What's new

No - Go Areas in Pakistan

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

As one got to know more of Pakistan over the years one was surprised to know there were areas within the country where the writ of the Central Govt never ran - this arrangement existed all along since 47.

These areas existed along the erstwhile NWFP / FATA regions.

Now, one learns through news articles such as those below that similar areas exist even in Karachi.

Its an issue internal to Pakistan but it seems unbelievable. The court has to ask the Police to administer parts of the city.

http://dawn.com/2013/04/04/sc-to-hear-karachi-law-and-order-case/

KARACHI: During Thursday’s hearing of the Karachi law and order case, the Supreme Court ordered for all ‘no-go’ areas in the city to be eliminated within a week, DawnNews reported.

A five-judge larger bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, was hearing the case pertaining to implementation of its 2011 order in a suo motu notice over unrest in Karachi.

The bench ordered for a judicial tribunal to be set up within three days over the land grabbing issue in Karachi.

The court also rejected police reports regarding ‘no-go areas in Karachi’ saying they were identical in content.

The bench observed that it appeared that the reports were authored by one person and ordered reports from all 112 police stations in the city to be submitted within 30 minutes’ time.

Moreover Lyari’s SSP police was ordered to submit a report from four police stations within his jurisdiction.

Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry remarked during the hearing that in the caretaker setup the government had only changed the faces but the policies remained the same.

The bench also rejected a report submitted by Ranger officials over the law and order situation in the city over the grounds that the report did not exhibit seriousness over the issue.

Justice Iftikhar further remarked that despite the presence of 11,500 Rangers personnel, certain areas in Karachi like Lyari could not be cleared even after operations were conducted in the ‘no-go’ areas.

Justice Arif Hussain Khilji said in his remarks that the report appears to indicate that either the Rangers had submitted misleading statement or that they were complicit.

During the previous hearing, top law enforcement officials who had failed to control criminal activities in the city were severely reprimanded.

The officials had admitted before the apex court bench that their men lacked the ‘will’ to combat the growing number of militants and gangsters in the city. This was on account of sluggish follow-up of cases of their colleagues who had been killed by criminals.

The Supreme Court has been hearing the matter pertaining to the implementation of its 2011 verdict in the suo motu notice taken on Karachi’s worsening law and order situation.

As one got to know more of Pakistan over the years one was surprised to know there were areas within the country where the writ of the Central Govt never ran - this arrangement existed all along since 47.

These areas existed along the erstwhile NWFP / FATA regions.

Now, one learns through news articles such as those below that similar areas exist even in Karachi.

Its an issue internal to Pakistan but it seems unbelievable. The court has to ask the Police to administer parts of the city.

It would serve one well to also know that the no-go area being mentioned in the article is quite different from the supposed 'no-go' areas known as FATA. The no-go area(s) in Karachi are exactly what the ghettos in New York and Los Angeles are. Areas where the police does not go. Would you like me to mention the no-go areas in Mumbai? Learn to make simple differentiation.

Next, it would also serve one well to know that there are areas in the US and Canada which are parallel to what we have had in FATA; areas which are federally administered, exempt from taxes, ruled under tribal law with the tribes owning the land, etc, etc. These areas are commonly known as Indian Reserves. I have bought cheap cigarettes from there due to no federal taxes.

Another thing that would serve one well is to read and educate one's self before pretending to know anything.

Wonder if Swat is a peaceful place to visit, or is it still under the Taliban?

It is, under most of the connotations of the word. You could go there today. But its still being run under a tight watch.

It would serve one well to also know that the no-go area being mentioned in the article is quite different from the supposed 'no-go' areas known as FATA. The no-go area(s) in Karachi are exactly what the ghettos in New York and Los Angeles are. Areas where the police does not go. Would you like me to mention the no-go areas in Mumbai? Learn to make simple differentiation.

Next, it would also serve one well to know that there are areas in the US and Canada which are parallel to what we have had in FATA; areas which are federally administered, exempt from taxes, ruled under tribal law with the tribes owning the land, etc, etc. These areas are commonly known as Indian Reserves. I have bought cheap cigarettes from there due to no federal taxes.

Another thing that would serve one well is to read and educate one's self before pretending to know anything.

