What's new

Navy’s Karwar project gets green nod

SR-91

Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Indian Navy's ambitious naval infrastructure project — Seabird in Karwar (Phase-II) — has got environment clearance under the new government. Another project, setting up a radar station at Narcondum Island off the Andaman coast, will get the government's green nod soon, environment minister Prakash Javadekar said on Monday.

"Seabird is a very significant project... Mumbai is a target as well. An alternative is required and that is why it is a very ambitious project of strategic importance. That too was pending. We have sanctioned it," Javadekar said.

Project Seabird (Karwar naval base) will be one of the largest naval bases of India and will be completed in two phases. It will house various warships including India's largest warship and aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.

Noting that environment was not a "one-way traffic", Javadekar said he has decided to give priority to pending defence projects as he thought that if country was secure, then environment will be secure and people will be safe.

"That is why I gave priority to them and started seeing files and many of them I have approved as well," he said while briefing reporters at the Indian Women's Press Corps.

Giving examples of other pending projects which his ministry is taking up on a priority basis, he said if one goes beyond Andamans, there is Coco Island which is under Myanmar's occupation but most of the infrastructure there is of China.

"Just in front of that island, there is our Narcondum Island. A radar station has to be established on that island in which 8-10 employees will be stationed. There is no other thing which will create disturbance in the natural environment there... And if China is sitting in front and is doing something and we can't even monitor, the country cannot run like that. So these kinds of projects which are of importance to the country's security, we have started clearing on a priority basis," Javadekar said.

He said many projects like establishment of posts for Coast Guard too had been pending for years and the ministry has started taking up such projects as well as giving importance to keep the long coastline of the country secure especially after the Mumbai attacks.

Navy’s Karwar project gets green nod - The Times of India

:woot::woot::woot::welcome: new govt.
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Last edited:
Finally, we can be assure to have lot more such news in coming five years...No doubt......HATS OFF to new government.

Mr PM will not delay the project.. And Mr PM must not delay..

Delay of project will increase the cost many fold..

I heard that PM is looking to clear Rafael deal as well..

Seabird Phase II will eat up the pristine beaches on which 3 generations of my family have happy memories to share. But very happy that things are finally getting a move-on.

The Naval base in already into the second phase of expansion after the first phase was completed in 2005. So, what is this clearance? I think, it was anyway matter of signing the file.

The Naval base in already into the second phase of expansion after the first phase was completed in 2005. So, what is this clearance? I think, it was anyway matter of signing the file.
And that is the big deal my friend.

NEW DELHI: Indian Navy's ambitious naval infrastructure project — Seabird in Karwar (Phase-II) — has got environment clearance under the new government. Another project, setting up a radar station at Narcondum Island off the Andaman coast, will get the government's green nod soon, environment minister Prakash Javadekar said on Monday.

"Seabird is a very significant project... Mumbai is a target as well. An alternative is required and that is why it is a very ambitious project of strategic importance. That too was pending. We have sanctioned it," Javadekar said.

Project Seabird (Karwar naval base) will be one of the largest naval bases of India and will be completed in two phases. It will house various warships including India's largest warship and aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya.

Noting that environment was not a "one-way traffic", Javadekar said he has decided to give priority to pending defence projects as he thought that if country was secure, then environment will be secure and people will be safe.

"That is why I gave priority to them and started seeing files and many of them I have approved as well," he said while briefing reporters at the Indian Women's Press Corps.

Giving examples of other pending projects which his ministry is taking up on a priority basis, he said if one goes beyond Andamans, there is Coco Island which is under Myanmar's occupation but most of the infrastructure there is of China.

"Just in front of that island, there is our Narcondum Island. A radar station has to be established on that island in which 8-10 employees will be stationed. There is no other thing which will create disturbance in the natural environment there... And if China is sitting in front and is doing something and we can't even monitor, the country cannot run like that. So these kinds of projects which are of importance to the country's security, we have started clearing on a priority basis," Javadekar said.

He said many projects like establishment of posts for Coast Guard too had been pending for years and the ministry has started taking up such projects as well as giving importance to keep the long coastline of the country secure especially after the Mumbai attacks.

Indeed the speed with which the new government is clearing files which previous government sit over is great !

I hope they will maintain the momentum .

Signing out on the work done by previous government is one thing ....I hope same speed and enthusiasm will be shown to newer projects ...on basis of merit .

Am i missing something here? Karwar is on our west coast. and the andamans off our east coast. so bad reporting or what?

environment clearance

That was one of the major issue of the last government, since the environment ministry has blocked several of such larger projects. NDTV recently reported about it and officials stated that 42% of the pending projects are caused on blocks by the environment ministry and more because different ministries could not get to solutions. They said Chidambaram was able to make some good progress last year, by installing a Project Monitoring Division.

However, one has to be clear that environmental laws should not be simply overruled, just for the sake of clearance for big money projects. India is a growing country with not only economy growing fast, but also with environmental problems that comes with development and we can't simply cut the one for the other, there has to be a balanced way. For defence related project however, there should be special laws, to get to faster clearances for the greater national importance.

Back
Top Bottom