Not My Madar-e-Jamhooriat…

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Not My Madar-e-Jamhooriat…
by Ovais Abowath

Shrouded with assignments, quizzes and presentations the student in me overshadowed the blogging activities that I had associated myself during the summer. But then as soon as I tried to close this chapter a strange thing happened, Madam Nusrat Bhutto died. Suddenly my county was in mourning and I wondered at my alienation to this widespread remorse. The media was buzzing with her last words, famous speeches given by her and spoke of her role in bringing back democracy from the dark holds of Zia ul Haq. They highlighted her subsequent support and love for her flamboyant daughter and all this media frenzy made me realize what a hypocritical a nation we are.

With the number of suicides, gang rapes and rising rate of inflation being the real issues plaguing our country, the media gave more importance to the 80 year old woman’s death. Nusrat Bhutto has been silent for 14 years after she witnessed one of the worst sibling rivalries of all time. Her contribution to Pakistan cannot be accounted for in words but is her struggle for power and keeping the PPP alive after her husband’s death such laudable achievements that they can be treated as a victory of democracy? With the whole nation taking a day off to acknowledge her departure from this life I wonder why she enjoys such a hero status. Is our media and the current ruling party imposing heroes on us?

A comparision with Rashid Minhas , Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan and Jinnah may leaves Ms Bhutto far behind in terms of achievements and deserving this hero status. Do we really care that we are being forced to look up to such people when the sacrifices of our army and founding fathers are being neglected just because it is politically correct to love others.

I am never going to accept the forced title Madar-e-Jamhooriat and prefer to call her Nusrat , a commoner like you and I.

Even a great leader like our Quaid has been refered to as Jinnnah in this blog because in the words of Mr. Jinnah himself:

“I have lived as plain Mr. Jinnah and I hope to die as plain Mr. Jinnah. I am very much averse to any title or honours and I will be more than happy if there was no prefix to my name. “

Jinnah was unlike the current lot out there who would do anything to be called Shaheed or Madar-e -whatever yet still we nod our heads to one motto and give the PPP one more reason to ask for votes.

“Tum Kitne Bhutto Maaro gay …. Har Ghar say Bhutto Nikle Ga “

. Ovais Abowath is a member of Project Topi and currently studying Materials Science and Engineering at The Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute Topi , Swabi.

Disclaimer: All views/opinions expressed in this blog don't necessarily reflect the organization's stance on the subject
Not My Madar-e-Jamhooriat… | The News Blog

Zardari ne apnay father ki death pe sog nahi manaya aur yahan chuti de di :p

Back
Top Bottom