It is, under most of the connotations of the word. You could go there today. But its still being run under a tight watch.

I do not want to get into a one on one but do let me know of areas in Mumbai which are No Go for the police or any other arm of Governance.

The parallel drawn between the area around the Durand line & Canada/ US is wrong. In America it a part of national policy quite like a reservation or National Park where status quo is being willfully maintained. In Pak , it is for entirely different reasons.

Lastly, it would serve one well to once in a while start sentences without " it would serve one well".

No go areas-

Swat, North Waziristan & Lyari

Lyari is same thing as Bronx in New York or Slums in Rio & Mumbai.

These underdeveloped poverty-filled areas bring down reputation of city.

No-go areas persist in Balochistan: Mengal

QUETTA: Former Chief Minister of Balochistan and chief of Balochistan National Party Akhtar Mengal has said that no-go areas still persist in the province.

Addressing a rally in Quetta, Akhtar Mengal said all efforts to finish Balochistan National Party have failed.

He said measures taken by the Election Commission of Pakistan for conducting polls were insufficient, adding, the government and the Establishment always wanted 'selection', instead of election in the province.

Akhtar Mengal said people of the province were still picking up dead bodies and Establishment could not win the hearts of the masses by indulging in such acts.

He said it was a hard time during the exile and he had come back to take part in the political process with the consent of the parliamentary board of the party.

He said missing persons from Balochistan must be recovered before May 30.

The previous government did nothing for the restoration of peace in Balochistan, he said.

Mengal urged disgruntled 'friends' to shun the path of militancy and come down from the mountains.
He said the election process would be doubtful if law and order situation was not improved in Balochistan. He hinted free and transparent elections in Balochistan are very hard to imagine under the current circumstances.

He further added weather in Quetta is pleasant but atmosphere is bloody and we can smell the blood of martyrs.

Usage of force and gun is no solution to Balochistan as dialogue is the only way to solve thorny issues, he asserted.

Mengal added since last 65 years, people of Balochistan are looking towards the government to solve their problems but in vain.

Earlier, Akhtar Mengal said election will not be possible if problems were not resolved in the province.
"The Establishment is still not serious to resolve the Balochistan issue," Mengal told reports at Karachi airport.

He said election environment had been created in other provinces of the country but in Balochistan, people were still receiving the bodies of their loved ones.

To a query, Mengal said there were still many no-go areas in the province.

I do not want to get into a one on one but do let me know of areas in Mumbai which are No Go for the police or any other arm of Governance.

The parallel drawn between the area around the Durand line & Canada/ US is wrong. In America it a part of national policy quite like a reservation or National Park where status quo is being willfully maintained. In Pak , it is for entirely different reasons.

Lastly, it would serve one well to once in a while start sentences without " it would serve one well".

Like I said it would've been wise of you to study on the subject before pretending to know anything about it. There is a reason why those areas are called the FATA, it has been a part of the national policy following the policy of the British since the agreements with the tribal heads since long before the partition. For example if you got killed on the road your case would be filed with the federal authorities, if two feet off the road it would go to the tribal jirgas. Again, read. So, it is exactly the same way as in the US and Canada, except that the state of Pakistan officially owns that land where as the US and Canada do not. The Taliban controlled areas are a recent phenomena and last I checked there was a fight going on there. Read up on the Naxalites in India too, please.

Ghetto areas, your saying there aren't any in Mumbai? Mumbai is one city in India infamous for being unsafe everywhere. Read what Icewolf has said. As for Quetta its a little different, there's a separatist militant movement going on there.

And the play on the 'one' was an attempt at tasteful wit against your first post, either you didn't get it or it wasn't that tasteful, I guess.

I know I'm a little late, but exams and projects and stuff.

Like I said it would've been wise of you to study on the subject before pretending to know anything about it. There is a reason why those areas are called the FATA, it has been a part of the national policy following the policy of the British since the agreements with the tribal heads since long before the partition. For example if you got killed on the road your case would be filed with the federal authorities, if two feet off the road it would go to the tribal jirgas. Again, read. So, it is exactly the same way as in the US and Canada, except that the state of Pakistan officially owns that land where as the US and Canada do not. The Taliban controlled areas are a recent phenomena and last I checked there was a fight going on there. Read up on the Naxalites in India too, please.

