What's new

Novel Iranian missile launch technique - Underground canisters

Philosopher

Reaction score
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
For the first time in the world, Iran revealed a novel way of launching ballistic missiles. In this method, missiles are contained within canisters and kept in erected positions underground, covered with soil and are ready to fire. This is a different layout to underground "missile cities" we have seen before from Iran. In this new method, there is no need for the underground bunker systems. You can put these missiles almost anywhere and they are ready to fire with almost no preparation time needed.

So why was this done? This was to increase the survivability of the launch platforms. Meaning not just in Iran, but any nation the imports this system can greatly increase the survivability of their launch systems.

How easy is this to accomplish? Was is just a matter of putting any missile in a canister and put it in the ground? Absolutely not. One reason for this is the missile in these canister experience a great deal of temperature change and must not explode during this firing stage etc. We do not know the exact details of the missile launched from this launch platform system, but one appears to be an upgraded member of the Fateh family. The other is a finless missile that appears to utilise Trust Vestor Control (TVC), more on the missile will come when we learn more.

Here is what the erected launch systems will look like when it is underground (this one was on ground to show its layout):

EeGXCyQWAAIALMd

EeGbLxkWAAEyVfI

Here is the missile being launched from underground:

EeGXv2LXkAEike2

EeGXv2NWkAYkVS4

See below for the video of the launch from underground:

Once again, a great innovating move by Iran in the missile sector. With the arrival of this, now the adversary can expect a missile from almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Innovation indeed by Iran.
But I think it is not a 100% perfect plan, drones/SR-71s/spy satellites can't see the canisters underground, but you need to bury it underground first, and the burying process can be detected by them. It seems these canisters will be buried in desserts, but it is easy for yankees to detect since burying something in a dessert is apparent. Maybe Iran has some methods to make the bury process invisible as possible.

But I think it is not a 100% perfect plan, drones/SR-71s/spy satellites can't see the canisters underground, but you need to bury it underground first, and the burying process can be detected by them. It seems these canisters will be buried in desserts, but it is easy for yankees to detect since burying something in a dessert is apparent. Maybe Iran has some methods to make the bury process invisible as possible.
Yesss!

As General Hajizadeh said, this new missile system doesn't need the usual launchers or preparations. it means we can launch them in mass numbers. it's like the VLS of ships, but for ballistic missiles, underground and hidden.

In one of Uzi Rubin interviews he said Iran needed months to launch the promised 3000 missiles, so here is our answer Mr Rubin.

There must be a reason why major world powers don't do this. I mean, burying a missile canister is hardly a new and innovative idea.

We need the opinion of unbiased experts on this.

There must be a reason why major world powers don't do this. I mean, burying a missile canister is hardly a new and innovative idea.

Well because they usually have a nuclear triad and most missiles that are being expected in a first strike to survive are sub based. Silos(even well hidden) appear more offensive of a weapon to me, they will not survive a nuclear weapon. They are easy to spot by HUMINT and spy sats usually. If I was Iran I would use trains or large trucks to deliver missiles.

Silos(even well hidden) appear more offensive of a weapon to me, they will not survive a nuclear weapon. They are easy to spot by HUMINT and spy sats usually. If I was Iran I would use trains or large trucks to deliver missiles.

Imagine a nuclear tipped missile buried under dirt NOT IN SILOS! Doesn't require extreme precision guidance but sufficient nuclear blast. IMHO triad equation does not exist anymore since these things can be smuggled in third countries and bury them and activating in the proper time. They do not require infrastructure nor launching sequence like with normal missiles.

If they can place them under the ground why not placing them in water near enemy's coastline?!

Given the scale and depth of the overarching surveillance apparatus Americans have fielded (huge sums of money invested), they keep an eye on a large number of developments in all regions of interest, and mark all 'regions of concern' for potential suppression.

Now there are pros and cons of each arrangement in isolation. Therefore, it is better to have different types of Firepower-delivery mechanisms in place. You never know which mechanism will help you sling more shots towards a potential adversary should the need arise.

Given the scale and depth of the overarching surveillance apparatus Americans have fielded (huge sums of money invested), they keep an eye on a large number of developments in all regions of interest, and mark all 'regions of concern' for potential suppression.

Now there are pros and cons of each arrangement in isolation. Therefore, it is better to have different types of Firepower-delivery mechanisms in place. You never know which mechanism will help you sling more shots towards a potential adversary should the need arise.
In a way underground missile silos are similar in concept...
...what I'm wondering is how are these missiles buried in sand...maintained?

In an underground silo(mostly in case of nuclear tipped missiles)...it is built to keep the missile away from the elements...there are personnel that can make sure everything is working as intended...enter targeting information, initiate launch sequence, etc.

In this case I suppose targeting info and relevant data can be pre selected...as in each missile already has a target it will shoot towards once launched...and can wirelessly be given a launch command...
...but how about maintenance? Would it require personnel to drive to each location for inspection once a year(or once every 5 years or whatever other time...I'm not sure about how often ballistic missiles are checked to see that everything is in working order).

One thing they can do is bury a whole lot of fake missiles with handful of real ones, if US want to play "Whack a mole" with precision weapon it would get expensive...

For the first time in the world, Iran revealed a novel way of launching ballistic missiles. In this method, missiles are contained within canisters and kept in erected positions underground, covered with soil and are ready to fire. This is a different layout to underground "missile cities" we have seen before from Iran. In this new method, there is no need for the underground bunker systems. You can put these missiles almost anywhere and they are ready to fire with almost no preparation time needed.

So why was this done? This was to increase the survivability of the launch platforms. Meaning not just in Iran, but any nation the imports this system can greatly increase the survivability of their launch systems.

How easy is this to accomplish? Was is just a matter of putting any missile in a canister and put it in the ground? Absolutely not. One reason for this is the missile in these canister experience a great deal of temperature change and must not explode during this firing stage etc. We do not know the exact details of the missile launched from this launch platform system, but one appears to be an upgraded member of the Fateh family. The other is a finless missile that appears to utilise Trust Vestor Control (TVC), more on the missile will come when we learn more.

Here is what the erected launch systems will look like when it is underground (this one was on ground to show its layout):

EeGXCyQWAAIALMd

EeGbLxkWAAEyVfI

Here is the missile being launched from underground:

EeGXv2LXkAEike2

EeGXv2NWkAYkVS4

See below for the video of the launch from underground:

Once again, a great innovating move by Iran in the missile sector. With the arrival of this, now the adversary can expect a missile from almost anywhere.

@PeeD @LeGenD @vostok @Serpentine @waz
Wait a sec. If they have ability for make underground cannisters which is quite impressive then there would be no big challenge for them to make their own VLS system for their upcoming navy ships.

In this case I suppose targeting info and relevant data can be pre selected...as in each missile already has a target it will shoot towards once launched...and can wirelessly be given a launch command...
...but how about maintenance? Would it require personnel to drive to each location for inspection once a year(or once every 5 years or whatever other time...I'm not sure about how often ballistic missiles are checked to see that everything is in working order).
The highlight part = interesting plan and strategy. This has better chance to work. The more you wait, the more you are in trouble because expect communications part to degrade and decline subject to enemy attacks as time passes by.

Maintenance is necessary nevertheless; equipment will degrade otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom