What's new

Nokia, Ufone to launch ‘N8’ in Pakistan

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score
Nokia, Ufone to launch ‘N8’ in Pakistan

nokia-n8-official-1.jpg

KARACHI: Nokia and Ufone have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) wherein Ufone shall have the exclusive rights to sell N8 handsets in Pakistan for the first month of sales – the period includes pre-sales booking time as well. This is the first time in Pakistan that such a partnership has taken place between Nokia and a local telecom service provider to launch a new device in the market. The Nokia N8 – Nokia’s latest smartphone, intuitively connects to the people, places and services that matter most. With the Nokia N8, people can create compelling contents, connect to their favourite social networks and enjoy on-demand Web TV programmes and Ovi Store apps. staff report

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Nokia, Ufone set to unleash N8 into local market

Nokia and Ufone on Tuesday signed an MoU, giving Ufone exclusive rights to sell Nokia N8 handsets in Pakistan for the first month of sales.

The N8 is one of three new smartphones unveiled by Nokia recently at Nokia World, the company’s annual showcase event. The new devices are set to compete in the highly competitive smartphone market that the likes of RIM, Apple and Google have captured locally. The new phones all run an updated operating system called the Symbian^3 that brings a much desired change from the old Symbian versions that had not been updated in a long time and were beginning to feel outdated in comparison to Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android Operating System.

In a recent survey conducted by The Express Tribune, mobile phone users rated the iPhone as their device of choice, followed by the BlackBerry. Nokia ranked at number five, with most users voting in favor of Nokia’s high end models. According to the survey:

Nokia’s biggest strength is that it really does have a phone out there for everyone. This is also its weakness. Lower end models received low scores for menu issues, voice quality and being perceived as ‘cheap’, while mid/higher-end models received either rave reviews for applications and ease of use or the exact opposite. However, everyone seems to agree that Nokia makes the most durable phones out there and what you pay for is exactly what you get.

Top of mind: Mixed bag of goodies

Despite stiff competition in the market Ufone and Nokia believe the N8 launch will signal a change of fortune. Mr Khurram Mahboob, Head of Devices, Affinity & Loyalty said, ‘We are thrilled to have the exclusive rights to bring to Pakistan the latest, high-tech mobile computer – Nokia N8. The recent past has seen Ufone offer its valued customers a number of exciting handset deals and this is sure to be one to look out for. We are giving our valued customers an opportunity to experience Nokia’s flagship device before any one in Pakistan. We are also giving away exclusive internet data bundles for six months for our loyal customers to stay in touch all the time.’

Taking the Nokia N8 for a spin

Jahanzaib Haque, Web Editor of The Express Tribune recently reviewed the N8 at a pre-launch event in Dubai.

No matter how fantastic the N8 may be, I still doubt it can compete with the BlackBerry peer pressure and the iPhone’s elite status prevailing in this market segment. If I was a serious buyer, I would ask myself, can I fight off the BlackBerry crowd who will condemn me for not buying a BB – and if I tell them I bought the N8 for its super cool features and technology, wont the iPhone crowd step in and laugh at me?

Nokia, Ufone set to unleash N8 into local market – The Express Tribune

I am pretty impressed by its video quality

Nokia is good but the fact that its powered by Symbian OS and its apps arent easily available and somewhat expensive too, It may win in Asian Markets where it dominates but in the long run Android Powered SmartPhones will dominate and Nokia has to make this vital move to carry Android OS in all of its future SmartPhones in order to compete with other Cell Phone Manufacturers.. Nokia has to give up its old Symbian OS and has to shift to Android just like Motrolla , HTC, Sony Ericson etc inorder to compete in Future.. Android has huge global community of developers and its apps are easily available too.. !!!

@ Jonasad: Are you sure E-7 is cheaper than N8?

Back
Top Bottom