Ghetto areas, your saying there aren't any in Mumbai? Mumbai is one city in India infamous for being unsafe everywhere. Read what Icewolf has said. As for Quetta its a little different, there's a separatist militant movement going on there.

And the play on the 'one' was an attempt at tasteful wit against your first post, either you didn't get it or it wasn't that tasteful, I guess.

There's nothing called a No Go Area in Mumbai - specially for the police, as for Naxal areas - those areas are deep forests so normal people dont go there anyway, and the naxals are losing ground pretty fast - at least a 100 surrender every month and a 100 get killed every month with most of their top leadership wiped out, they are what you call a "indoctrinated dacoit gang".

As for the tribal regions of Pakistan infested with militants and the slums of Karachi infested with gangs - those are truly no go areas.

Dont beat about the bush - Just let us know which are these ' No Go areas'- Not Ghettos in Mumbai - & Icewolf is no authority to refer to.

There's nothing called a No Go Area in Mumbai - specially for the police, as for Naxal areas - those areas are deep forests so normal people dont go there anyway, and the naxals are losing ground pretty fast - at least a 100 surrender every month and a 100 get killed every month with most of their top leadership wiped out, they are what you call a "indoctrinated dacoit gang".

And yet you can't handle them. But who am I to say anything, we have the Taliban on the door steps of Lahore, right?

As for the tribal regions of Pakistan infested with militants and the slums of Karachi infested with gangs - those are truly no go areas.

Slums of Karachi? I believe you meant Layari...hardly a slum area. Regardless, read whats written below.

Dont beat about the bush - Just let us know which are these ' No Go areas'- Not Ghettos in Mumbai - & Icewolf is no authority to refer to.

Bush? You mean Chor Bazaar and Nagpada? You wanted us to believe that a city long wrapped in gang violence and turf wars is clean? A city which was messed up long before Karachi ever knew what gang wars meant? The US and the flower wielding Canadians can't get rid of these areas and your telling me that a city like Mumbai, synonymous to gang violence, is clean? Pffffttt.......Stop seeing Pakistan the way you desperately want it to be, read, educate yourself and see it for what it is. What do you think Layari is?

And there goes the sensible road of no tit for every uninformed, ill-educated and desperate tat.

EDIT for the post below: @third eye, Sherlock, I've bold the part so you can see it. There's no appreciation for the written craft these days. Anyway, now I'm pretty sure that you don't know jack about Mumbai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bush? You mean Chor Bazaar and Nagpada? You wanted us to believe that a city long wrapped in gang violence and turf wars is clean? A city which was messed up long before Karachi ever knew what gang wars meant? The US and the flower wielding Canadians can't get rid of these areas and your telling me that a city like Mumbai, synonymous to gang violence, is clean? Pffffttt.......Stop seeing Pakistan the way you desperately want it to be, read, educate yourself and see it for what it is. What do you think Layari is?

And there goes the sensible road of no tit for every uninformed, ill-educated and desperate tat.

Stop patting your own back & digressing.

Which are the No Go areas in Mumbai ????

Still waiting for a reply to this tall claim.

EDIT for the post below: @third eye, Sherlock, I've bold the part so you can see it. There's no appreciation for the written craft these days. Anyway, now I'm pretty sure that you don't know jack about Mumbai.

Frayed attempts at sarcasm and one up manship can be seen through. Stick to the point.

What makes you feel Chor Bazar & Nagpada are ' No go' areas in Mumbai ? Where have you picked up this from ?

Links if any ?.. or just imagination in over drive ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There should be no no-go areas in Pakistan but there are several here in Karachi. Most are MQM but others are owned by other political parties.

Anyway, now I'm pretty sure that you don't know jack about Mumbai.

Which idiot told you chor bazar and nagpada are no go areas? I am from Mumbai, have spent my entire life here. So please go 'educate' someone else. Have gone enough number of times to the area you have mentioned to have some great food stuff and enjoyed it exactly the way would have done somewhere else. Also have bought quite a few shady stuff from chor bazaar to know to be careful while buying from there. Chor bazaar is no go? I cant stop laughing.

I can say from sure you know jack about Mumbai.

Back
Top Bottom