What's new

NO HOUSE OF HIS OWN

javedm

Reaction score
The senior intellectual, journalist and writer Nazir Naji on the background of recent Panama Leaks comparing himself with Nawaz Sharif, has pride that he owned a house while the PM of Pakistan does no have a private home of his own.

2. This refreshed the very old now vivid memories of this old man. I had then just been out of college from a small town when there was no 24 hour radio, no TV. The radio worked from 11.30 am to 01.30 pm for two hours then from 05.00 to 10.30 evening. I shifted to Karachi. I got a job in the PIDC House from where just a 300 yards away I saw, from outside, life’s first “Club”. It was the sole night club of the city then. People like me could not dare even touching its main entrance let alone seeing from inside. It was owned by a member of a then highly influential business and political family from Gujrat. They had a large inter province transport network in Punjab. They had a monopolized bus route in Karachi touching then the most lucrative rapidly developing Mehmoodabad.

3. This Karachi based elder of the family owner of the above Bungalow and the night club obtaineda loan from the National Bank of Pakistan for construction of a Hut on the Hawaks Bay Beach Karachi. The memories in this old age fail this old man hence he don’t remember exactly but perhaps the amount of the loan taken in late 1950s was about Rs. 6,000 or so. It is today an established truth beyond any reasonable doubt that the Banks sanction such loans mostly with the intent from the day one not to get that back. But to complete the file formalities, the Bank filed a case in the banking court. Once, perhaps by chance, a young blood judge came on the seat. Pursuing the file he remarked that it appeared the Bank had no interest in recovery of its loan as since 18 years the bank’s lawyer had not appeared in the court. The Bank, again, to fill the file stomach “humbly requested” the defendant elite loanee to “please” at least “once” come to the court. The loanee on the next hearing came to the court only to submit that he was an old man having no money, no earning of his own and that he was living on an occasional petty cash given to him by his son, Saying that wearing a costly three piece suit he came out of the courtroom and walked toward the waitingChevrolet. The driver opened the back door, the “poor” seated himself on back seat and theChevrolet “amusing” itself right on the face of the court went past.

Back
Top Bottom