What's new

NUST students unveil racing car for Formula Student competition in UK

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Local talent: NUST students unveil racing car for Formula Student competition in UK
By Natasha Raheel
Published: June 11, 2014
720047-FinalBackFlyercopy-1402422968-868-640x480.JPG

NUST students will be submitting their entry in the Formula Student Competition, the most popular student motorsports competition in the world. PHOTO: EXPRESS

KARACHI: National University of Sciences and Technology (Nust) students unveiled the car they have manufactured to present at the Formula Student competition in the United Kingdom on July 9.

The contest, which is the world’s most popular student motorsport competition, is organised by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. It challenges student engineers to design, build and race a single-seat racing car in one year. Dozens of Formula Student alumni have progressed to Formula One, and hundreds more are now working at the world’s largest automotive firms helping to design and engineer the cars of tomorrow.

Shah-Talha-Sohail.jpg

The 30-member Nust team worked on the car for nearly a year. The design took six months while manufacturing it on campus took another three months. Shah Talha Sohail, a team member who will also be driving the car in the event, said the endeavour by the students is basically the result of their love for motor sports and also the desire to make Pakistan proud.

“We are an all-student team and that is the best part,” Sohail told The Express Tribune, adding that they have four girls on the team as well. He is excited to be competing with the best engineering students from across the world. “We are hoping that our car manages to win the competition. It’s an honour, honestly, even to be participating.”

The Pakistan team was shortlisted for the competition among 114 teams out of 178 entries this year. Sohail explained that the competition will judge their car on its design, technology and statistics and business aspects. “It will be a tough journey to get to the track, as the team will need to fulfil at least 1,000 rules in the book before even going for the endurance test, which will be the race,” he said. “Our car will go through different stages, such as noise tests and engineering tests.”

Last time, Sohail’s team finished at 84 out of 136 countries. They have participated thrice in the same competition. “We didn’t pass all the tests, so this year we want to go through to the race,” he said. “Basically, the scores in each test will determine our position. Hopefully, we’ll manage to pass all the three test stages in the competition before hitting the tracks.”

There is a lot more pressure and they have more sponsors. “Last time, I feel we weren’t as prepared but now I know I’m more experienced and we have a good car,” said Sohail. The total cost of this project is Rs7 million, he added. “We are targeting to finish among the top 40 teams.”

Published in The Express Tribune, June 11th, 2014.

Good luck to the green team. I'd like to see some more pictures.

The total cost of this project is Rs7 million

I used to be team lead of drivetrain at UWA motorsports, our 2011 car cost less than that. Considering the far lower costs in Pakistan, I would like to know where the money is going?

I used to be team lead of drivetrain at UWA motorsports, our 2011 car cost less than that. Considering the far lower costs in Pakistan, I would like to know where the money is going?

Acquiring all the parts would be more difficult in Pakistan than it is in Australia. They probably had to get a lot of things imported from outside the country/

Considering the far lower costs in Pakistan, I would like to know where the money is going?
By that what do you mean exactly?

Acquiring all the parts would be more difficult in Pakistan than it is in Australia. They probably had to get a lot of things imported from outside the country/
You are right about part availability in Pakistan but from what I have heard cars are not cheap in Australia either. Seems like the import factor is there as well.

Last edited:
Any by that what do you mean exactly?

You are right about part availability in Pakistan but from what I have heard cars are not cheap in Australia either. Seems like the import factor is there as well.

They are not cheap, but there a lot of people who do car and automotive rebuilding as a hobby in Australia. So the parts and machines are available easily and locally, which means lower price compared to say India or Pakistan, where you d have to run to a few different places just to get your hands on something as small as a high performance air filter.

Any by that what do you mean exactly?

