What's new

No new import permit for onion through Hili land port after March 15

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

No new import permit for onion through Hili land port after March 15​

If onion imports stop after March 15, consumers have to buy onions at higher prices during Ramadan, according to importer

Onion 1

Undated photo shows farmers with onions at a market in Pabna Dhaka Tribune
UNB

Published: March 14, 2023 6:01 PM | Last updated: March 14, 2023 6:00 PM

Importers are suspecting that onion prices in the country may go up during Ramadan, as the government has decided to not issue new permits for importing Indian onions after March 15 through the Hili land port -- to ensure local farmers get a fair price.

“Large consignments of onions are being imported now through Hili land port to keep prices stable during Ramadan. But the government decided to not issue new onion import permits from India, which may make the onion market unstable,” Senior Vice President of Hili Land Port Import-

Export Group Shahidul Islam said while speaking at a press conference on Monday night.
If onion imports stop after March 15, importers will suffer financially. Consumers also have to buy onions at higher prices during Ramadan, he added.

Mostafizur Rahman, general secretary of the organization, said that it is necessary to continue importing onions throughout the month of Ramadan and keep the prices stable.
Currently, imported onions are being sold at Tk24 and domestic onions at Tk26 per kg at retail level.

No new import permit for onion through Hili land port after March 15​

If onion imports stop after March 15, consumers have to buy onions at higher prices during Ramadan, according to importer

Onion 1

Undated photo shows farmers with onions at a market in Pabna Dhaka Tribune
UNB

Published: March 14, 2023 6:01 PM | Last updated: March 14, 2023 6:00 PM

Importers are suspecting that onion prices in the country may go up during Ramadan, as the government has decided to not issue new permits for importing Indian onions after March 15 through the Hili land port -- to ensure local farmers get a fair price.

“Large consignments of onions are being imported now through Hili land port to keep prices stable during Ramadan. But the government decided to not issue new onion import permits from India, which may make the onion market unstable,” Senior Vice President of Hili Land Port Import-

Export Group Shahidul Islam said while speaking at a press conference on Monday night.
If onion imports stop after March 15, importers will suffer financially. Consumers also have to buy onions at higher prices during Ramadan, he added.

Mostafizur Rahman, general secretary of the organization, said that it is necessary to continue importing onions throughout the month of Ramadan and keep the prices stable.
Currently, imported onions are being sold at Tk24 and domestic onions at Tk26 per kg at retail level.

Importers thinks its a bad idea to stop imports..... we really should pay attention to this unbiased group on this topic.

When importers are allowed to import a good, in this case, onion, the prices fall causing the local producers to lose money. The very next year they would plant less onion.

This would cause the prices up the next season. The govt would then be forced to import the same good.

If BD imports onion this year, it will be importing huge volumes of onion in the subsequent years because the farmers would produce less.

Let the prices of local onions rise a bit, it will cause the farmers to produce more in the subsequent years.

Dumping the market with imports is a wrong policy. Our money must revolve around our people and not be sent abroad to import.

Last edited:
Onions are rotting in India where they are growing them, especially in Maharashtra. Current rate is Rs. 1 or 2 per KG. Really tough situation.....

If we had adequate food storage facilities, we could stock up on them. Another justification for heavy investment in storage.

If we had adequate food storage facilities, we could stock up on them. Another justification for heavy investment in storage.
Yes. When farmers' unions/associations or Onion Growers' Associations build their cold storage facilities the country can be called a developing country. However, your leader Hasina Bibi wants the UN to designate BD as a Super-developed country today.

By the way, a long time ago I saw a Cold Storage somewhere in Munshiganj owned by Abdul Hai, a BNP MP. I have no words to describe it. I was just shocked to see such worthless-looking storage.

So, when people in BD would build proper storage for keeping foods inside? This is the minimum for any developing country.

Last edited:
Yes. When farmers' unions/associations or Onion Growers' Associations build their cold storage facilities the country can be called a developing country.
@Destranator, I checked printed materials and found that the preservation of onions does not require cold storage. A dry and cool area may preserve it for months even if the temperature is between 25 to 30 degrees. But, the storage must be dry and the air is freely circulated.

I am not sure if it was onions or potatoes, but I saw them spread below the hatched roof and on a hollowed পাটাতন below it in a house in the villages. The hatched roof must be made of Sean or শন for easy air circulation.

@Destranator, I checked printed materials and found that the preservation of onions does not require cold storage. A dry and cool area may preserve it for months even if the temperature is between 25 to 30 degrees. But, the storage must be dry and the air is freely circulated.

I am not sure if it was onions or potatoes, but I saw them spread below the hatched roof on a hollowed পাটাতন below it in a house in the villages. The hatched roof must be made of Sean or শন for easy air circulation.
You are correct. It is actually easier to store onions compared to most vegetables as you do not need freezing.

The problem is we do not have adequate storage facilities for anything.

You are correct. It is actually easier to store onions compared to most vegetables as you do not need freezing.

The problem is we do not have adequate storage facilities for anything.
Now I remember also the material for পাটাতন over which onions are spread/ placed. It is made of bamboo বাখারি resting on wooden beams of the houses. No mistake this time.

I think many farmers are not aware of this traditional preservation method. however, they do not need to preserve. Middlemen in between may need this preservation for the safekeeping of their goods.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom