their actions and statements yesterday were not a good example of that."

Pre-planned or not, the comments carry weight, Tabler said. He also noted that Obama was surely crafting his message not only for the Egyptians, but also for his American audience as well. The White House has come under fire for a press release from the Cairo embassy issued before the protest started that Republican challenger Mitt Romney slammed as an "apology for our values."

As The Cable reported Wednesday, State Department officials in Washington objected to that statement before it was issued -- and the White House later disavowed it -- but it has nevertheless become an issue in the presidential campaign.

"It's important to remember, Obama's comment happened in both a security and political context," Tabler said.

Threatened by who ? The US has been giving Egypt $1.3 Billions yearly for the past 31 years. They supported the revolution and the elected government despite being an Islamic government. It pardoned Egypt of some of its dept and said it would increase its investment in Egypt. What do they get after that ? Some thugs storming into their embassy in Cairo and being blamed for a stupid youtube video that they have nothing to do with it!!
no one was hurt in egypt
The demo two days ago was announced in advance yet Morsi provided no security to the U.S. Embassy. He knew precisely that by supporting the demo on the one hand and denying security to the Embassy on the anniversary of 9/11 that he was taking sides in the U.S.-Al Qaeda conflict.

So explain exactly how, under Morsi, the U.S. can have a "friendly Egypt"?
the situation in egypt is hard morsi must choose a side librial or salfi i admit the MB is not extremists but they dont want to lose the salfis support i think he will have to choose one side soon

no one was hurt in egypt
the situation in egypt is hard morsi must choose a side librial or salfi i admit the MB is not extremists but they dont want to lose the salfis support i think he will have to choose one side soon
What happened by the embassy is not acceptable. Also, protesting against freedom of speech and expression is not a very smart thing. I understand that most of Egyptians are against the film, but also they are against what happened by the embassy. Most important thing, what does the US has to do with the "movie" ?

What happened by the embassy is not acceptable. Also, protesting against freedom of speech and expression is not a very smart thing. I understand that most of Egyptians are against the film, but also they are against what happened by the embassy. Most important thing, what does the US has to do with the "movie" ?
i understand the US and their laws even if the whole world asked them to stop this film they wont do it they cant stop films insulting their religion or president all i wanted was a peaceful protest because we have insulted islam more by our actions if you have account of facebook you will see that most egyptians dont want this even the muslim brotherhood but we have some mindless salfis and they are responsible for most of the problems in egypt we shall deal with them in time

http://www2.youm7.com/News.asp?NewsID=785116
http://www.masrawy.com/news/Egypt/Politics/2012/September/13/5349905.aspx

Totally correct.

And tomorrow is Friday, lets see what happens during Friday sermons and what kind of violence will follow.

If Egyptian Government cannot protect the American Embassy and is openly encouraging demonstrations against a Fringe Movie, then Obama is correct, Egypt is not an ally and US should stop all aid going to Egypt.

i understand the US and their laws even if the whole world asked them to stop this film they wont do it they cant stop films insulting their religion or president all i wanted was a peaceful protest because we have insulted islam more by our actions if you have account of facebook you will see that most egyptians dont want this even the muslim brotherhood but we have some mindless salfis and they are responsible for most of the problems in egypt we shall deal with them in time

http://www2.youm7.com/News.asp?NewsID=785116
http://www.masrawy.com/news/Egypt/Politics/2012/September/13/5349905.aspx

All this nonsense started when some Obscure Salafist Cleric had so much free time that he was surfing YouTube and stumbled across this video and started this manufactured conflict.

The Aim for the movie makers was to show Muslims as a bunch of mindless barbaric hordes and congrats to the Muslims in the Middle East for acting exactly like that.

Threatened by who ? The US has been giving Egypt $1.3 Billions yearly for the past 31 years. They supported the revolution and the elected government despite being an Islamic government.

I don't have any problems with rest of your post and I also oppose the violent protest yesterday.
But,about this part of your post.It's really naive to thing U.S gave that money to Egypt because of their goodness or good intentions.During Mubarak's time,they gave Egypt the money,because your country did what U.S wanted,making peace with Israel and also this money helped them to keep Egypt in their company.They don't love Egypt or its people.Alos,most of that money was used on military,not on making Egyptian lives better.
They also supported the revolution,because they 'need' Egypt.Don't forget,U.S also supported Iranian revolution during Shah's last days,I don't think they did it because they really 'supported' our revolution.You know what I mean.Only interests matters,not the people or countries.

Back
Top Bottom