We got consulting work done by people that cost us 10 grand, the equivalent in Pakistan would cost less. The fibreglass body was also contracted out, cost us $100k+. The same work would be done far cheaper in Pakistan. The team spent most of our time doing design work which, considering student labour is virtually free (excluding barbecues).

nust-620x330.jpg

NUST unveil Interactive EZY racing powered Formula Racing ‘NAS14’
Posted in Technology 6 hours ago 0 6 Views

KARACHI, June 11 (NNI): Named after martyred Naval Captain Nadeem Ahmed (Shaheed), the students of Mechanical Engineering Department of the National University of Science and Technology (NUST), along Pakistan’s leading IT and technology enabling company, Interactive Group Tuesday unveiled theInteractive EZY Racing Formula NUST Car, locally manufactured single seater race car at a ceremony here on Tuesday.

The car will participate in formula student motorsport competition to be held at Silverstone, UK, is powered by the Interactive EZY Racing (newly formed partnership between Interactive Group and EZY Racing) during the next month. CEO of Interactive Group Shahid Mahmud and CEO of EZY Racing Shafraz Hamzadeen unveiled the sports car alongside faculty members at PNS Bahadur.

Terming it a major development aimed towards revival of international sports in Pakistan. Renowned Srilankan motor sporting giant, EZY Racing and Pakistan’s leading IT and technology enabling company, Interactive Group also signed a multi-year partnership targeting uplift and international launch of motor sports in the country. The NUST initiative is the newly formed partnership’s first venture, where they power the Pakistan Student Team as Interactive EZY Racing.

Commenting on the launch of the sports car by students of NUST, the Chief Guest, Chairman of the Interactive Group, Shahid Mahmud said

“I am extremely excited about the launch of a locally manufactured sports car that will compete at an international circuit and will help build a soft image of the country in the world”

According to him, The 29 member students of NUST that designed the sports car deserved all the credit.

“We will support the students of NUST by taking the car to all the major cities of the country and showcase the hard work of these students that have brought pride to the nation”. He announced,

Shafraz Hamzadeen, CEO of EZY racing Srilanka, also announced that the internationally acclaimed drivers of EZY Racing Sri Lanka would immediately start the training of the students to perform at the international grand formula student championship.

EZY Racing, a subsidiary of Singapore Based EZY Corporation, started their journey in Sri Lanka by becoming the country’s first (and to date only) professional Motor Racing Company in 2010. EZY Racing who initially set about with a Vision to be the very first Sri Lankan based Motor Racing Company to successfully compete in the International Motor Racing Arena, have firmly set their sights in making this Vision a reality in 2014 by becoming Sri Lanka’s first motor racing company to achieve this coveted feat.

Interactive Group is the leading IT services provider in Pakistan, United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia and provides a vast portfolio of products and services in the IT domain to the public and corporate sectors in the region. Interactive Group has deployed its healthcare solutions in over 50 hospitals catering for over 11 million patients annually along with undertaking large telecommunications infrastructure projects like establishing Paktel Limited with Cable & Wireless, first Nationwide VSAT networks for the Public sector, first free to air TV channels over satellite; National Police ICT infrastructure; building tens of data centers; a public safety network that interconnects all the police stations in Pakistan. NNI
NUST unveil Interactive EZY racing powered Formula Racing ‘NAS14’ | eNews by ePakistan.com

We got consulting work done by people that cost us 10 grand, the equivalent in Pakistan would cost less. The fibreglass body was also contracted out, cost us $100k+. The same work would be done far cheaper in Pakistan. The team spent most of our time doing design work which, considering student labour is virtually free (excluding barbecues).

I think this sum doesn't represent the amount spent on this car. Projects related to research and student competitions often get funding from the national R&D fund. But that fund is supposed to be used over a number of years.

The teachers/project supervisors receive the fund, and disperse over time. These projects are on-going, meaning that the departments keep participating every year. While the amount of funding is released only once. So that funding is sufficient for many years, and helps that department keep participating in competitions for many years.

My classmates participated in the Robo-Cup competition. They received a great amount of funding from the same body. But i can tell you not even 20% was spent to participate that year. That funding will help em keep participating for a few years.

Back
Top Bottom